The Dark Mod Forums

Stone footstep sound set

Noisycricket

For various reasons, this is 8 months late. I thought about holding it off even longer while i record other sounds, but what the heck, its Christmas. This is a more realistic stone footstep sound set that i've finally finished. Its more of a leathery, soft boot sound. Its not perfect and is very soft sounding, but was the point. I had a hard time coming to grips with the fact that in real life, footsteps can be virtually silent, even at full sprint. I'm also a virtual reality junkie and these very much give me a better feeling of being there. With the files currently provided, they will be pretty closely matched in volume with the existing 1.03 footsteps. I plan on releasing another sound shader file which brings more of the volumes to realistic levels, like the carpet, metal and water. Might not be for everyone, but here it is... Merry Christmas. ;)

To install, copy the sound folder into the darkmod folder. Then rename tdm_sound_sfx02.pk4 to tdm_sound_sfx02.zip. Navigate to the footsteps\player folder and cut-out and backup or delete all of the files starting with "stone". Then rename the zip file back to .pk4.

http://www.mediafire...la5s5ny78chjk1h

Same set with tappier walking sounds.

http://www.mediafire...f5v7cwktxy9wvhv

Hey thanks!! But 1.03 came also with newer and nicer footstep-sounds for some ground-types. For the stone I can´t decide now which ones are better. ^_^

I guess I´ll give some the guards because I can´t stand them, however, listening to the stone-sounds out of 'sound\sfx\movement\ footsteps\human\', they sound way much better as in game. Though, annoying are only that loud ones like on the steps in the town-part in Cathedral of St. Alban.

Also in Fidcal´s Sound/Blackjack-trainer guards do stone-sounds on wood, but I saw now that there are already wood-sounds for the guards and the soundshader-def is correct too, so it must be a bug in the trainer...

Anyway, why do I have to delete files from the original pk4? (don´t need to rename to zip, just open with zip-program like 7-zip) Ah I see, I remember that from my Doom3-modding, the engine loads both sound-shaders and the old ogg-defs don´t get overridden by the new wav´s, so both are conflicting, took me a whole week to find that issue back then...

Well, now, when you run the updater you would have to delete the ogg´s again because of the stupid soundshader-handling... <_<

From whom came then the new stone-footsteps that were shipped with v1.03?

-> Crisis of Capitalism

-> 9/11 Truth

->

(hard stuff), more

Hey thanks!! But 1.03 came also with newer and nicer footstep-sounds for some ground-types. For the stone I can´t decide now which ones are better. ^_^

I guess I´ll give some the guards because I can´t stand them...

I could probably make some of those with the recordings I made. I got up at 3:30 in the morning several times so i could record footsteps just outside my door on real cement with as little ambient noise as possible, so i recorded as much as i could stand with a ton of different steps with 5 different types of footwear. I should probably be able to mash something together from everything i've got.

Also in Fidcal´s Sound/Blackjack-trainer guards do stone-sounds on wood, but I saw now that there are already wood-sounds for the guards and the soundshader-def is correct too, so it must be a bug in the trainer...
That'd be my guess.

Well, now, when you run the updater you would have to delete the ogg´s again because of the stupid soundshader-handling... <_<
Yeah, unless the "code wielders" figure out how to prevent whatever that is from happening.

I thought they were the same in the end.

I could probably make some of those with the recordings I made. I got up at 3:30 in the morning several times so i could record footsteps just outside my door on real cement with as little ambient noise as possible, so i recorded as much as i could stand with a ton of different steps with 5 different types of footwear. I should probably be able to mash something together from everything i've got.

Hehe, I adore your effort! :)

But with 1.03 there came definitely new player-footsteps, at least for 'stone', but my impression tells me that 'dirt' sounds better too. To be honest, after testing I like 1.03´s stone-steps more than yours. Yours sound too 'soft' for my taste.

I guess you got used to them via SVN? (the 1.03-ones I mean)

Or was there a bug that the guard-stone-sounds were played for the player before in 1.02??? :unsure: Or was my install corrupt? :unsure: Anyway, right now the player-footsteps sound damn good. I´m not sure for 'slade', that bothered me before, I´ll have to test again later.

The guards are the ones that would need more attention for the loud sounding steps. That´s really hard because it really seems that the ogg´s are sounding better in OS than in the game. Maybe it´s my sound-setup... :unsure:

Again, thank you very much for your effort for the footsteps!!! Those are very important (´cause you gonna hear them for the whole mission...) ! ^_^

-> Crisis of Capitalism

-> 9/11 Truth

->

(hard stuff), more

Me. I did a similar operation to NoisyCricket in terms of recording myself, but with less thoroughness since I couldn't be bothered to get up at 3am and only used two different types of footwear. ^_^

I haven't listened to NC's footsteps yet, but from previous discussions I understand that he is going for a deliberately "quiet" alternative set for people who prefer the extra realism to the "traditional Thief-like" approach.

That´s really hard because it really seems that the ogg´s are sounding better in OS than in the game. Maybe it´s my sound-setup... :unsure:

Check the sound shaders as well, not all of the OGG files are actually used, since there have been several footstep iterations. Also the human/ ones are often different from the player/ ones (which is why guards sound different, and in my opinion quite a bit worse in some cases).

Yeah, i know at least some of the footsteps are different, but since i've been testing different stone ones, I've lost track. I'm glad you like the new 1.03's, I believe those are Orbweaver's stone sounds then along with the rest, I like them too and they are part of the reason i don't have to bother with finishing what i tentatively was going to call "The Soft Project", a completely new set of player footstep sounds. But the stone sounds, i still wasn't quiiiiiiiiiiiiite... happy with, but i was never a huge fan of the tap shoes.

I'm checked in my reference recordings, I couldn't find much that could be used for the guards footsteps. I'd have to get some different boots. My knock-off military boots sound very convincing and have a lot of character, but are just too soft.

This has all reminded me that i made a tappier set of walk footsteps with the same sandal, which i really liked and almost used, so i'll make these available too.

Same set with tappier walk.

http://www.mediafire.com/?f5v7cwktxy9wvhv

EDIT:

That´s really hard because it really seems that the ogg´s are sounding better in OS than in the game.

This is something i experience as well, I hear much more detail in the OS than in the game. I'd call that a problem. For example, I put a little dust and a few grains of dirt on the ground that you can hear in my footstep sounds in the OS that can't be heard at all in the game.

If you´re going to make quieter player-footsteps don´t forget to decrease the step-volume! These are the values:

pm_stepvol_crouch_creep -12;pm_stepvol_crouch_run 0;pm_stepvol_crouch_walk -6;pm_stepvol_creep -12;pm_stepvol_run 6;pm_stepvol_walk -2

Note that these are slightly altered because I copied them from my Movement-mod and I don´t know where they´re stored, didn´t found them in a def-file.

Putting them into autoexec.cfg, I´m not sure, but I think after a reload the old values are back again.

Then again, could be a 'breaking map'-factor, but I don´t care for that. :rolleyes:

I must say that the 1.03-steps are quiet enough for my taste. In a mission with good ambiance they´re feeling right, your´s sound too quiet but OTOH your´s should be more realistic, but atm I prefer the new (1.03) defaults.

And I´m looking forward for your new guard-steps!! *no_pressure_of_course* :)

-> Crisis of Capitalism

-> 9/11 Truth

->

(hard stuff), more

There should be no need to adjust any cvars, unless you want to change the amount by which the game attenuates or boosts footsteps at different movement speeds. Making footsteps globally quieter or louder can be done in the .sndshd files.

I thought about guard-behaviour, if your steps are quieter, then guards should have a harder time hearing you too.

Your spending a hell of a lot of time analyzing sounds you don't like, lol. Anyway, as i hear them through my speaker setup (headphones at %15 volume), they sound closer to what would get a real guards attention in real life at those distances. The volume of the previous steps ive heard would get a guards attention from a mile away. I've been having sound issues, so who knows, but i tried to get them to around the same as the current. I plan on making my own even lower when we get the music volume slider working. They're harder to hear over loud ambient music and completely smothered by machines sounds i've tested with, but it is supposedly planned to code the guards so they cannot hear your steps as well around machinery.

but it is supposedly planned to code the guards so they cannot hear your steps as well around machinery.

Yeah!! That was sth I was going to ask anyway, cool!! :) (though I don´t like that 'supposedly') Alright if you say they sound right (to guards too) I´ll trust you. I haven´t dismissed them yet. But this is the first time I´m enjoying my own footsteps so I wanna hear them for quite a time now. (thanks again OrbWeaver!!) Since I´m most of the time on a slower walk-speed... It´s cool to have the ability to choose from different shoes before a heist. Let´s just say the tappier ones need to be cleaned first but I´m too lazy to do so I stick to my 'old' ones (though they are new too, *my translator gives me two options for the following:*

1.) embarrass de richesses

2.) to be spoilt for choice)

And your headphones are only at 15%? Well, while my Wave-setup is 100%, my Creative-center speaks of 36%-overall-volume. I can´t control my (cheap but damn good sounding 5.1-) headphones. I´m also planning on buying me a 7.1-headset for 70 € but atm they are too expensive. But I´m such an Ambiance Addict and I can´t stand the gap between LeftFront and LeftRear when turning the view, hmm :wub:, TDM is getting a more 'heavenly' experience soon... I´m so sorry that I drifted away. :blush:

-> Crisis of Capitalism

-> 9/11 Truth

->

(hard stuff), more

I can´t control my (cheap but damn good sounding 5.1-) headphones. I´m also planning on buying me a 7.1-headset for 70 € but atm they are too expensive.

I've recently received some extra strength snake oil with 20% more unicorn hair, you'd be wise to purchase it. But in all seriousness just buy a decent pair of stereo headphones, they sound far better than any of those terrible 5.1/7.1 gimmickfests which are almost always just software filtering on stereo sound anyway. Why do you think they always use USB and require specific OS's ? :) USB sound also means that any hardware sound you have, will not be used at all.

A pair of good quality stereo headphones, like HD555's or similar will last far longer and give you a faaar better experience, if you have an ok soundcard you can most likely enable the same stuff that the pretend 7.1/5.1's if you really wanted to.

But my actually (Zalmann) pretends to have 'true' 5.1 instead of emulated and it really sounds terrific (is also put directly into soundcard, no USB), though I had very cheap ones before. But yeah, since my Zalmann´s rear right channel got corrupt recently (just a short period after warranty expired) I 'transformed' them into Stereo via Sound-setup and the 3D-stereo-option sounded very good. But I bought them again (only 16€ by now) and well, either it´s my mind playing games, but 5.1 output gives more 'deepness'. Though, they come without implemented Subwoofer. Right now I just raised the first two from left sliders in Equalizer to have more 'bums'. :) The 70€-7.1-ones will come with it, I can´t find them now but I remember they got USB but were also pretending to have 'true' 7.1-sound, hmm. Other 7.1-stuff is fare more expensive. So thanks for the USB-clarification, I would´ve stepped into that trap... :blush:

Well, as I said, that gap between Front and Rear is strongly noticeable, so I still dream of 7.1 or even 12.1-sound (or better 14.1) for my ears... :wub:

Oh, and about that snake-oil: It must be´ve been expensive, because unicorn´s are hard to come by these days IIRC and also, is it 'real' strenght' or only 'emulated' by mind-tricks?

Good Lord, I just googled HD555 (Sennheiser, eh?) and they are es expensive as 7.1-ones, seems I have to do more research, I would love to test and compare them with the 7.1-ones...

Edited by LEGION

-> Crisis of Capitalism

-> 9/11 Truth

->

(hard stuff), more

Hey Noisycricket, I just want to tell you that I tested your tappier steps again and now I stick to them. They are more realistic after all, though now the other steps sound a little bit out of place... ^_^;)

I'd be tempted to make some more sounds, but given the feedback this thread has gotten thus far, I think im done for the time being. I need to get a better type of microphone for this anyway, my current mic isn't sensitive enough. Glad you like the tappier sounds though.;)

but given the feedback this thread has gotten thus far, I think im done for the time being.
I´m sure that most people are so blown away from your work (in combination with v1.03) that they just can´t stop playing and hence can´t comment here. ;) Or they are afraid of messing around with mod-stuff, overwriting and such.

Today I did a lot of Audio-testing for demagogue and I must say that in the meantime I really LOVE your tappier (my translator tells me that this is not actually a word) set!!! It fits perfectly now (one needs time to get used to the difference, but now I wouldn´t say that they don´t fit guard-responding) and also provides a lot of detail, more than the sets from before.

I see no reason why they shouldn´t be put into the mod. The difference to the other sound-sets (grass, wood and so on) is notable, but not that big.

-> Crisis of Capitalism

-> 9/11 Truth

->

(hard stuff), more

• 2 weeks later...
Well, as I said, that gap between Front and Rear is strongly noticeable, so I still dream of 7.1 or even 12.1-sound (or better 14.1) for my ears... :wub:

Headphones have two channels, one for each ear. Therefore, any sound that comes out of them is 2-channel, not "5.1", "7.1", "9999999.1" or any other crap that the marketers put on the box. They might be able to mix down a whole load of channels with some DSP effects to make it sound more "ambient", but you're not getting actual surround sound and buying more expensive headphones with a larger number of "channels" is just a waste of money in my view.

Those are nice sounding steps, certainly. I've never attempted to record footsteps for the purpose of in game use, and I'd imagine it'd be a challenge to get them to sound natural, but you seem to have managed it just fine. Good work!

Where are the REAL brits?! The one's we have are just brit-ish.

how does the team think about your tapper-set?

I actually quite like the "tappy jump land" sound. The current stone jump-land is one I hacked up from the regular footsteps, and isn't really that good, so at some stage I might try using NC's version as the basis for an improved attempt (assuming he's OK with it).

Noisy,

I forgot to tell you: your tapper sound-shader 'tdm_footstep_stone_jump_land' refers to a non-existant

sound/sfx/movement/footsteps/player/stone_jump_land04.wav

resulting in a jump-sound not played. (default-sound is silence)

Also, the stone-set with that you started this thread (and I think ocn was referring to) would be fitting perfectly the upcoming Thief-AI!!!! :)

And about the headphones, yeah, the doubt is spreading, maybe it was my imagination after all, I still would love to compare the 7.1-phones...

-> Crisis of Capitalism

-> 9/11 Truth

->

(hard stuff), more

Headphones have two channels, one for each ear. Therefore, any sound that comes out of them is 2-channel, not "5.1", "7.1", "9999999.1" or any other crap that the marketers put on the box. They might be able to mix down a whole load of channels with some DSP effects to make it sound more "ambient", but you're not getting actual surround sound and buying more expensive headphones with a larger number of "channels" is just a waste of money in my view.

I don't know... it's not like you have more than two ears, so it seems like it should be possible to create a pair of headphones that could mimic the directionality of multiple channels from sound that uses more than stereo. I imagine it would require USB and software rather than standard 3.5mm jack.

Noisy,

I forgot to tell you: your tapper sound-shader 'tdm_footstep_stone_jump_land' refers to a non-existant

sound/sfx/movement/footsteps/player/stone_jump_land04.wav

resulting in a jump-sound not played. (default-sound is silence)

Oh weird, i'll check it out.