The Dark Mod Forums

Editing Under Linux?

Tels

Moin,

just wanted to pop in and say "hullo" to all. :ph34r:

Looking forward to this mod like nothing else. :D

One question, though: I own Doom3, but I finished it in Linux before the first patch/SDK came out. So, is it possible to map/edit under Linux, or do I need evil Windooze for this? Searched that forum, but couldn't find an answer to that. (And have been out of the loop of the darkengine er darkmod er mapping community for too long :)

Take care and loot,

Tels

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

Hi Tels, good to have you here :)

I hope this helps:

This is what i have as my shortcut for the D3 editor:

Target: (here goes the path to the Doom3 folder)\Doom3.exe +seta r_fullscreen 0 +seta com_allowConsole 1 +editor +vid_restart

That's what I use to get to the editor ;)

If you want an explanation of what the commands do:

+seta r_fullscreen 0 - makes the editor in not fullscreen, trust me you NEED this ;)

+seta com_allowConsole 1 - lets you to bring down the console with JUST the tilde (~), not alt+ctrl+~

+editor - self explanatory

+vid_restart - resets the rendering and whatnot. Used by me to apply the fullscreen 0.

For the path to the Doom3.exe normal, I have:

Target: (here goes the path to the Doom3 folder)\Doom3.exe +r_fullscreen 1 +seta com_AllowConsole 1 +vid_restart

Basically makes sure that Doom3 starts in fullscreen (cos the old-fashioned way was to keep changing the DoomConfig.cfg (the fullscreen part) back and forth.

So just chuck these in, if they're of help ;)

--Dram

Hi Tels, good to have you here :)

I hope this helps:

This is what i have as my shortcut for the D3 editor:

Target: (here goes the path to the Doom3 folder)\Doom3.exe +seta r_fullscreen 0 +seta com_allowConsole 1 +editor +vid_restart

[snip]

--Dram

Helo Dram!

Do I know you? (Just kidding, because every Thief knows every Taffer :ph34r:

Anyway, I asked about Linux, and I doubt that Doom3.exe will work here good enough.

Thanx to the gtkradiant link from somebody else, I forgot about this one. Last time I looked, it barely had doom3 support and this version wasn't available for linux. Now it seems that should work, downloading it as I type this...

Excuse me, I have a program to install :)

Tels

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

# rpm --install gtkradiant-1.5.0-2005-01-16.i386.rpm
error: Failed dependencies:
       gtk2 >= 2.4.0 is needed by gtkradiant-1.5.0-3
       gtkglext >= 1.0.0 is needed by gtkradiant-1.5.0-3
       libgdkglext-x11-1.0.so.0 is needed by gtkradiant-1.5.0-3
       libgtkglext-x11-1.0.so.0 is needed by gtkradiant-1.5.0-3
       mhash >= 0.9.0 is needed by gtkradiant-1.5.0-3

Since my SuSE 9.1 still has gtk 2 2.2.x, I would need to update my entire system to install this. Ugh. :(

That's what emerge is for. :) Using gentoo. :)

Ugh, that also amounts to a complete re-install - no thank you :)

BTW: Are you by chance the author of cowgen?

Yeah. Wow, I wouldn't have thought that somebody remembers that old project - I nearly forgot it myself B)

Dram: Well, I don't have actually the desire to either backup&update or re-install my system. I thought could postpone this a few months. *harumpf* And upgrading gtk amounts to basically updating the entire system - thats the only one thing I hate about SuSE :o

Anyway, if I know you guys, but forgot how you are, well, be kind with me :-)

Cheers,

Tels :ph34r:

There is a emerge like system. Unfortunately I forgot the name, but I think it is from debian installations. This can be used on Suse as well. I never used it and I swtiched fully to gentoo, so I don't have Suse any longer, exactly because of this problem that you described above. :) Ah! Just remember it. apt-get. This is as simple to use as emerge. You can do all these dependencies automatically and it is much more admin friendly then Yast. You still would have to install all the stuff that you mentioned, but apt-get would resolve the dependencies automatically for you and you can just let it run, instead of hunting for this or that library. :) You might give it a try. I must say that I never would like to go back to yast now that I had a taste of portage (and apt-get is rather similar in usage). It is harder to learn, because you have to know more about Unix with Gentoo, but once it is installed, maintenance is a breeze.

Edit: Forgot to ask. Are you interested to code for the darkmod?

Edited by sparhawk

Gerhard

Oh yeah, CowGen. If I remember what it is, then I think it was the program which helped convert Thief missions into .t3d. Right?

I converted several, but never got around to re-texturing them.

I did download CowGen, though I forgot what it was for. LOL.

Dammit! someone tell me.

EDIT: Oh, crap, sorry Tels, did'nt notice you could'nt install it. Sorry, I was'nt being sarcastic :( . My apologies.

Edited by Dram

[snip]

Ah! Just remember it. apt-get.

Edit: Forgot to ask. Are you interested to code for the darkmod?

apt-get for Suse is, well lets say, vastly inferior to both Yast and the real thing on debian and emerge. Last time I used it, it completely fubared my system :/ I think we should continue the OS discussion elsewhere, if you want to chat about that sort of stuff :)

Anyway, I'll find a way to install gtkradiant... B)

Tels

PS: Yes, would like to dabble in coding for dark mod, the doom3 engine impressed the hell out of me and the first thing I thought "wow, that would make a good Thief engine.." :)

Oh yeah, CowGen. If I remember what it is, then I think it was the program which helped convert Thief missions into .t3d. Right?

I converted several, but never got around to re-texturing them.

I did download CowGen, though I forgot what it was for. LOL.

Dammit! someone tell me.

EDIT: Oh, crap, sorry Tels, did'nt notice you could'nt install it. Sorry, I was'nt being sarcastic :( . My apologies.

No offence taken :)

About Cowgen:

Well, I havent touched/used Cowgen for years :) (Somebody please tell me what others did with it in that time..)

I consider it not too successfull (Well, I consider it a specacular timesink and failure, actually :), because 90% of the work went into reverse engeenering DarkEngines's fileformat, instead of creating features. Unfortunately, most of the file format I never decoded properly meaning it was forever incomplete. And since it never had a GUI, it was inaccessible to most of the people. (A definite mistake on my part - but I was young and needed the money :D

Cowgen was, basically, an import/export filter for original thief levels. And since it could also create them from scratch, you could (in theory) create thief levels with it by describing them in Perl source code. Xarax (who I quote in my .sig :) used it to create random small city houses.

If I would do such a project today, I would do quite a few things different :P

Of course we remember cowgen. I actually even used it once. ;) Whatever happened to the OpenGL 3D engine thing you where workin on?

Hehe :)

About the OpenGL thing: Too much work, too little time. I gave up on it a long time ago :huh:

I think using a premade engine and modding it is much much better (especially now that we actually have something like doom3 with real-time lighting and great flexibility!)

About the OpenGL thing: Too much work, too little time. I gave up on it a long time ago :huh:

I think using a premade engine and modding it is much much better (especially now that we actually have something like doom3 with real-time lighting and great flexibility!)

Heh, yeah, I always thought it seemed a little crazy to develop an entire thief game with perl. A pretty monumental task. :)

Tels  :ph34r:

Ahhh Cowgen. I searched everywhere for that. I thought it was a brilliant idea. So, you're looking to code for Dark Mod huh? ;) Send an email to me at recruiting@thedarkmod.com if you would seriously like to apply. :) I can then get you started on your way to darkmod application.

Ahhh Cowgen.  I searched everywhere for that.  I thought it was a brilliant idea.  So, you're looking to code for Dark Mod huh?  ;)  Send an email to me at recruiting@thedarkmod.com if you would seriously like to apply.  :)  I can then get you started on your way to darkmod application.

http://www.bloodgate.com/perl/packages/cow.zip - Warning! Last modified Januar 2001 (e.g. four years ago...) :D

Email is on the way with my new adresses. (I had to disable the taffer@ and thief@ adresses due to too much spam :angry: )

Edited by Tels

Ok, after much sweating, swatting, gnashing of teeth, rebuilding and clicking, I upgraded a few libs (GTK, Pango and Glib et al) to the latest versions and can now run GTKRadiant on my SuSE 9.1 box - so I am a happy camper er mapper :ph34r: