The Dark Mod Forums

Progressive, innovative and unconventional Music

STiFU

Maybe not groundbreaking but classical music in games was always neglected as "just another soundtrack". The Dark Mod's ambient is amazing but classical is so good. Odd that a game inspired by 19'th century aesthetics does not incorporate the music used at the time. It  just helps immortalize the game across the ages overall :

The only thing that comes to mind is the warming up sound in a Thief Gold FM which was skillfully done, but it's not a proper musical piece:

"I really perceive that vanity about which most men merely prate — the vanity of the human or temporal life. I live continually in a reverie of the future. I have no faith in human perfectibility. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active — not more happy — nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. The result will never vary — and to suppose that it will, is to suppose that the foregone man has lived in vain — that the foregone time is but the rudiment of the future — that the myriads who have perished have not been upon equal footing with ourselves — nor are we with our posterity. I cannot agree to lose sight of man the individual, in man the mass."...

- 2 July 1844 letter to James Russell Lowell from Edgar Allan Poe.

badge?user=andarson

I'm a big fan of the modern classical music used in film or game soundtracks; in fact some would say that people like Hans Zimmer and John Williams are keeping classical music alive, when the art music world has disappeared up its own pretentious ass into atonalism and unlistenable post-modern bollocks.

I think the reason we don't see a lot of it in the modding world is because it's actually very difficult to produce on a small scale: you either need the enormous amount of time and money required to score and record a piece for full orchestra, or try to simulate it as best you can with really good (and therefore expensive) sample sets and plugins. I like to incorporate classical themes and textures into my electronic music, but actually trying to make the Gladiator soundtrack on a home PC would be impossible.

• 2 weeks later...

Never liked RPG games at all. But they have some of the best music.

This one sounds good enough to pass as N64 music, even though it is just a SNES, which has a tiny fraction of the memory. The way the flute is panned in from the left to the right and the careful use of reverberation makes it sound much more complex than it actually is.

Edited by kano

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

"I really perceive that vanity about which most men merely prate — the vanity of the human or temporal life. I live continually in a reverie of the future. I have no faith in human perfectibility. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active — not more happy — nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. The result will never vary — and to suppose that it will, is to suppose that the foregone man has lived in vain — that the foregone time is but the rudiment of the future — that the myriads who have perished have not been upon equal footing with ourselves — nor are we with our posterity. I cannot agree to lose sight of man the individual, in man the mass."...

badge?user=andarson

• 4 weeks later...

CookieSpy is back!

badge?user=andarson

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/16/2019 at 10:08 AM, JackFarmer said:

One of the worst BSG episodes but with one of the top titles from Bear McCreary. Reminds me of Led Zep (Kashmir) and King Crimson (Vroom!).

One of...? Definitely the worst episode. :)

System: Mageia Linux Cauldron, aka Mageia 8

• 5 weeks later...
On 6/10/2020 at 8:34 AM, PranQster said:

One of...? Definitely the worst episode. :)

Hm...maybe @Amadeus can clarify that. He is an expert on the series.

I for one think that "The Plan" was much worse.

On the other hand, "The Plan" was not part of the orignal show.

Thus, maybe you are right. :)

Edited by JackFarmer
  • Like 1

Ha, Black Market is definitely THE worst episode of the series. So many things didn't make sense, characters made choices they never would have, and the stakes were just.... ridiculous. But given that it's a great show with four solid seasons (and what I think is a solid finale) its allowed one absolute trash episode

Edited by Amadeus
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, JackFarmer said:

However, I really like Bill Duke.

Agreed, great actor, sucks that the writers of that episode couldn't have done him justice

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Achievement: Return some video tapes.

Edited by Anderson

badge?user=andarson

• 1 month later...