The Dark Mod Forums

Progressive, innovative and unconventional Music

STiFU

@Demagogue: I havn't encountered a single map where all of the music was effected by the "ambient" slider.

To be clear, you're talking about on 1.03 right?

Is that what you meant by trying it "in beta-testing"?

Edit: Ok, there was a little glitch messing it up, and I fixed it. Thanks for the report.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

Hey, those were really good! Thanks for sharing. I find so much metal frustrating when it can't live up to its introduction.

Here's a snapshot of some of my random favourites. Not sure whether any of it would be considered progressive.

- I think the album is supposed to be an opera based on evolution.

Yumi Nakashima - I only really like this song by her.

Idiot Flesh - Probably influenced by Frank Zappa, except that this appeals to me.

- I love this band immensely, but never got into Buckethead's other stuff.

- None of my favourites were on youtube, but this is good.

- As in: "You weren't expecting it."

Jean-Claude Risset - I honestly enjoy this.

And, I'll stop before this becomes spammerific.

To be clear, you're talking about on 1.03 right?

Is that what you meant by trying it "in beta-testing"?

Edit: Ok, there was a little glitch messing it up, and I fixed it. Thanks for the report.

woops, missed your post again sorry. Really? Fixed? Thats awesome.

woops, missed your post again sorry. Really? Fixed? Thats awesome.

Unfortunately not in time to make 1.03 though. -_-

Fixed for *me* though, mwahahahahaha... Everyone else will have to wait for 1.04. (Well, I could PM you a link to a fixed .pk4 and you just drop it into /darkmod and let it overwrite the 1.03 one if you're interested. Let me just test it a little more and I'll do that; maybe after Christmas though.)

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

• 1 month later...

I knew of NIN long before I had a PC, or PC games.

And Skinny Puppy was definitely one of the most prog industrial bands of the day. They used to make their own noise machines. I really like 'Doubting Thomas', their 'alter ego' album. The whole album is kind of a storyline using samples from alot of old horror/ufo movies.

Well, of course King Crimson are the King's of Prog rock.

And then there's Jaco Pastorius http://www.jacopastorius.com/biography.html who is probably considered to be the most progressive bass players of all time. Not only was he very talented but he tried stuff on the bass that nobody ever had before. He played with Beth Metheny, Jody Mitchell and Weather report but mostly solo.

But these days mostly jazz/hip hop/ funk/ reggae groovy stuff

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest

• 3 weeks later...

Nice, another Arcturus fan! For me, I like Ayreon. All sorts of musical styles, usually telling a story over the course of a double disc album. Good ones would be Into the Electric Castle, Universal Migrator, Human Equation. 01011001 is good too, but I feel it's not quite as good as Electric Castle. All of these are double disc albums btw, and should probably be listened in order.

It's a mix of styles, so in one song you might have Mikael Akerfeldt from Opeth roaring away, then you'll have a soft female singer in another song, then some calm guy, hell even Devin Townsend shows up for a song. Sometimes you'll have all of those types in the same song.

Thinking about it, someone in here was a Dream Theater fan.... I'm pretty sure James LaBrie is the main character in Human Equation.

In fact, since instead of posting some song links, I just asked you to listen to FOUR double disc albums, let me post some quick blurb from wikipedia, to assist the interested in finding an album they want to investigate.

The double album Into the Electric Castle followed in 1998. The album features eight singers, each playing a role of a single character, and eleven instrumentalists. Arjen has stated that he wanted this particular album to be a more flight-and-fancy-free record, or "pure escapism" than the previous albums' more serious tones, and portrayed his characters in more of a B-Movie light.

The twin Universal Migrator albums were released in 2000. The first album, The Dream Sequencer consists of soft, atmospheric progressive rock, whereas the second album, Flight of the Migrator, consists of a more heavy metal theme. Both of the albums feature around ten singers supported by many instrumentalists. One of the more notable guests was Bruce Dickinson of Iron Maiden, who made an appearance on the Flight of the Migrator album.

In 2004 came The Human Equation. As on Into the Electric Castle, there are several singers, each playing their own role. With The Human Equation, Ayreon turned away from the usual science fiction and fantasy themes with a seemingly semi-normal psychological theme.

At the end of September 2006, when Arjen's new studio was finished, he began making a new album entitled 01011001, which was released on January 25, 2008. This album was noticeably darker than previous Ayreon releases, Lucassen attributes this to a depression and his divorce in the preceding year.[5]

For those interested, Anthony Arjen Lucassen is also involved in the prog metal project Star One.

Edited by Xarg

Intel Sandy Bridge i7 2600K @ 3.4ghz stock clocks
8gb Kingston 1600mhz CL8 XMP RAM stock frequency
Sapphire Radeon HD7870 2GB FLeX GHz Edition @ stock @ 1920x1080

I keep listening to geir_tjelta_-_a_new_beginning.ahx over and over again. Although it is an 8-bit track with only 4 channels playing at any one time, it transports the listener to another place via the pitch-shifting and the melody. It makes me think of being way up in the sky. :) I knew I would really like this one after the first five seconds.

If you can't play .ahx files, check out XMplay. It is an amazing piece of software at less than 500 K with an ahx plugin available.

Edited by lost_soul

--- War does not decide who is right, war decides who is left.

• 2 weeks later...

Can't say I've ever had an ear that was keen to what is and what isn't progressive, but this band I've just recently gotten into is apparently labeled as progressive. It's black metal, so it may not fall under your purview of what is creative (and before you ask: nah, I don't have a clue what he's saying--which is how I like the lyrics of black metal, as it's unfortunately almost always some corny deep or satanic shit). So with all of my proactively defensive groundwork out of the way, here's a track from their only album:

An Autumn for Crippled Children - Tragedy Bleeds All Over the Lost

edit: forgot name of track and artist

Edited by woah

I've been getting back into the Boom Boom Satellites lately.

Back on my feet

They were right along with NIN with the industrial revolution in the early 90s, and were ahead of the curve with glitch rock.

This thread is highlighting a personal frustration of mine:

Music categorization.

Once, I was on a big kick trying to find high-pitched harmonizing glam-rock like ELO or Queen. After exhaustive research I found a list of candidates but many did not sound anything like those bands and the comparison was so tenuous that it was laughable. It took ages to distill my perfect "cheezy high-harmony 70's rock sound" track list.

I blame this phenomenon on musicians who don't admit to their actual genre affiliation and music journalists who buy their "interpretation". I wish that other genres were as organized as the electronic music scene where tiny beat variations mean you are playing a different genre. Yes it's cool when a band has genre diversity but they should cop to the fact that such-and-such song is of such-and-such genre. The Beatles wouldn't have any problem admitting that "What Goes On" is a country tune. Why should I be forced to accept some band that is clearly a Pearl Jam rip-off as "inspired by Pink Floyd" or all the other crappy meaningless genre associations that bands claim to have.

I guess I also had this frustration when recruiting singers from my old band. Our posters clearly labeled the type of music we intended to make yet we got every possible permutation of genre specific singers that it was silly.

Now, don't get me wrong, I like music diversity and occasionally genre blending. I just HATE it when someone claims to be playing a music style that they clearly aren't.

(Though I would be mildly amused by a Mariachi band that claimed to be playing System of a Down style music or a similar absurdity...)

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

I wish that other genres were as organized as the electronic music scene where tiny beat variations mean you are playing a different genre.

While that is absolutely true, the electronic artists also jump through the genres like shit though. You are left with the same problem as with every other genre: You'll have to decide the genre for yourself on a per-song basis. My favorite band "Noisia" for instance does Drum&Bass, Ragga, Dubstep, Drumstep, Breakbeat, Elektro, Techno and all sorts of subsub genres. Good thing I love all those genres! :D

I've been getting back into the Boom Boom Satellites lately.

Back on my feet

Tasty! :)

• 2 weeks later...

My newest addiction is Dub Mafia with their song "

". It's live Drum&Bass with a band consisting of 7 people. I think it's quite impressive, although the first one and a half minutes of that song are not the best example.

• 1 month later...

I stumbled over a very versatile rock song today, featuring some great synthesizers and effects. It's real catchy. Can't get it out of my head at the moment: :)

This is a band from St Albans in England by the way. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Some tracks I've been listening to over and over recently...

http://modarchive.org/index.php?request=view_by_moduleid&query=155604

I've never liked RPG games, but they have some of the best music. This track sounds like the best stuff you would hear in an RPG... especially at 3:30+.

http://modarchive.org/index.php?request=view_by_moduleid&query=151449 (I love the melody and especially drums in this track)

http://modarchive.org/index.php?request=view_by_moduleid&query=158682 (another catchy tune that I've had on repeat)

Edited by lost_soul

--- War does not decide who is right, war decides who is left.

• 1 month later...

Don't get me started on Aphex. :) From the same EP:

If you want to see really sick music clips, check out aphex twin! :D

Also, I recently discovered "Enter Shikary" for myself. Some tracks sound really mainstream, but some are really different and good as such. Check out this live performance of

for example. Hybrid of metal and Dubstep. I love it! :) The quality is not the best, but apparently the song has only been performed live like this.

• 1 month later...