The Dark Mod Forums

Prelates

oDDity

Here's some graphical backing to my ideas for Prelates. I'm still toying around with it. Red doesn't work as a colour for the robe. Also the hammers are held by frog rings on the belt rather than on the back, because with two of them crossed it looks a little too leet - like Legolas' scimitars.

I don't think they need armour underneath. You are not going to be fighting these guys in melee combat, since they kill you with one hit, and probably before you get near them.

I'm not sure about a beard, robes and beards look too wizardish. I'll try one anyway to see.

post-5-1107635579.jpg

Civillisation will not attain perfection until the last stone, from the last church, falls on the last priest.

- Emil Zola

character models site

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I like them. Very stylish. I'm not so sure about the hammer design though...something with a short handle should probably have a smaller head so the impact isn't spread out as much. Maybe something more like a classical warhammer head would work?

hammer.jpg

I also like the way they look very contemplative and monastic, but you can catch the glimpse of metal beneath their robes. It's good that they aren't red, as that will be the colour apocalytes wear, and we don't want to confuse the two.

Once again very badass! Is there some significance to the inverted hammer that they wear? (ie, why they wear an inverted one instead of one where the wide part of the hammer is at the top. Is it because they're just so badass that they can turn their holy symbol upside-down and no one will say anything?)

I never conciously put the hammer pendant upside down, I'm not sure there is a 'right way up' for the hammer is there?

I think maybe it looks too much like a cross this way up.

There is no buckle BT, it's just a wrap-tie sort of thing.

SH, the power in the hammers comes from the fact that he can channel the righteous magic power of the Master Builder through them to smite his foes, not from the fact he's strong or can do some leet ninja moves. I'm not attached to the design of the heads, but I do like the handles.

post-5-1107648572.jpg

Civillisation will not attain perfection until the last stone, from the last church, falls on the last priest.

- Emil Zola

character models site

As long as we're consistent it really doesn't matter whether they are pointed up or down. That one is your call, oDDity.

SH, the power in the hammers comes from the fact that he can channel the righteous magic power of the Master Builder through them to smite his foes,

That's a good point. It might be a neat touch if we could have them gleam red, as if they were straight from the forge.

Coolness. I like. Would it be hard for you to do a quick mock-up of the hammers having the handle switched around so that the current bottom side of the handle becomes the top? Keep the head in the same place, just rotate the handle around I guess that would be 180-degrees. I'm curious to see how that would change the look. In my mind it seems like would look even sweeter, but want to see it. I'd like to see him holding them in a view similar to your first view (http://forums.thedarkmod.com/uploads/post-5-1107635579.jpg) for comparison.

As for the upside down hammer necklace, I like that. The weight of the necklace is at the bottom, somewhat symbolic of (and visually complimentary to) the weight of the hammers. The other way looks too much like a cross, which gets overdone. But I don't know the backstory of this guy to know if he's supposed to be "pro-builder"? If he's pro-builder, than an upside down hammer wouldn't be advisable; we'd want to come up with a different design if that's the case.

Edited by Darkness_Falls

dear oDDity

you dont need anymore big words... It s just super cool...textures colors...one of the best work you have done....

but...

He has a jennifer lopez ass .. I know you wanna give me some hints ...but i told you..i m hetero.... do not make your character twistedly attractive...especially the male ones...

BEST

(i have feelings for you but keeping inside :)

Well Tyrot knows the morph map UV ,mapping techniqe in Lw, it's not quite magic, but pretty close. I'm very adept at it now, so it doesn't take long at all.

As far as which way up the hammer should be, I think it should be head down for two reasons.

First, the christian cross symbol derives from the practice of crucifiction, so obviously there is only one way up for a cross, and it's this way because of human anatomy.

THe hammer is not so easy, there is no 'right way up' for a hammer, but if I had to choose one, it would be head down, since the weight is all in the head, it's more natural for a hammer of any sort whether for work or war to be head down. If you were putting a hammer down, you'd put its head on the ground and rest the handle against a wall. WHen you carry a long handled hammer the head is down.

And secondly, they had them 'head up' in Thief, so it's an easy way for us to be different:P

As SH says, as long as we're consistent it's not problem.

- Emil Zola

character models site