The Dark Mod Forums

Progressive, innovative and unconventional Music

STiFU

I still think the SNES had some beautiful sounding hardware. Never having heard an Amiga and only having a pathetic internal computer speaker, I didn't know what things could really sound like.

is a piece of music I still really like over a decade and a half later. It was obviously heavily influenced by the other tune in the video, but I think the SNES version sounds better. Maybe it is because I heard it so many times, or maybe the instruments just sound more relaxing.

--- War does not decide who is right, war decides who is left.

my favorite AT track has always been IZ-US since 2001 or thereabouts. It's a chill and stare into space song. Strange fan video:

Yeah, that's cool. Thanks!

I am currently listening to Iron by Woodkid over and over again. That song has so much energy and was played on the new E3 Assassin's Creed Revelations cinematic-trailer and after some web-diggin' I found out, that this song was actually in the charts of the US, UK and France. This is very suprising to me, as this song doesn't sound like mainstream at all. Does the world wake up all of a sudden? Here is the song along with an Assassin's Creed tribute video that I prefer over the actual Woodkid-musicclip.

• 1 month later...

always_remember.xm

It is a very sad piece of music... especially when you read the accompanying text inside. That is one of the neat things about these music files which are made by average people. Many of them actually contain text describing what was going on or what they were thinking about when the author created it.

The saddest part is realizing that we will all eventually be in this situation. It isn't a question of "if", it is a question of "when".

EDIT:

Spent the last two hours listening to Nicollete.xm . I fell in love with this track at the part where the harmonica started playing and then the trumpets kicked in. Other parts I love are the drum sounds at 2:15 and the distant "cracking" that can be heard at some points (especially the way it pans between speakers). The transitions between sections of the song are also smooth and natural. There is a strange lyric that says "this is song two, on the album, burn the album!".

--Recommended to listen to with headphones that can deliver good bass and treble.

Edited by lost_soul

• 3 months later...

http://modarchive.org/index.php?request=view_by_moduleid&query=34718

Fantastic piece of music. Listened to it for an hour today. I really like the melody and the sound effects the author used. There is a sort of beeping in the background like a telegraph that fits perfectly with the song. It isn't too loud and adds to the experience. Another cool thing is how he cuts up the samples. Sometimes the piano notes are "choppy".

How the heck did he make that sound at the start though?

Edited by lost_soul

Wow, modarchive. I didn't realise that was still going. I remember downloading .IT songs from there back when I had a Pentium 166, and you had to restart in "Dos Mode" in order to play them back with Impulse Tracker.

I actually make music with Renoise, which takes the tracker concept and runs with it to produce a very stable, modern piece of software based on the tracker interface. People mostly share music as rendered songs though, for example on SoundCloud, rather than distributing the source "module".

Pretty nice, lost_soul!

Here is some pretty advanced hardcore punk rock. I don't normally listen to this kind of music, but I like this song quite a bit.

http://youtu.be/xPeKdL2jmPk

And here is a pretty cool sort of IDM-track by Amon Tobin. This guy sure has a knack for sick sound design. Master sound engineer. :)

http://youtu.be/ZZLoGS85wB8

This mp3 player that I modded can actually play mod/it/xm files now. This means we don't have to render them as flat audio files and we can get more music on the thing. :) I put hours of tracker music on here which I haven't even listened to yet Sometimes while I'm fixing peoples' computers, I hear stuff I really like.

... and the first five or so maps in this Doom 2 wad have excellent music as well.

Edited by lost_soul
  • Like 1

Somehow I missed this thread and only started reading it today. As a result I've spent all afternoon listening to An Autumn for Crippled Children on youtube. Great band. I wouldn't have thought black metal could sound so beautiful. It is a while since I listened to any though.

I like this song and the video:

• Like 1

"I believe that what doesn't kill you simply makes you... stranger"

The Joker

• 4 weeks later...

Heard this tune on a Covox Speech Thing yesterday and thought it was pretty cool. http://modarchive.or...eid&query=57934

For those that don't know, the CST is kind of like a sound card that plugged into your parallel port and delivered audio at up to 12 KHz. I wish I had one of those back when I had a 486 laptop with no audio capabilities.

Edited by lost_soul

I'm bored at work, so I thought I'll tell you about the artist you most likely don't know - Grzegorz Ciechowski. In 1996 he recorded, under the pseudonym Grzegorz z Ciechowa (Grzegorz from Ciechów) an album called "ojDADAna". It's a mix of traditional polish folk songs (sang by old farmers) and rock, funk and techno:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5zkWZOQHXA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mw-boSbDiKg

It's only a model...

• 4 weeks later...

I should really just change the thread-title to innovative music. After all, progressive music is basically always innovative and people can probably define and comprehend innovation a lot better than such a wishy-washy term that is progressiveness. Or maybe "interesting"?

That song's cool, Sir Taffsalot. :) Surprisingly eclectic... (I don't find it surprising in reference to you posting it, but rather the song by itself. You couldn't tell in the beginning what kind of song it will turn out in the end... :) )

• Like 1

I've picked up some nice suggestions from this thread :) I've been a fan of progressive music for some time too. You guys should consider start exploring the jazz side of music too! Especially If complexity gets you off.. lol

Just like progressive, jazz has its own definition problem. A lot of sub genres appearing and arguments about what is and what is not jazz/progressive.. waste of time, in my opinion. My contribution to this thread is Chick Corea.. I absolute love this tune:

I love the out of tune violin part at the end. It reminds me of the Radiohead guitar solos for My Iron Lung and Paranoid Android. I belive the guitarist Johnny Greenwood would give his guitar to Thom York and ask him to put his guitar into a random tuning and give it back to him unaware of what that tuning was and then improvise a guitar solo over the song.

"I believe that what doesn't kill you simply makes you... stranger"

The Joker

Yeah, I love Jazz. I actually go to an open session in a local club every monday. :) I am not too educated with respects to the different artists though. Aside from the sessions I just tune through various radio stations until I hear something I like.

Definitely deserves the classification as "progressive". At first, I wasn't too fond of the song because of the many tempochanges at the beginning, that's really a little too much. But after the first two minutes passed, it's really cool! Thanks and welcome to the forums... :)

Never realized this guy was a musiciam too...

Not only was his engine cool, but his music was very catchy as well. What is that? It isn't a midi. It sounds like a .mod, but if i recall correctly, he also created his own music format.

My newest addiction is called Electroswing, which is basically oldschool house mixed with 20s/30s swing sounds. Apparently, this genre has been around since about a decade now and I can't believe I missed it the whole time. I am absolutely loving it!! I actually listened to my first electroswing song waaaay back because the soundtrack of "The Ship"-Mod for Half-Life 1 is of that genre and I liked it. I would have never expected that there's actually a whole genre of this type. Here is a small playlist with some cool tracks by Parov Stelar, one of the pioneers of this genre.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUVyg7Xm0dQ&feature=autoplay&list=PL51306C725BEECC6E&lf=plpp_video&playnext=1

I had been into house quite a bit back in the days, but once people started calling "artists" like Boogie Pimps, Benny Bennassi and most recently David Guetta "house-artists", real house-music somehow became extinct and I stopped listening. That's the reason why I am that much more happy something like this managed to emerge!

As a small sidenote: Most of the Electroswing songs are performed live with real instruments! :)

http://modarchive.or...eid&query=60814

Sounds absolutely fantastic. I love the variations in the song (loud and soft parts). The sound effects are also very good quality, particularly the flutes, guitars, and drums. I am amazed that you can get that sound from a file just over half a meg... but I know if you used ogg compression on the sounds it could be even better (or smaller). I don't think they did anything that complex back in 2000 though, it was all PCM. Decoding 18 ogg sounds at the same time would have probably made a CPU from back then beg for mercy.

Edited by lost_soul