The Dark Mod Forums

Progressive, innovative and unconventional Music

STiFU

I'm overjoyed with the amount of dark music the community seems to appreciate, in metal particularly.

Black/death metal seems to be a no man's land in the "real world" but I'm surprised so many TDM (Thief) fans are into it haha!

"Wintry Grey" is one of my favourite songs by them. The band is what I think of every time I see your handle.

Mayhem, Emperor, prerelease from prison BURZUM, Thorns, Darkthrone, Ulver, (early)Enslaved, (early) Gorgoroth, Dodheimsgard, Odium, Strid, (early) Isvind, Thou Shalt Suffer, Zyklon, are all some fav's of mine from the Norway land. Lots more too like Black Majesty, Celestial Bloodshed, Joyless, One Tail One Head or Dodsengel but they are much more obscure than the more well known ones I listed.

My metal collection on the computer is organized by country>band>album LOL.

I don't think it's "really" black/death, maybe "electrogrey" (LOL) :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zj30YIXkmro

More power-like piece

Full album (!!!), on the official channel

->

Edited by lowenz

Task is not so much to see what no one has yet seen but to think what nobody has yet thought about that which everybody see. - E.S.

i don't really like black metal (or any metal at all, for that matter) but I love Deafheaven's newest release, Sunbather. Black metal with a hefty amount of shoegaze and post-metal in there.

i love a lot of post-rock tho

That album wasn't too bad, but through the sidebar I discovered Russian Circles, thanks!

Intel Sandy Bridge i7 2600K @ 3.4ghz stock clocks
8gb Kingston 1600mhz CL8 XMP RAM stock frequency
Sapphire Radeon HD7870 2GB FLeX GHz Edition @ stock @ 1920x1080

A psychadelic track, not usually my thing, but this one's pretty darn good (after the 2 minute mark).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XwtT4ZBa3CE

Edited by Moonbo

But you should walk having internal dignity. Be a wonderful person who can dance pleasantly to the rhythm of the universe.

-Sun Myung Moon

My work blog: gfleisher.blogspot.com

• 1 month later...

Some unconvetional alternative stuff that is rocking pretty nice. They have many songs listed on their channel, check it out folks!

http://youtu.be/JYyv7axA1Qc

These guys are from Canada.

Edited by SeriousToni

"Einen giftigen Trank aus Kräutern und Wurzeln für die närrischen Städter wollen wir brauen." - Text aus einem verlassenen Heidenlager

• 1 month later...

I normally don't like electronic music that much, but I could get used to this \oo/

(this is called deathstep, as it should have some similarities with death metal, that's what I've read on youtube, I didn't discovered them :D )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fOP7hy7jGY

And a very cool dubstep song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icZhcQ-bd_M

The only thing that bothers me especially with dubstep is the beat. In most cases it is just a monotonuous boom-boom boom-boom. (Like someone walking with two different shoes one, maybe that's what the name comes from, I don't know). However, as someone who mainly hears black and death metal I somehow expect more or less complex melodies to be accompanied by complex beats. The beats in deathstep songs (or drops, how they are seemed to be called, what does that even mean) are a bit better regarding that aspect.

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

First song you posted is just heavy DnB, Obs.

's a playlist of a couple similar songs.

The rest is just hard dubstep. Not sure why anyone would call it deathstep.

"A drop" is the moment where the song kicks in full force. Usually the first 55 seconds of a song or so are lighter, and then at 0:55 the heavy bass kicks in along with the beat and stuff.

You can call me Phi, Numbers, Digits, Ratio, 16, 1618, or whatever really, as long as it's not Phil.

Thank you for the "drop explanation. I must say that this name is a bit counterintuitive. If you drop something it falls down, or in other words it's going down, which is something negative. In this music if the drop comes I normally start smiling if I like the song), which is positive. However.

Metal seems to have a history with games, Doom is a classic example, with a great many of it's tracks either being inspired by or almost clones of old songs by Slayer, Metallica etc.

Intel Sandy Bridge i7 2600K @ 3.4ghz stock clocks
8gb Kingston 1600mhz CL8 XMP RAM stock frequency
Sapphire Radeon HD7870 2GB FLeX GHz Edition @ stock @ 1920x1080

Not unconventional, but nice

Thank you for the "drop explanation. I must say that this name is a bit counterintuitive. If you drop something it falls down, or in other words it's going down, which is something negative. In this music if the drop comes I normally start smiling if I like the song), which is positive. However.

->

Edited by lowenz
  • Like 1

Task is not so much to see what no one has yet seen but to think what nobody has yet thought about that which everybody see. - E.S.

Having read through this entire thread, I can safely say I don't know what I'm supposed to post. So here's Batman picking up women:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RuzsZ8GyM38

And if we need some actual music, here's The Mad Violinist:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hsUgd7m3QPk

He rolls with a hip hop/classical fusion group, and he's the "lead" performer for most of their stuff. It's badass.

"Fancy burricks are afraid of dogs, if they encounter each other the dog barks and the burricks poop." - Thief: Deadly Shadows Game Designer