The Dark Mod Forums

Progressive, innovative and unconventional Music

STiFU

Ambient, distorted, reverberated music illustrating a person falling into dementia, various forms of Alzheimer's syndrome.

https://thecaretaker.bandcamp.com/album/everywhere-at-the-end-of-time

"I really perceive that vanity about which most men merely prate — the vanity of the human or temporal life. I live continually in a reverie of the future. I have no faith in human perfectibility. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active — not more happy — nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. The result will never vary — and to suppose that it will, is to suppose that the foregone man has lived in vain — that the foregone time is but the rudiment of the future — that the myriads who have perished have not been upon equal footing with ourselves — nor are we with our posterity. I cannot agree to lose sight of man the individual, in man the mass."...

- 2 July 1844 letter to James Russell Lowell from Edgar Allan Poe.

badge?user=andarson

• 3 weeks later...

Bardcore medieval remakes are quite a thing lately. We need at least a few for some Thief and The Dark Mod tracks

"I really perceive that vanity about which most men merely prate — the vanity of the human or temporal life. I live continually in a reverie of the future. I have no faith in human perfectibility. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active — not more happy — nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. The result will never vary — and to suppose that it will, is to suppose that the foregone man has lived in vain — that the foregone time is but the rudiment of the future — that the myriads who have perished have not been upon equal footing with ourselves — nor are we with our posterity. I cannot agree to lose sight of man the individual, in man the mass."...

badge?user=andarson

• Like 1

Sys Specs Laptop Lenovo V145 15AST, AMD A9- 9425 Radeon R5 - 5 cores 3,1 GHz  RAM 8Gb, GPU 1+2 Gb -Win10 64 v21H2

Favorite online apps you may like too 😉

• 3 weeks later...

Russian lyrics, shamanic spells. This group made music for the Pathologic 2 OST.

Edited by Anderson
  • Like 1

badge?user=andarson

In this line of shamanic / neofolk music I can think of mainly 2 groups
Wardruna and Heilung

Both I can imagine very well as a soundtrack in some TDM missions with undead and ghosts

• Like 2

Sys Specs Laptop Lenovo V145 15AST, AMD A9- 9425 Radeon R5 - 5 cores 3,1 GHz  RAM 8Gb, GPU 1+2 Gb -Win10 64 v21H2

The entire soundtrack of the Europa Barbarorum mod for Rome Total War is filled with great folk, pagan music for barbarians too. The rest is just nice ancient pieces.

On this note, does anyone know the name of the famous Hungarian folk, medieval-like music group that made music similar to the Polish Belatine band? This Hungarian group had a lead female singer with a strong voice. I once had their videos in favorites but they disappeared and I can't find it anymore. They mostly played violins and and an instrument similar to the cello a lot.

badge?user=andarson

• 2 months later...

E3M5... seriously a great piece of music. Melodic, catchy as hell, can listen to it over and over again and not get tired of it. E1M8 is also quite nice, though a completely different style than E3M5. In general though, Phase 2 of this project has better music.

• 4 months later...
On 11/6/2020 at 5:02 PM, Anderson said:

Ambient, distorted, reverberated music illustrating a person falling into dementia, various forms of Alzheimer's syndrome.

https://thecaretaker.bandcamp.com/album/everywhere-at-the-end-of-time

Ran into this a while back. I like it as a concept, but the album is barely listenable. I did try, though, practically all I do is collect weird shit from the dark corners of Bandcamp. Here is a sampling.

https://djkhalab.bandcamp.com/album/mberra - "M’berra is the sound, the story, of a collective of Malian musicians from the M’berra Refugee Camp in southeast Mauritania and Italian producer and electro-shaman Khalab."

https://wvsorcerer.bandcamp.com/album/music-from-taiwan-mystery - "We make blurry and raw music. Imagine that if ancient people could play guitar and bass, what would their music be like?"

https://meitei.bandcamp.com/album/kwaidan - "Kwaidan is a style of Japanese ghost stories. Meitei took it as a challenge of his skill as a musician to transpose the folklore into intricate compositions, capturing this lost 'Japanese mood'. "

https://kishibashi.bandcamp.com/album/151a - This is much more accessible, but hey, it's summer. Orchestral pop at its finest.

https://burningwitchesrecords.bandcamp.com/album/alone-in-the-woods - Occult electronica.

https://vill4in.bandcamp.com/album/void-003-sangam - Dreampunk by the legend Sangam.

https://kayodot.bandcamp.com/album/blasphemy - Avantgarde metal? I can't believe I enjoyed this album, all of their other ones are awful.

https://lighghtmusic.bandcamp.com/album/gore-tex-in-the-club-balenciaga-amongst-the-shrubs- I don't know what this is. "Psychedelic broken techno trance". It's weird, but bought the cassette.

Considering how much new stuff I buy constantly, it's particularly funny to read comments that agonize about the state of modern music.

Edited by roygato
  • Like 1

In every era there was bad music and good music, real artists and those who only believed themselves to be artists. It is fallacious to affirm that music before was better, it was not, but the bad pieces and the 'Summer Hits' were forgotten and only the good works remain in the memory.
Today there are a lot of great artists with sublime pieces, what happens is that due to the activities of record companies that only want to make money fast, they do not reach the mass media, believing the false impression that there is no longer the good music.

There is, include with an instrument, invented 1000 years ago.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Zerg Rush said:

In every era there was bad music and good music, real artists and those who only believed themselves to be artists. It is fallacious to affirm that music before was better, it was not, but the bad pieces and the 'Summer Hits' were forgotten and only the good works remain in the memory.
Today there are a lot of great artists with sublime pieces, what happens is that due to the activities of record companies that only want to make money fast, they do not reach the mass media, believing the false impression that there is no longer the good music.

Indeed. I firmly believe that the only thing separating anyone from "good modern music" is effort. It's easier than ever for practically anyone to release music of any variety, you just have to find the good stuff somehow.

5 minutes ago, Zerg Rush said:

This was pretty cool. It looks like they have the full album on bandcamp (https://guilhemdesq.bandcamp.com/releases), and there is a vinyl/CD available, so I'll have to give it a spin. :awesome:

The hurdy gurdy is really quite a cool instrument and it is catching on back in fashion. If you search for hurdy gurdy on YT, you will find a lot of artists who use it, many with medieval music, of course, from the time when this instrument was first used, but also many with current music, like Guillem Desq does, with compositions like those in the videos and even with covers by other groups, for example by Pantera.

• 4 weeks later...

There were some similar ones at the time, what sounded on the radio was not so much my genre that I was interested in at the time in the mid / late 60s. In the late 60s I listened someting like f.E. these guys

In these years he was a regular visitor to a record store where he could listen to new records
 Obtaining a respectable collection over the years, among them quite a few rare pieces from unknown groups. But some years ago this collection was lost in a move, which made me invent many new words that do not appear in any dictionary.

Edited by Zerg Rush