The Dark Mod Forums

Compiling on OSX

Midnight

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I assume you mean you double clicked the helper script rather than tdm_update.macosx? I think the instructions would be largely the same except for the recommendation to use the Application Support folder for the D3 location.

The darkmod.zip file should only need to contain the update program and helper script (with execute set) and everything should be good to go once the pk4 and launcher files are included in the update process. Can you let me know whether the following revised instructions seem okay or need to be amended in any way:

Install on Mac OSX (Intel)

Ensure that Doom 3 is patched to v1.3.1 RevA (which provides native support for Intel processors): http://support.aspyr.com/index.php/kb/article/000579

It is recommended that the "Doom 3" program folder is installed into the Application Support folder (i.e. ~/Library/Application Support/Doom 3/). If Doom 3 is installed into a different location then additional steps will need to be followed.

1) Download darkmod.zip, and place it in the "Doom 3" folder (alongside "Doom 3.app" and the "base" folder).

2) Decompress the darkmod.zip file by double clicking it, which creates a darkmod folder.

3) Within the darkmod folder, double click the tdm_update_helper.command file to begin downloading the latest release of TDM (approx 2GB).

4) If the Doom 3 folder is not located in the Application Support folder, see 'Using a custom Doom 3 location'.

5) Once this is complete, double click the tdmlauncher_helper.command file to launch TDM.

Note: A shortcut to these .command scripts can be created to make launching or updating TDM more convenient. Right click on the .command file and choose 'Create Alias' to create the shortcut, which can then be moved to the Desktop or Dock for example.

Using a custom Doom 3 location

Until idTech4 is open sourced, there is some dependency on the Application Support folder, where FMs are currently downloaded to. If the Doom 3 folder is not located within Application Support, you'll need to do the following to allow TDM to function as intended:

1) Open up a terminal window (if you don't know how to do this, type 'terminal' into the SpotLight search bar and press 'Enter' to run the terminal application).

2) Type the command 'cd ~/Library/Application\ Support/Doom\ 3/' (without quotes) and press the 'Enter' key.

3) Enter the command 'mkdir darkmod' and then 'cd darkmod' to change to the new darkmod directory.

4) Create a symbolic link with the command 'ln /folder/darkmod/tdmlauncher.macosx tdmlauncher.macosx' where /folder/ is the path to your "Doom 3" program folder.

5) You should now be able to launch TDM by double clicking the tdmlauncher_helper.command script in your "Doom 3" program folder where TDM has downloaded.

Known issues:

The automatic restart (when installing a FM, or restarting from the Graphics screen) currently fails to relaunch TDM v1.06 occasionally. If this happens, TDM will need to be launched manually by running the launcher program or script.

I assume you mean you double clicked the helper script rather than tdm_update.macosx?

Yes.

Can you let me know whether the following revised instructions seem okay or need to be amended in any way:

I'm done in for today, so I'll test this tomorrow.

I'm not certain, on my system the .macosx extension isn't associated with the terminal, so without the helper script you'd first have to change the properties of the launcher program. Maybe this can be set on the program that is downloaded, I'll upload a modified tdmlauncher.macosx program for grayman to test this evening.

Edited by Midnight

I can also instruct the tdm_update application to set the +x flag on the launcher. IIRC I already did such a thing in Linux.

edit: in fact, the code is already in place in tdm_update.

if (extension == ".linux" || extension == ".macosx")
{
TraceLog::WriteLine(LOG_VERBOSE, "Marking extracted file as executable: " + i->file_string());

struct stat mask;
stat(i->file_string().c_str(), &mask);

mask.st_mode |= S_IXUSR|S_IXGRP|S_IXOTH;

if (chmod(i->file_string().c_str(), mask.st_mode) == -1)
{
TraceLog::Error("Could not mark extracted file as executable: " + i->file_string());
}
}

You can still get to the webpage directly from http://www.mindplaces.com/darkmod/

I've emailed Sparhawk twice about the domain problem...not sure what's going on.

Thanks.

The only thing in the zip file is tdm_update.

So I'll assume the zip file we make available to Mac users will contain

darkmod/tdm_update.macosx

darkmod/tdm_update_helper.command

Given that, I created a darkmod folder by hand, dropped these two files into it, and double-clicked tdm_update_helper.command.

Update started.

Back later.

Once the download is complete, remember to copy in the pk4 and then can you download just the tdmlauncher.macosx file from this link. Place this in the darkmod folder and see if TDM launches (and restarts correctly after creating the sym link) when double clicking this without using the helper script.

Once the download is complete, remember to copy in the pk4 and then can you download just the tdmlauncher.macosx file from this link. Place this in the darkmod folder and see if TDM launches (and restarts correctly after creating the sym link) when double clicking this without using the helper script.

OSX says there's no application set to execute tdmlauncher.macosx.

I had to use the helper.

Edit: And the execute permissions were turned off. I had to turn them on.

Very nice. The executable flag will be set by tdm_update once the mac binaries are shipped with TDM. Let's leave the note in the instructions and revisit them once TDM 1.06 goes into pre-release test.

Thanks to both of you for the repeated testing!

• 5 weeks later...

Now that TDM is out, I've added some instructions on the website and more detailed instructions on the wiki:

Website: http://www.mindplaces.com/darkmod/download_the_mod.php

Wiki: http://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php?title=Installation#Install_on_Mac_OSX

If you can find the time, could somebody please review these? I've uploaded a new darkmod.zip file to bloodgate, containing the most recent updater binary and a tweaked tdm_update_helper.command script.

If step 5 creates a darkmod folder, step 3 is unnecessary.

Without step 3 there's no darkmod folder and no helper script to start the updater, or am I mis-understanding?

On the website step 6 and 7 are duplicates. Also, it might be clearer if instead of just saying "Download darkmod.zip" it said "Download darkmod.zip, which will self extract once the download is complete" or something like that.

Edited by Midnight

Without step 3 there's no darkmod folder and no helper script to start the updater, or am I mis-understanding?

Since the zip file includes a darkmod folder, you just copy that to the Doom 3 folder. This is why you don't need step 3.