The Dark Mod Forums

Bugs circa 1.03

jaxa

Do you mean -60 is what was set in the info_location's "volume" spawnarg and you changed it to -8 in DR (also try "0")? (And you have the slider up to full; it's active when the default isn't 0.) A mapper set spawnarg will always override the default. Note the console debug text doesn't give the final volume; it's always the first number * the second number (another thing that needed changing.)

I'll have to look at that FM to see what's going on, I guess.

Yes, in DR I changed that, I tried with the first two tracks and the one from the citywatch. I also tried 0 but nothing changes. (Every time I adjust the slider which is full from the start) I also made RunAAS just in case, no luck. I don´t know what it is and give it up for now.

What missions are there else with lots of several custom ambients besides NHAT?

Can also someone please confirm the barely hearable music in Cathedral of St.Alban?

BTW: the new visuals are stunning and I can feel no performance impact at all!! :wub:

-> Crisis of Capitalism

-> 9/11 Truth

->

(hard stuff), more

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Got another hanging save with the "alchemist". Seems like it should be normal gameplay, upper mansion, just had stolen the rod in the upper mansion where we are supposed to steal some gems.

This hang doesn't start the game though. The loading screen just stays after the loading bar fills up and disappears.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=EDLP2NDR

Edited by i30817

@Grayman or anyone other interested in AI issues:

I've understood that savegames with odd AI behavior can help squashing AI bugs?

Here is a savegame from lockdown:

http://www.mediafire...5i2aiolbyb6gisa

Description of the situation:

I was exploring this area when a guard spotted me. There was a major alarm and nearly all guards in this area were after me. I escaped and went to investigate another, separate section of the map. I was hoping the AIs would not be looking for me anymore once I came back.

When I came back the AI's were in the state seen in the savegame. They're just standing there in search pose and shouting search barks but they do not move at all and never get out of this state.

In this save I've gone through the whole mission and the AI have still not recovered so I think this is permanent state. I even tried to shoot a noisemaker at them but they do not care. If they bump into the player, the start chasing normally.

Just thought someone might be interested in this... When you load up the save, the stuck guards are just right behind the corner. There are quite many guards stuck in similar way so this might be quite significant fault in AI code. It can't possibly be simple monsterclipping issue since it affects so many.

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

@LEGION, did you uninstall and reinstall the mission between each change (or are you running it through the console)? The behavior of an unchanging barely audible sound in my experience usually happens when the volume is internally too high and gets clipped (i.e., it's a high positive value), which is what could happen in 1.02 and before. Since the default volume is "0" in 1.03 and you're changing the spawnarg values in DR, which were apparently on silence to begin with, I can't see where that's coming from. Unfortunately the console info isn't very helpful since it's not giving you the final volume.

Anyway, since you seem pretty industrious in testing this stuff, if you like it would be a great help to me to have the fix for 1.04 tested. If you're up to it, here is an updated pk4, which you drop into your Darkmod folder replacing the existing version (you can make a backup of the 1.03 version if you like). Try it with this, then report what happens (the console info is also a little more helpful here too).

http://www.4shared.com/file/wV-Y_Pbz/tdm_base01.html

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

There are some wood piles surfaces on a shack in knighton manor that appear black unless the light is really really close. Normal map or just low enough light? Note that the upper pile is not solid black.

Most likely they dont have the new ambient stage in the material definition (as custom materials supplied in a mission which hasnt been updated would). I'll have a look in the morning tho :)

In future, if you could use r_showSurfaceInfo 1, and grab the material name... that'd be pretty damn awesome! And thanks for all these reports, really helpful :)

There are some wood piles surfaces on a shack in knighton manor that appear black unless the light is really really close. Normal map or just low enough light? Note that the upper pile is not solid black.

Which ambient option do you have selected in the video settings? If it's simple or enhanced and the problem goes away with 'normal' then this is just a missing piece of code in the material file for that texture and it will have to be fixed in the next release. Could be a texture that was custom for that mission.

I played that more than once while testing 1.03 and didn't have that problem using the enhanced ambient.

It also sets a space after ;Oh, and demagogue, I´ve send you a PM.

edit: Hm? Apparently not, even not as I changed it to '.'? Wait. Test: .lwo flat.lwo He? I can´t reproduce that Forum-bug. Is there already an Bugtracker-entry?

Edited by LEGION

-> Crisis of Capitalism

-> 9/11 Truth

->

(hard stuff), more

"models/darkmod/furniture/seating/bech_set01_flat.lwo"

"models/darkmod/furniture/seating/bech_set01_flat.lwo"

Copy the whole line without the space.

Any way, a question about a bug. Is there any hope of finding the save corruption bugs related to alerted AI (like in the alchemist save above)? I've read here that it was because the quicksave is actually different from the normal save in that it could (i presume) save corrupt in-progress state that can't be loaded. Wouldn't it be enough to find those parts of the code and disallow saving until a "safe point"? Quick save only at the end of a frame (if your AI code is organized like that) or something?

Edited by i30817

You could also try the '3-saves'-method that came up in this thread. I know, it´s not facing the real problem but since I use it I didn´t had any issues with savegames anymore. In my opinion everyone should use it. It does create three savegames in a row. Hmm, I´ll make it easy for you and load it up, wait a sec:

saveload.cfg.txt delete '.txt' and put it into DarkMod-folder and add the line exec saveload.cfg into the file named(if you haven´t already you need to create it) autoexec.cfg (both files can be opened and edited with Text-editors) that needs to be created in the DarkMod-folder too.

It binds the key F4 to QuickSave and F9 to QuickLoad. Can be re-assigned via editing saveload.cfg, but NOT in the MainMenu.

Note that after GameRestart the QuickSave-order will begin with QuickSave1 again, no matter what the last save was named. If it matters to you then make sure that the last QuickSave you do is named 'QuickSave3' before you quit the game.

In the thread I linked to is also a method described to cycle through existing QuickSave with the QuickLoad-key (repeated press) and of course you can expand the script to create even more QuickSaves with the QuickSave-key...

Note: Damn, already 5 in the morning, I wanted to play Glenham Tower, well, it´s still dark...

-> Crisis of Capitalism

-> 9/11 Truth

->

(hard stuff), more

At the most extreme, i would prefer quicksave was disabled if it can't be reliable.

Saves and quicksaves seem to be the same thing. While we've had trouble with save related crashes and such in the past, greebo, greyman and the usual suspects have been able to sort them out rather quickly as the result of good reporting and sample saves. Back to the actual statement, it's the same work required to mark something as 'unsafe' as to fix it so that it will save correctly, since there's no automatic method for finding them until something goes wrong.

The save while AI are alerted problem seems to be known for a long time, and yet is not on the release 1.04 roadmap. It's true that the lockpicking problem was found very fast, but this one seems much harder? Did you try more comprehensive logs? Are you using threads or something like that that could make the state interleaved and inconsistent even if the code appears fine?

Also, damn, i thought that normal save would "save" me.

Edited by i30817

The save while AI are alerted problem seems to be known for a long time, and yet is not on the release 1.04 roadmap. It's true that the lockpicking problem was found very fast, but this one seems much harder? Did you try more comprehensive logs? Are you using threads or something like that that could make the state interleaved and inconsistent even if the code appears fine?

Are you currently able to reproduce the problem? I remember fixes that sound very similar to this being put in after 1.03.

I'm just wondering if it's something that's been overlooked or forgotten about. It's nothing that I can really sort out as I havent started working on the TDM source yet (textures, materials and strange tools).

Hi,

I don't know if it's already been noticed/taken care of or not, but as of 1.03 when the player pauses the game in the midst of aiming an arrow --- upon return to the game, the player has a sort-of "out-of-body" experience in that one can turn the camera around and see clipping of the character's hands, essentially a free look type of situation. Though it returns to normal after the player releases the arrow, if the player is still holding the "attack" key and presses the "clear weapon" key, the game doesn't count the release as the use of one of the player's arrows. It kinda seems like it could be exploitative somehow, since in theory one could have an unlimited amount of arrows (I tried it on multiple fan missions, so it seems to be a general bug). If I need to clarify anything else, just let me know!

Thanks,

Deuxthief

Any way i can help debug the hangs? I'm seeing very serious hangs of the whole program and computer, (that is disturbing because i have a dual core anyway), and i have to power cycle the whole computer.

Do you have some kind of logging debug version i can use to narrow it down?