The Dark Mod Forums

Asexuality (a series of YouTube videos)

Tiranasta

Simply put, asexuality is a sexual orientation characterized by a complete lack of sexual attraction. I could say more, but I feel that this series of videos does a much better job than I could.

I would also like to mention the following petition to add asexuality and pansexuality as options on social networking sites. Any signatures would be appreciated.

http://www.petitiononline.com/asm55579/petition.html

Okay.

Or you could disregard what social networking sites give a shit about. These fucking labels are what the trouble is anyway, so why more? Pansexuality? Bisexuality not enough? Trying to sneak in bestiality? Or Pedophilia? Necrophilia? Pterophilia?

I don't give a damn about social networking sites, but it is a point of fact that they are very widely used, so the success of this would be great for asexuality (and pansexuality) visibility.

And the purpose of pansexuality is to recognise that the gender binary has never been sufficient to describe all people.

As for your description of these words as 'labels', I think that it is important that we recognise that these are words designed to carry with them meaning for the benefit of people. You know, like any other words. They serve a useful purpose.

Edited by Tiranasta

Okey-dokey...

...But I'm telling you right now pansexuality is not enough for me I am so special -- sexually! -- I've transcended such simplistic, conventional, notions. Can you get them to to add Aprilsisterscissorsexual to the list? I mean I'll sign anyway because I have seen the power of identity politics and the power of 'net petitions and the power of pussy (oops sorry got distracted) so if you'll do your best to get my special sexual circumstance on the list to help me raise... awareness is it? ...I'll be right there.

Zombies appear to be asexual. No sexual attraction there whatsoever. Mayhaps they would sign the petition. Wait -- can they write?

Indeed, according to most recent studies by the Entropic Brotherhood, it was shown that any kinds of attempts to seduce a zombie were utterly useless. Since zombies are animated dead corpses, they are mindless and thus they are unable to feel or learn anything. Therefore they are incapable of writing, or even thinking.

However, controversy has been surfaced whether or not zombies should be legally protected from necrophilia or not. After thorough considerations (and attempts) the Brotherhood has concluded that such things should not be worried about, since any attempts in such an activity has resulted in the zombie ripping the attemptee to pieces. Zombies can certainly fend for themselves and thus do not need any kind of legal protection.

Since then, the Brotherhood has aimed it's occult studies on the sexuality of the more intelligent undead, revenants, vampires and liches. Due to lack of scholars, the Brotherhood accepts new candidates for this research area, please ask for details in your nearest Entropic Brotherhood Recruiting Center.

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

I'm sorry to hear that you are troubled by the lack of sexual orientation choices in your preferred social mediums. Not to sound too much like a Social Darwinist but those site operate by the grinding wheels of mass-market capitalism. If you are not a large "target market" they don't care. Your efforts would be better served by building a social network designed from the ground up for your orientation.

I personally don't think that folks should randomly search social networks to get in contact with others for sexual purposes. If you are using a "friend of a friend" method to find hook-ups then you should do more research before bothering this person. If you are Asexual, I can't really see the logistical distinction between someone who doesn't want to be "hit on" verses someone who doesn't want to be "addressed as a heterosexual". Are you offended by jokes or images that presume the audience is heterosexual and would enjoy them? What extra convenience would having a distinct "Asexual" category have over some general statement on your profile that says "Don't hit on me! Not interested!" which even many hetero or homosexuals would utilize?

Finally (after reviewing some of the material in those videos), I am having trouble empathizing with the "plight" of Asexual people. Many folks have gotten themselves into a great deal of trouble by succumbing to their sexuality; to be free from those compulsions takes you out of many risk pools. Further, you a less one appetite that must be fed... you only have to worry about breathing, eating, (gambling, smoking, alcohol, etc). You do not need to tell anyone about your sexual preference and if your friends bother you about it then set them straight. It just doesn't seem like that bad of problem to have and in-fact is strongly presented in the videos as "NOT A PROBLEM". As long as you make sure to maintain contact with Intelligent and Mature people then you should not run into fools who want to discuss your sexuality ad nauseum or try to convert you.

The only question I would ever ask an Asexual if granted the liberty is "Have you ever forcibly tried to follow the route mechanics of sexual stimulation to attempt to automatically invoke an orgasm? If not, would you be willing to do so for the sake of scientific study?" It would be interesting to know whether proclaimed "Asexuals" can enjoy an orgasm or if there are Asexual folks that can enjoy them but choose not to?

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

Interesting and very unexpected post. I do believe such a thing can exist; if there are nymphos, then why not the opposite? It's certainly fathomable that some simply have no interest, though I admit it is a challenge to comprehend (without assuming something's "wrong"/a disorder is present (which is of course a label)/etc).

A few hopefully obvious observations:

Not that there's anything wrong with how she chooses to appear -- she's free to do whatever -- but she appears to be quite into her appearance (low cut cleavage- and shoulder-exposing top, far-past-the-bellcurve long beautiful hair (not including the silly bangs)). That seems to go against her stance, doesn't it, just a bit? I don't mean that she keeps herself looking "nice." I mean it goes beyond that, in my opinion. To my eyes, the intent is to allure. Is that simply following fashion, or trying to be sexually attractive? To who? Why?

Which by the way, she succeeds at in my opinion. Perhaps that propels her into the perfect "shining spokesperson" type of position for her cause, but to sound like a male for a moment: what a shame.

I wonder if she "takes care of business" herself (I might have missed that in the vid), or if there's no interest in that either.

Then there's the chance that it's a ruse (in her case), to get attention, perhaps even for the sake of having hordes of men line up to "convert her."

Edit: After watching a couple more of her vids, I think she is a bit off. Not quite as overtly attractive as she appeared in the first vid (perhaps playing it down after realizing as much?), but trying to be cutesy (pigtails? Really?). She's actually quite irritating. And yes, a bit off. I do believe there must be people with reduced or no desires, and that she might even be one of them. But I believe this (and her long-winded site, and her posting of the "conversation index") is a pretty obvious reach for attention. "Here's my belly and my breasts and my pretty long hair. Watch as I strike different poses. Here are a bunch of letters from the men who want me. But I'm not a tease! Listen to what I have to say about my preferences."

There is no lifestyle choice, dietary preference, sexual identity or supposedly-oppressed minority so obscure that someone, somewhere, isn't whining about it on the internet.

I don't like avocados. Perhaps I should start a blog about it.

• 3 weeks later...

Sneaksie, even though I didn't go into such a depth about this video, I basically thought along the same lines. :)

I must confess that I only watched the first few minutes of the first video though, because it got boring. I hate videos where they take ages to tell you what they are going to tell you in the video and not getting to any point whatsoever.

Gerhard