The Dark Mod Forums

Bugs circa 1.03

jaxa

I got two possible bugs playing NHAT 1/3 on 1.03.

The first is an unfrobbable body. I dragged him into that position. I have not reloaded to check if that fixes yet. The second is interpretive. When AI are in alert mode they often open surrounding doors to look for you. They also like to repeatedly open doors that you close. Well I crawled over the chest, closing it before I did so, and the guard repeatedly opens that chest each time I close it, which doesn't exactly help him get to where I am, although I'd hope he'd get suspicious reopening the chest so many times, heh. Both screenshots brightened.

I got another crash on quicksave during NHAT, just before seeing the first zombie, couldn't reproduce.

post-3727-129305523819_thumb.png

post-3727-129305524508_thumb.png

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The first is an unfrobbable body. I dragged him into that position. I have not reloaded to check if that fixes yet.

Looks like he got dragged into the chests frob blocker, it's volume which prevents you from frobbing the content through the model or accidently highlighting them. Sometimes if it leaks a bit outside of the model it could catch something else... I'm guessing here but it seems quite possible. You'll most likely notice that if the lid is open he'll be frobbable :)

The second is interpretive. When AI are in alert mode they often open surrounding doors to look for you. They also like to repeatedly open doors that you close. Well I crawled over the chest, closing it before I did so, and the guard repeatedly opens that chest each time I close it, which doesn't exactly help him get to where I am, although I'd hope he'd get suspicious reopening the chest so many times, heh.

All of that stuff is more or less how it's always been, but I think we'd all like to see them a bit brighter than spamming the doors/chests/switches like that, but nothing of immediate concern that's changed in 1.03

I got another crash on quicksave during NHAT, just before seeing the first zombie, couldn't reproduce.

We've had a few reports of this, but it always seems to happen on NHAT which makes me ponder if it's not something that's more map specific...

Thanks for the report :)

The Ambient Sliders are still buggy, or even more:

In Biker´s Cathedral-mission the ambient-tracks play at lowest volume and don´t react on the sliders. I tested Bikers Cadecues-mission and there the music was fine and I also loaded up NHAT1/3 and there the music was fine too, I tested several locations from which I knew they had different tracks, but the sliders are not responding. Ok, for an instant the volume is like the sliders indicated, but in the next moment it´s back at max volume.

Again for Biker´s Cathedral-mission, I loaded a savegame, the music is restarted yes, but still at volume 0, here comes a condump:

Restarting ambient sound snd_house5 with volume 0
]tdm_music_volume
"tdm_music_volume" is:"0" default:"1.0"
Volume in dB for speakers with s_music set. Goes from -40 to 0.
]tdm_music_volume 1
tdm_music_volume changed from 1 to 1.025000 for current ambient volume 0

So, the current ambient volume is set to 0, can I change that? And what´s 'tdm_music_volume' for? As you see it was set to 0, and you can see what happened after I set it to 1. :unsure:

Update: The problems are only there with custom ambients. The sliders are working with the track from the training mission f.e.

Edited by LEGION

-> Crisis of Capitalism

-> 9/11 Truth

->

(hard stuff), more

I did see an unfrobbable, unconscious guard the other day on NHAT 2. It was in one of the buildings near a desk drawer. Unfortunately for that guard, I had to whack him with my blackjack to get his (now corpse) out of the way so I could get what was in the desk. I didn't really think of it as a game bug, just an isolated incident.

--- War does not decide who is right, war decides who is left.

The komag mirror seems to have a partial file:

Picking mirror KeepOfMetalAndGold
Downloading to temporary file D:/Games/Doom 3/darkmod/__tdm_update_1.02_to_1.03.zip
Initiating Download from http://www.keepofmetalandgold.com/files/tdm/tdm_update_1.02_to_1.03.zip
Download failed: Transferred a partial file
Connection Error.
Removed file D:\Games\Doom 3\darkmod\__tdm_update_1.02_to_1.03.zip

It was quite far along its 214.7 Mb download, but then failed and now uses another mirror. :huh:

We had this during internal testing as well - it was always that ZIP file on that mirror and it was almost always failing after more than a hundred MB. I think I'll be removing that file from this mirror to save people's bandwidth.

The Ambient Sliders are still buggy, or even more:...

Yes, this is my fault.

The short answer is I caught it and fixed it just as 1.03 was getting released, but it wasn't really in time to make the release, so the fix is up on the SVN trunk now but has to wait for the next public release. Sorry.

The longer answer if you're curious: Zero is the right default volume; it means "full volume" (they go negative from there, so -60 is silence; actually this applies to *all* speakers, not just this. Mappers need to know this.). In the past I changed it to be 0..1 because I thought it was stupid that "0" should be the max volume, but that ended up being worse because it's a decibel function so a linear scale is terrible, so I changed it back to -60..0. But then I stupidly missed a part where the multiplication gets screwed up (half of 0 is still 0), and that's what screwed up the slider for 1.03. I had to do a work around so e.g., ".5 x 0 = -30", the proper half volume.* Works now.

* Actually, the real proper half-volume would be closer to -15 because it's on a decibel (log) scale, not linear (so it looks more like "r" than "/" on a graph). That means half-volume is 3/4 up the slider and it shoots to zero pretty fast. But a linear-to-log conversion is complicated (beyond me, anyways), so it's an okay compromise as long as it works. But me or Tels will hopefully fix that eventually too.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

We had this during internal testing as well - it was always that ZIP file on that mirror and it was almost always failing after more than a hundred MB. I think I'll be removing that file from this mirror to save people's bandwidth.

It's most likely that it's a default httpd config, I think either apache or lighttpd has a default of slightly more than 100mb before it terminates a connection. (Yay for nginx)

The short answer is I caught it and fixed it just as 1.03 was getting released, but it wasn't really in time to make the release, so the fix is up on the SVN trunk now but has to wait for the next public release. Sorry.

demagogue, could you please add an entry on the tracker about this, I think this issue is not yet documented for TDM 1.03, is it? This way we get a nice changelog for TDM 1.04.

Yes, this is my fault.

The longer answer if you're curious: Zero is the right default volume; it means "full volume" (they go negative from there, so -60 is silence; actually this applies to *all* speakers, not just this. Mappers need to know this.). In the past I changed it to be 0..1 because I thought it was stupid that "0" should be the max volume, but that ended up being worse because it's a decibel function so a linear scale is terrible, so I changed it back to -60..0. But then I stupidly missed a part where the multiplication gets screwed up (half of 0 is still 0), and that's what screwed up the slider for 1.03. I had to do a work around so e.g., ".5 x 0 = -30", the proper half volume.* Works now.

* Actually, the real proper half-volume would be closer to -15 because it's on a decibel (log) scale, not linear. That means half-volume is 3/4 up the slider and it shoots to zero pretty fast. But a linear-to-log conversion is complicated (beyond me, anyways), so it's an okay compromise.

Ok, I can live with that, but what is with Biker´s Cathedral-mission? The first ambient 'info-city' is set to '-60'. I changed that to '-8', but still, the track is played at lowest volume, barely hearable. It worked before in 1.02. NHAT1/3 uses custom ambients too but there is everything allright, a volume with '-8.....' is used there iirc.

Is there sth I can do? I really would like to play this mission finally, but not without Music, I´m too much an Ambiance Addict...

-> Crisis of Capitalism

-> 9/11 Truth

->

(hard stuff), more

This is a huge update. :)

Thank you for the dedication which result in all these new features and bugfixes. It's a huge step forward and an enormous work TDM folk !!

Some findings and questions after updating:

I started with 'Too late' and 'Knighton Manor' for checking all the new goodies which Santa TDM brought us Taffers. I've both re-downloaded them from the new game menu to have the latest versions.

1) IIRC there had been a SFX along with mantling in 1.02? Anyone else not getting that sound or is my memory wrong?

2) In 'Too late' jumping doesn't make any sound any longer. I do not have that issue in 'Knighton Manor'. So this may FM specific.

3) I can confirm the ambient sound bug. Whenever I save the game the ambient sound increase in loudness level and thereafter is not changeable regardless of any action to the slider.

4) I do experience a strange effect like sitting in a "fishglass". That means the textures are only proportional as expected in the middle but look slightly streched and disproportional to the sides of the screen. Anyone else having that effect? That effect is regadless of chosen resolution or any advanced grafic setting.

5) Swimming in water in 'Too Late' with HDR enabled (Bloom off) will drop FPS from a good 50 down to 8-10 regardless of the setup of any of the other advanced grafic options. Please can anyone tell me if that is unusal or the expected performance drop for diving under water?

... don't know if these things are specific to 1.03, the tested FM's or my system.

After seeing these issues I deleted my old installation and did setup a new vanilla one to really ensure having only the latest files. Having same effects.

My Specs: Win XP SP3, AMD X2 4200+, 2 GB RAM, Geforce 8800 GT driver version 178.28, usually playing 1920x1200

Thanks for your help.

Edited by fllood

"To rush is without doubt the most important enemy of joy" ~ Thieves Saying

5) Swimming in water in 'Too Late' with HDR enabled (Bloom off) will drop FPS from a good 50 down to 8-10 regardless of any of the other advanced grafic settings. Please can you tell me if that is unusal or the expected performance drop for diving under water?

Try setting "g_doubleVision 0" in the console as a workaround.

err..

my tdmlauncher.exe doesn´t even start after update, all i get is title TDM screen and

Something similar has already been reported. Do you maybe have the COMODO Firewall installed? If so, try disabling it. Something prevents tdmlauncher from copying the gamex86.dll.

EDIT: Too slow! :)

Does this disable the water post-process effect? Can this be applied universally without any artifact?

(I think my autoexec.cfg is about to be updated :D ...)

Cool tip Rebb!

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

Does this disable the water post-process effect? Can this be applied universally without any artifact?

It does disable doublevision effects, which are currently also used for the underwater blurriness.

The underwater murk will still show up tho.

It's just a temporary workaround that has shown good results for some people *eyes STiFU*.

Yeah, thanks again, Rebb! :) JC said he might possibly have a solution to the low-fps-underwater problem. Let's hope for the best. If it doesn't work out, we could also experiment with different effects to get that underwater vision.

Setting that value increases the FPS from <10 to >30 and underwater looks fine enough without doublevision effects to me :)

Thank you rebb!

"To rush is without doubt the most important enemy of joy" ~ Thieves Saying

Ok, I can live with that, but what is with Biker´s Cathedral-mission? The first ambient 'info-city' is set to '-60'. I changed that to '-8', but still, the track is played at lowest volume, barely hearable.

Do you mean -60 is what was set in the info_location's "volume" spawnarg and you changed it to -8 in DR (also try "0")? (And you have the slider up to full; it's active when the default isn't 0.) A mapper set spawnarg will always override the default. Note the console debug text doesn't give the final volume; it's always the first number * the second number (another thing that needed changing.)

I'll have to look at that FM to see what's going on, I guess.

demagogue, could you please add an entry on the tracker about this, I think this issue is not yet documented for TDM 1.03, is it? This way we get a nice changelog for TDM 1.04.

Sure. Remind me where that is again.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

Trickster

See the

"Game broken after 1.03 update"

thread... something to do with COMODO perhaps.

True, COMODO here. However, after disabling it, nothing changed. I´m suspicious i need to update again, but updater says "your TDM is up to date." How to rollback update changes ?

EDIT: solved. gamex86.dll file in \d3\flakebridge (current FM) seemed to be write protected (somehow), i renamed it and manually copied gamex86.dll from \d3\darkmod folder.

Now game works as far as i tried (starting mission OK)

Thanks to everyone involved. Happy Xmas !

Edited by Trickster