The Dark Mod Forums

Thank You

miseryguts

Apologies if this is in the wrong section or inappropriate, (please feel free to delete or move as necessary)

Hello to all here -

I would just like to say a huge and sincere thank you, to all involved in the development of this sublime mod (not to mention mission creators) i recently stumbled across the Dark Mod, and it's no overstatement to say i am simply astonished with the level of excellence on display here, the attention to detail and general level of polish puts many so called AAA games to shame in my opinion.

Ever since i began to play, i have been telling friends, family and anyone else that would listen that they must try the Dark Mod.

I have a question regarding control -

My significant other is quite interested in playing some missions, however she is a console junkie and won't persevere with keyboard & mouse control schemes, would it be possible/playable with a 360 pad (using Xpadder) has anyone tried this, and if so any chance of a tut? (i have only used Xpadder, in order to set up for my better half)

Huge respect to all the dev's and content creators, very interested to see how the Dark Mod grows.

Thanks for listening.

Thanks miseryguts. By coincidence I plugged in my xbox360 joypad only yesterday into a USB on my PC to try with Oblivion. Windows recognized the joypad straight away and set up device drivers but my Oblivion won't work for some reason and I couldn't be bothered to sort it out.

As for does it work with Dark Mod that's an interesting idea. I might try that Xpadder myself. Is it free do you know? Can't see on their front page. [EDIT] no, it looks like there's a charge which is probably why you're asking.

I've got TDM running with a Logitech Dual-action gamepad under Linux. I just hacked the X.org configuration so that button presses on the controller are mapped directly to keyboard/mouse input. Left stick is wasd, right is mouse, etc. Only problem for the time being is the mouse wheel bug, which makes it impossible to change weapons via a controller... unless you want to bind every number to a controller button which you obviously can't do. There are limited buttons on a controller.

Not to worry though, this bug should be fixed near the end of the month.

--- War does not decide who is right, war decides who is left.

A search reveals that both Komag and LEGION use Pinnacle Game Profiler, which costs $20 but sounds quite good. I didn't think the controller would have enough buttons to support playing TDM properly, but I managed to map all the required keys to buttons in the following image:

xboxtdmmapping.jpg

Probably not the kind of mapping I would use if playing with a controller full time, but I think the easiest transition to TDM for someone familiar with console FPS type games. I would probably map the DPad to Previous+Next Inventory (Left+Right) and Previous+Next Weapon (Up+Down), with the LB and RB buttons being lean Left+Right.

Try the freeware joy2key instead of xpadder. I don't know how mouse is supported, but you can still just map lookup and lookdown as well as turn left and turn right to the keyboard and map the gamepad to those keys using joy2key.

@Midnight: Good idea with the DPad. I'd also suggest to have the startbutton toggle the lockpicks instead of Drop-item.

I'd rather start button toggle functionality of the other buttons. Not having a scroll backwards function on weapons or items would be a serious issue. Ever played HoLS before? If i didn't have a scroll backwards key mapping, I don't think I could stand it, lol. And with regards to weapons scrolling backwards, all I have to say is: fire arrows.

Good idea with the DPad. I'd also suggest to have the startbutton toggle the lockpicks instead of Drop-item.

Yep, the DPad would definitely be my preferred method of scrolling weapons and inv items, as Ungoliant says, without this it could get very tedious. The reason I chose the drop item option rather than lock-picks is that some mission objectives might actually require you to drop an item (i.e. place some evidence somewhere to frame someone etc) so without this could be a mission breaker, and lock-picking would already be possible, so the extra button would only be for convenience.

Hmn, makes me wonder whether you can somehow define modifiers on the gamepad, e.g. holding down "select" would map different functionality to ABXY.

@miseryguts: By the way, the title of a thread should always reflect its main topic, so that others can easily find information in a forum. Titles like "I got a problem" or "Thank you" should be avoided. Common forum policy. :)

I went with:

R1 = attack

R2 = crouch

L1 = creep

L2 = lean forward

D-pad = weapon and item prev/next

A,B,X,Y are Jump, use, drop item, and (i forgot)

Clicking the thumbsticks leans right and left, start brings up the menu, and select uses an item like a healing potion.

--- War does not decide who is right, war decides who is left.

I would just like to say a huge and sincere thank you, to all involved in the development of this sublime mod (not to mention mission creators)

You're welcome, and thanks for taking the time to stop by and say so. :)

Mmm... this joytokey might be actually viable. I've got 3/4ths configured but got to go through again as many I got wrong and some I changed my mind when I realized what they meant.

The mouselook around can work with up down left right keys plus there is a centre horizon I might use for the button. I might need to recalibrate Doom's turn speed. I finished up with left and right on the move pad but I should have put left and right strafe on there. I'll put Esc on the start button same as Oblivion. Need to experiment more but this looks very promising. I'm sure though I'm going to need the keyboard as well for extras like quicksave, lantern, maps, lockpicks etc. If I get this all working it can be quickly adapted for Thief because my keys are almost identical. That will seem really strange, playing Thief with a joypad.

I SWEAR by Pinnacle Game Profiler, extremely powerful and versatile. In fact I played the entire T2X with my 360 pad from my couch on the big projector screen we had at the time and it was a blast. I've played some Dark Mod with it as well, works great. You can do EVERYTHING with the controller because of a couple things.

Main thing is the "SHIFT" function - you can set one button to be a SHIFT button and then you can set ALL NEW button assignments to the remaining buttons! So in effect you now get almost twice as many buttons!

Second main thing is that you can set up advanced uses of buttons to do more than one thing. For example, you have a button do one key, then another key, back and forth each time you press it. I use this in classic Thief 1 and 2 to switch between lockpicks, for example, so I just have one button I use for lockpicks. Some of the functions you can set up can be quite advanced if you really dig into the program.

shadowdark50.gif keep50.gif

Thanks Komag. I see it's $20. I'll persevere with joytokey for now to give it a fair trial then I might try Pinnacle Game Profiler. That shift key thing sounds good to extend the options.

At the moment I've not figured out all the buttons yet on joytokey plus I'm getting sticking errors - strafe and camera move often stick 'on' so I find myself spinning or sliding sideways. I can get out of it by tapping again or another key but it's not good.

Sorry that I walk in this lately, but I´m/was atm totally sucked in by SystemShock1/2, can´t help but play it, even now I´m listening to the Soundtrack and after this post I´ll go back... :ph34r:

As KoMaG said, Pinnacle is the one to choose, though you have to pay for it. A trail is not very helpful, because it only runs 10 minutes. But you can do almost everything in it, like Komag said. I also implemented Rumble(Force Feedback, consoles call it simply Vibration iirc)-effects for the end of jumping, swinging weapons and an increasing effect for the bow, all perfectly timed. At the start it can be a bit confusing, but at the end you always got what you want. With switches and Double-commands you can assign everything. :)

With a little modding you can also achieve different walk-speeds for the Analog-stick, besides sneak/walk/run I mean...

Sidenote: with the last pinnacle-version-update I encountered some bugs with the Rumbe-effects, the version I use now is 5.4.0 that comes with the installer, so, atm I don´t recommend to update.

Before I used Joy2key that was already mentioned here and I tested others before I came to Pinnacle. None of them fitted my TDM-needs but Pinnacle.

Ok, advertising ends now, my goddess needs me...

-> Crisis of Capitalism

-> 9/11 Truth

->

(hard stuff), more