The Dark Mod Forums

Bug with mission introductions

i30817

During a mission introduction, instead of waiting for it to end, or press the left mouse button to make it go to the equipment store, press ESC instead. You will be dropped to the main menu, but you don't have a mouse cursor no more, and can't do anything (i killed wine with another framebuffer console). Can be a wine bug, needs windows testing.

Edited by i30817

Yeah, this is a known issue. Fidcal reported something like this a few times and I believe he actually warns about it in the FMs' infotext.

By the way, better add further bug reports to the "bugs circa 1.03" thread, so that we got everything nice and clean.

That´s a bug in the briefing-GUI. There is somewhere 'set mousecursor=1' missing, wait, I fixed that in my german translation for Crown of Penitence, I haven´t loaded it up now, but I´m sure it´s this:

// Called when the MainMenuModeSelect script switches states.
windowDef BriefingStateEnd
{
	noTime 1

onTime 0
	{
		set "cmd" "log 'BriefingStateEnd called.'";

set "Briefing::visible" "0";
		set "BriefingAnimation::visible" "0";
		set "BriefingAnimation::notime" "1";
		showCursor "1" ; // UNhide cursor

set "notime" "1";
	}
}

I added 'showCursor "1" ; // UNhide cursor'.

But now, as we have Sotha´s GUI it´s not that important anymore I guess. I´m sure Sotha´s code can be improved to experience Briefings almost like the old ones and everyone will use it for his/her future FM. :) I´m very happy with what I did for my german version for crown to reconstruct the original briefing, well, you´ll see when I/we (me & 7upMan) finally release it along with another FM-translation... :rolleyes:

-> Crisis of Capitalism

-> 9/11 Truth

->

(hard stuff), more

press ESC instead. You will be dropped to the main menu, but you don't have a mouse cursor no more,

Doesn't happen for me. I still have a cursor and the menu works normally.

With the beleaguered fence it happens, some others i've seen it not happen.

BF uses its own custom briefing code.

BF uses its own custom briefing code.

Well not code, but it certainly has it's individual mainmenu_briefing.gui like every single other FM with animation briefing. I cannot remember where I copied the .gui-file before modifying it for BF. I took it from some other FM, so the error is most likely there as well.

Knighton Manor uses the same .gui file, but it is modified into a button controlled briefing. It may have the ESC problem too, but it does not matter, since this button gui does not hide the mouse at all, like the flowing animation one does.

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

Oops, my mistake. I thought it was BF that used your forward/back briefing.

Yeah, it´s definitely what I said: (and nobody listened, not good for my ego... -_- )

Open beleaguered_fence.pk4 with zip-program and extract the gui-folder into the Doom3\beleaguered_fence-folder. Then open mainmenu_briefing.gui (located in gui-folder) in text-editor and search for the following: (it starts at line 57)

{
	noTime 1

onTime 0
	{

set "notime" "1";
	}
}

Then add showCursor "1" ; somewhere inside the inner brackets, so it looks like this:

{
	noTime 1

onTime 0
	{

showCursor "1" ;

set "notime" "1";
	}
}

Save the file and that´s it. The cursor is back when you hit ESC. :)

-> Crisis of Capitalism

-> 9/11 Truth

->

(hard stuff), more

So what makes this happen in some maps and not others?

Well, what FM does not have this behaviour? I thought it was in every mission because I rarely hit ESC during the briefing. :unsure:

Maybe other mappers found out and fixed it for themselves like me and haven´t told anyone (like me). :rolleyes:

-> Crisis of Capitalism

-> 9/11 Truth

->

(hard stuff), more

It didn't happen for me in "Thieves" but I just tried Beleaguered Fence and it did happen there. Serp couldn't reproduce it on the missions he was trying either.

I checked and I can reproduce it on BF.

At any rate, this is not a very critical bug (who presses esc during briefing anyway?) and it is a map bug, not TDM.

However maybe startpack should be supplied with fixed gui and mappers should be encouraged to use the official gui rather to copy it from existing FMs. This will fix it in future FMs.

I will not bother release updated mission because of this, but I will promise to fix it if I happen to update the map for some other more critical issue.

Clipper

Ach, an even more fancy plan coalesces in my mind.

LEGION has apparently done already the gui fixing. Could you please double/triple check your version of the gui works perfectly and then let me have it somehow (mediafire or attach in this thread or something). Thanks!

Then when I have time I will rewrite the Briefing (http://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php? title=Briefing) wiki article so that it gives brief overview of all the current three briefing types that are available:

• Standard timed flowing graphical briefing
  • Button controlled graphical briefing
  • Text-based briefing

The article will also provide the .gui-files themselves and also include short instructions how to edit the .guis to let people make their own briefings. And then we put a sticky post in the Editor Guilds section which tells about the bug in existing FM's and that people can get updated .gui-file from the wiki article.

And when we put a link into the wiki article, mappers can really easily find the relevant information via the wiki article, browse different kind of briefings, download the gui-file they are interested in and edit them to quickly make the kind of briefing they want.

And when we put fixed .gui-files there, the future FM's will not have any bugs of this kind! And the side benefit is easy briefings for new mappers. :)

Clipper

Sounds good, but really, it´s only 'showCursor "1" ;' that has to be put into 'windowDef BriefingStateEnd', that´s all and yes, I tested the briefing in every clickable way, all fine.

But to save you time (and because you´re indeed one or THE greatest TDM-mapper), here it is: mainmenu_briefing.gui.txt Just delete '.txt'. :)

Hmm, maybe take a look at my gui for the german Crown-version, it´s your gui but the pictures fly in more nicely and overlap with two text-pages. Also nice to have as a 'one-to-choose-from' I guess: mainmenu_briefing.gui.txt Note that you need four pictures for this GUI named: crown1.tga, crown2.tga, crown3.tga and crown4.tga or better change it in the gui itself to your needs, he. :blush:

-> Crisis of Capitalism

-> 9/11 Truth

->

(hard stuff), more