The Dark Mod Forums

I can help

ocn

Even around here, a place full of talk of rat's aases; arguments about just how unrealistic it is to kill the undead this way and that; triple-buffering while disabling vsync, that is definitely a candidate for Oddest Quote Of The Year.

Well, looks like I'll definitely get away with this one seeing as the year is fast drawing to a close. God, I've never won anything in my entire life.:D

Ah, Springheel... did you get a chance to listen to the stuff I sent you? I really need to know if the sound was alright.

Where are the REAL brits?! The one's we have are just brit-ish.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My wife loathes microphones.:D

What a shame to not get the maximum out of such a neat equipment. Your recording equipment I mean... ;)

triple-buffering while disabling vsync

If you are referring to this thread, you got the key-message wrong. Both settings are supposed to be enabled...

Ah, Springheel... did you get a chance to listen to the stuff I sent you? I really need to know if the sound was alright.

Gave them a listen. They sound pretty decent, though they're on the quiet side (approx -20 dB). There's also a little bit of puffing on the "p"s and "b"s, though it may not be noticeable in game, hard to say. The delivery is good and has some character to it.

Is your plan to use the jack vocal script? Most of the idles you sent me are from there. I'm not opposed to re-using scripts, but the voice you're doing is not terribly different from the existing jack vocals. I could send you a better set to re-use if you like, or if you can wait a week I could come up with a new one for you.

Gave them a listen. They sound pretty decent, though they're on the quiet side (approx -20 dB). There's also a little bit of puffing on the "p"s and "b"s, though it may not be noticeable in game, hard to say. The delivery is good and has some character to it.

Is your plan to use the jack vocal script? Most of the idles you sent me are from there. I'm not opposed to re-using scripts, but the voice you're doing is not terribly different from the existing jack vocals. I could send you a better set to re-use if you like, or if you can wait a week I could come up with a new one for you.

Yes, I don't have a "popper-stopper" at the moment. I'll see what I can do with boosting the volume.

I just did this as learning experience really and if it happened to be good enough then great. I just didn't know if these lines are standard and expected to be part of a voice set as a minimum. I've written a few lines myself that might be suitable, and I'll wait for your script and try again.

EDIT: Need a little more time to tweak the volume apparently.

Here's a mission start sound if someone's interested:

http://oceanarts.net/Downloads/Special/tdm/audio/player_start_01.mp3

Edited by ocn

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a mission start sound if someone's interested:

http://oceanarts.net/Downloads/Special/tdm/audio/player_start_01.mp3

You don't have permission to access /Downloads/Special/tdm/audio/player_start_01.mp3 on this server.

Edit: I didn't realize this is a week old already.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

Edit: I didn't realize this is a week old already.

Don't know why you can't access that file. It happened when I tried too, but then I tried to manually type in the address and now the link works too(?!?) I'll have the site up again by new years with some nifty download buttons, so... Sorry for the inconvenience.

Hmm, I would love to hear the ambient tracks, but it´s forbidden. What did I do to deserve that? ;)

Oh, I know:

I love the stuff you posted and I could hear. I have no complaint´s about the voice-samples. I´m eager to hear them in-game some time soon.

And I´m even more eager to hear ambient-tracks... :blush:

-> Crisis of Capitalism

-> 9/11 Truth

->

(hard stuff), more

I'll add the vocals as I finish them. Here are the Searching lines: http://oceanarts.net/Downloads/Special/tdm/audio/Searching.zip

I need to go back and redo alot of things, at least on the idle lines, as the popping is quite dominant at places- I think I was overly enthusiastic when I first finished them, sorry about that. These are mono wav files, cleaned up and normalized to the best of my ability, and I think they're good enough to release at this time.

I'm very impressed by those ocn. I just finished a new vocal set for Yandros a few days ago, so I was going to take a bit of a break, but these impress me so much I think I'll get right on writing a new script for you. :)

I listened your stuff and they sound nice. I am still far from ambient placement in my map building, but I'd like ask in advance what is your 'licence' for those ambients? Can I just download and use in my map? Can I do minor editing like shortening etc? Am I free to do whatever I wish with the assets as long I do not make profit with your work? Maybe something like this,which is used at freesound.org? http://creativecommo.../sampling+/1.0/

You do not mention about these things in your site and this formality would be good to clear out so mappers do not need to worry about these.

They're your stuff and you are the copyright holder, so..:)

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

I listened your stuff and they sound nice. I am still far from ambient placement in my map building, but I'd like ask in advance what is your 'licence' for those ambients? Can I just download and use in my map? Can I do minor editing like shortening etc? Am I free to do whatever I wish with the assets as long I do not make profit with your work? Maybe something like this,which is used at freesound.org? http://creativecommo.../sampling+/1.0/

You do not mention about these things in your site and this formality would be good to clear out so mappers do not need to worry about these.

They're your stuff and you are the copyright holder, so..:)

Yes, that's a bit unclear- sorry. I'll get that sorted out. For now: You may download and use the material in any way you like. You may make necessary edits to suit your own work. All free of any current or future fee. All I require is credit for my work.

Although I write this stuff for my own ideas, I try to get as much as I can out there as soon as I regard them completed. If they're as good as you say then it'd be a shame if noone could ever use them because I never released my own mission for whatever reason.

Thanks for your interest. It's much appreciated.:)

EDIT: I've updated the page with an appropriate cc license.

Edited by ocn

A small pack of general pain/dying sounds. Might work for any number of characters. This is one that will be regularly updated with new content, so be sure to check back at: http://oceanarts.net...ame-stuff/thief for news.

The actual download:

http://oceanarts.net...dio/GenPain.zip

Edited by ocn

Had an idea of making some short video sequences that people could edit together with their own stuff to make a briefing etc. Sometimes you just need a little extra footage to patch it up. Visual consistency may be achieved with applying various effects for instance (sepia toning/ film grain etc). Don't know if it's useful or not, (I read about the ROQ format, seems a little tricky to me) but whatever... They're going to need to be converted as I'm not ready to touch the ROQ format with a six feet pole yet. I'm very open for ideas here...;) If anyone's in need of something specific, or has an idea for a cool sequence, please speak your mind.

The first one can be found here: http://oceanarts.net...ame-stuff/thief

Edited by ocn

If you're working with RoQ please try the OverDose video tool, I think it'd help greatly with it. I however havent tested the resulting RoQ's and limits in regards to doom3 itself.

Shout if you need a link :)

*SHOUTS* :)