The Dark Mod Forums

FM: Flakebridge Monastery by Jesps

Jesps

88 members have voted

1. 1. Gameplay: Enjoyment. Fun duration. Smooth flow, ect. Versus Bugs. Frustration, Boredom, framelag

2. 2. Appearance: Visual pleasure, lighting, visual style, deduct bad texturing etc.

3. 3. Story & Text: Story. Text. Briefing. Graphic storytelling

AAS48 out of date error upon loading. Map leaked when I ran dmap. I'm about to open it in DR to find/fix the leak. I noticed some readables have upper case letters in their name... hopefully I'll be able to see those in-game after fixing the leak and dmapping.

System: Mageia Linux Cauldron, aka Mageia 8

Glad you guys like it smile.gif

@pwl:

there is a hint in the necromancer's journal (the one you read to get the objective)

And please use spoiler tags.

@PranQster: Is this under Linux? If the map leaks it could hint that the download is corrupted. Have you tried redownloading it?

@PranQster: Is this under Linux? If the map leaks it could hint that the download is corrupted. Have you tried redownloading it?

Yes, it is under Linux. I had a similar problem with another FM recently. For that one it turned out to be a skybox which was leaking. I fixed that one by applying a texture to the outside surfaces of the skybox.

I wasn't able to open your map in DR (DR issue, not your map). After a bunch of recent system updates, including a newly compiled nvidia module, DR was throwing me an openGL error which I still need to solve. Trying to compile a new DR gave me a missing 'de.po' error (is that for German language support?)... found a workaround for that but after compiling, the new build of DR would not load.

So, to make a long story short, I played your map despite the AAS48 error and loved it! I had several zombies walking in circles, but enjoyed the mission despite that. A very nice map indeed. :)

I only missed about 500 gold from the total in expert mode :)

Oh yeah, one more thing. I remember reading a reference to M.C. Hammer somewhere in the map. LOL, that one made me chuckle.

Edited by PranQster

System: Mageia Linux Cauldron, aka Mageia 8

Thanks and congrats to release, Jesps ! Great fun to me, as allways :D

Gameplay and story : Excellent. I´m becoming kinda necrophile,

loving zombies and haunts

Appearance : only good this time, again, not really important for enjoyment, but i must save higher ranking for Melan and Bikerdude :ph34r:

Everything else has been already said.

BTW, i like examining objects in game, to see how detailed they´re build. This time, i choose to examine

zombie lying on the bed in room with musical book objective... a mistake ! he suddenly arise and i jumped off my seat scared like shit, to my wife big amusement... oh i like these the horrors

edit: simply can´t stand the urge to post screenshots... i´ll provide links only, to not spoil it for those who not played yet:

My link

My link2

Edited by Trickster

Very fun map!! a lot of new objects / diversion ;) 

Very good musical background ...  A+ !!!

but not so challenging in the difficult, but.

With some story scripts it would be a perfect map for me

But all in all it was an excellent map!!

I've been taking my time on this one, playing in half hour spurts, just walking back and forth. I haven't finished it yet, but I think so far this mission might have the most replayability for me of any FM.

Your courtyards give me hope that I might yet be able to fit moonlight into my FM. Stained glass lights + dust particles in some spots are awesome. I like everything about this FM. Especially that

I can apply mines and fire arrows somewhat liberally

Gameplay is great. Looking at the map when I started I thought I'd be lost for hours for sure. But it's more like 2 alternate routes that reconnect at a point

with a couple secret paths to boot

And rope arrows!!!! woo hoo!!!! so much to explore with rope arrows!!!! even though there aren't sweet looties in all the ceiling areas theres just so MUCH to check out! and places to hide! Also this might be one of first missions you must

use rope arrows to go down instead of up. Very awesome

Anyway to sum up, I'm not even done yet, and this is already easily in my top 5 favorite FM's released to date.

Keep up the fantastic work, Jesps!

Very good FM. Fairly smooth and lots of shadows so easy to ghost although I did take out a couple of zombies for the hell of it. I never found the

treasure map

though. I found the 'clue' that said it was hid where it could never be found which doesn't help a lot as that could be anywhere. I'll have a look through this thread now. Apart from that it was straightforward. Very enjoyable and a decent size. Think I must have spent about 3 hours.

I voted good across the board. I would like to have voted 'very good', ie, between good and excellent. I couldn't quite give it excellent perhaps because the story, while very good (and I felt I actually was in a story,) was fairly generic; and many areas felt rather empty for my taste (which gives great performance but a 'run through this part' feel.) So, 'very good' in all departments and no faults (unless the

treasure map

is ridiculously difficult to find which I don't know yet.)

Thanks for the replies.

I never found the

treasure map

though. I found the 'clue' that said it was hid where it could never be found

It is in

the same room as the clue

in the desk

in a secret room

I thought it might be in

the same room but without the certainty I wasn't ready to spend more than ten minutes searching for it. :laugh: I noticed the normal switch to the secret compartment in the desk was not there (in the normal position) so I searched for the switch all around but never found it. I saved just there so I might go back and have another look. BTW I just remembered in the top right cupboard one of the sheets was bright lit. It wouldn't frob so I assume it was an odd light leak. Maybe that was it?

Another

chest of drawers with openable drawers and cupboards was very good. For a few seconds I didn't realize it was openable; it looked like a model. Maybe it is?

Hope that's a prefab?

Also the

vaulted ceiling in the basement

was really good.

That

courtyard with the key and I think the bell tower could have used some dummy doors. It seemed odd that such a large courtyard had no access except that one door.

Screens from this mission (courtesy of AluminumHaste) have been posted at Moddb. While you are checking them out remember to register and vote.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

Thanks,

nbohr1more

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

:insert evil villain laughter:

Seriously evil :D

Here's a video of the beginning part:

(Video quality may improve once processing is complete)

Hope you like it ;)

Task is not so much to see what no one has yet seen but to think what nobody has yet thought about that which everybody see. - E.S.

Finally finished!

This place was huge - managed to get lost/turned around a few times but eventually found my way. I loved the way everything looked - gave me a sense of being there. great job. I like getting all the loot so imagine my surprise after getting the key in the courtyard a glint from the window caught my eye. Had to run around to all the windows after seeing that.laugh.gif A couple of broadheads took care of those that were out of reach.

I had to destroy one haunt cause he was not moving from the doorway to the guest wing and the one in the crypt as he was hung up on something in the main room. OH YES Jesps, nice hidey job of the loot in the crypt and thanks for the hint (one broken with loot in it)

I did have a (minor) problem towards the end of play.

When I had accomplished all the objectives and had quite a bit of loot I went to go to the cathedral through the courtyard door by the beautifully lit spiral staircase to do a double check, the world went black when I opened the door - only able to see lit torches (I remember this happened in one other mission) so closed the door and took the long way around only same thing happened with the other courtyard doors. Went back to the spiral door as I knew the door to end the mission wasn't far from there so figured I could make it. I took one or two steps out into the courtyard and everything was back to normal. I had managed to find more loot in that time so just went and finished up the mission.

As I said earlier loved this mission and look forward to more, More, MORE!!

Oops sorry about that.

P.S. Yes, I got it all!

Edited by Thiefette

Thiefette, I had that same problem towards the end of my adventures as well; I sent Jesps a save and he had nonesuch so we determined it must have something to do with my nVidia 8800... do you have similar?

Also, I could spin around and find a sweet spot/direction/POV to bring the world to light again; did you experience that?