The Dark Mod Forums

Anyone Recognize This Place?

grayman

This picture was on the cover of a catalogue I recently received.

post-3633-129443302258_thumb.jpg

I thought it would make an interesting mission, but the catalogue doesn't say where the building is.

I investigated the photographer and the site where they got the picture, but couldn't find the original.

Does anyone recognize this place?

Thanks.

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

Oh man, I/we gotta make a map from this place.. Gryman are you going to make a copy of the whole place or just the Chrurch as I recocon I/we could easily reproduce the whole place...!!!

The original 3D demo as seen in the video

- http://vizerra.com/e...tatev-monastery

Homepage and wiki for the real place

- http://www.tatev.org/

- http://www.armeniape...Tatev_Monastery

And some real images from the place

TatevPhoto1.jpg?imgmax=800

Tatev-Photo-1.jpg?imgmax=800

Tatev_detail-dcp7254.jpgTatev_monastery_mill-dcp3842_gall.jpg

399px-Tatev_DSC_3340.jpgTatev_gavazan-dcp7260.jpgTatev_monastery_side-dcp3756.jpg

Edited by Bikerdude

A few years ago I traveled to Armenia and visited Tatev Monastery. It's a really cool place and I would encourage making it into a mission.

If it will help I think I can dig around and find my old pictures. I'll have to scan them into my computer but I'll be happy to send them to you.

I was thinking about posting this in its own thread awhile ago, but decided not to, but i'll do it here. Heres some texture inspiration. These textures in the game "The Witcher" are very impressively done, mainly because there are so many differing textures blended into each other. Anyway, it somewhat similar to what im seeing in those pics.

http://www.youtube.c...B/2/PG2Nc4A_wYE

Edit:

Actually this video is a little better, hes starts exploring more of the interior of that castle.

http://www.youtube.c...B/4/qHUwWkKRhpE

Hows this for cool...

Hello,

We're excited that you are interested in including Tatev in the Doom Dark

Mod - and curious how you came to be interested in Tatev.

I will be forwarding two separate emails with AutoCAD files that should be

useful to you.

In return, we would really appreciate being kept abreast of your work in

progress.

Regards,

Pegor

Pegor Papazian

Chief Executive Officer

National Competitiveness Foundation of Armenia

Hows this for cool...

Oh yeah cool :wub:

If you got them, please tell us if they include the landscape around it?

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

The Dark Mod - Official game of Armenia

The guys seems very interested in my work on the replica, so he might join the forum - you never know we could have the head of a government dept playing tdm. I imagine it would look cool to them to see AI walking around thier Tatev :-)

One thing though, I need MUCH better textures than the stock tdm to do this map justice. Can anyone recommend places where I can download some either for free or at a small charge..?On that note Im gonna Pm sliptip and Drk over at ttlg for some of thier textures and see if they can be used or converted for use in tdm.

Oh yeah cool.If you got them, please tell us if they include the landscape around it?

Will do, I also looked at flying over there, but the prices were just rediculous I find it hard to believe there inst a cheaper way to get there.. I mean I can fly to Turkey for £150 like..

Edited by Bikerdude

That's super cool news. Giving you AutoCad files is really nice of them and so much better than the photos that I could provide from my trip there.

Well, the auto cad thing is AWESOME! and would be of great help acurately laying out the monestary in realistic detail.

But nothing can be photos when trying to replicate the look and feel of materials and lighting.

--------

I gotta say that outside pic is an awesome inspiration too. Beautiful little church up there but you look closer and see how they built up walls on the cliffs and those walls are full of windows. It's really much larger than it looks.

Would be great to sneak up a small cliff path to get in.

---------

And how/why did you try to contact someone in the Armenian Govt to obtain more info on it? That's dedication, I wouldn't even have thought they give you the time of day to respond, much less send you Cad files.

Armenia is now my favorite country :)

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest

I emailed both the webmaster of www.tatev.org and the Armenian tourist site, I thought it cant hurt to ask. I never expected to get much, but was I blown away! AC files no less - 7 emails, 45Mb in total!

Im downloading a trial copy of AC to open up these files as we speak..

Edited by Bikerdude

I gotta say that outside pic is an awesome inspiration too. Beautiful little church up there but you look closer and see how they built up walls on the cliffs and those walls are full of windows. It's really much larger than it looks.

You're right, it is bigger than just the church and some curtain walls. I don't know if it's still true but when I was there people were allowed to enter the underground passageways via that archway you can see in that large aerial photo. It was originally just a chapel and later it grew into a large monastery. By the way, I don't think it was ever used as a military structure.

If I remember correctly it was once even bigger than it is now but parts of it were destroyed in the 1930s during an earthquake. It's located/perched on a spur which overlooks a steep valley below. If you go to Google earth you might be able to get a better sense of the lay of the land. It's a beautiful location and region.

I emailed both the webmaster of www.tatev.org and the Armenian tourist site, I thought it cant hurt to ask. I never expected to get much, but was I blown away! AC files no less - 7 emails, 45Mb in total!

Im downloading a trial copy of AC to open up these files as we speak..

let us know whatkindof files could be exported. fbx would be handy for max and maya. possibly others too.

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest

As always, if you need me to recreate materials - let me know; I'd also happily do the normals and such for the materials you hope to get from the TTLG guys. Samples/photos/anything make life easier.

As for Autocad, with a little luck and converting goodness you should be able to get them into DR by converting to a mesh, which you might be able to scale down enough to get a pretty good guide in DR.

I'll also be working on my contrib site to make this easier, I kinda forgot about it for 4-5 months and realised while reading last night - ffs :(

ATM I'm just knocking out Melans remaining textures for 1.04 and working on remaking some of the lowres/bad ones that are currently in (brown_blocks atm, no more jpeg artifacts whee.)

The Autocad files that were sent to me are drawings, not 3D representations of the compound. How would I go about using the drawings as I guess a template in DR, or is there now way and I will have to do it all by hand..?

As a sign of trust I cant give these out the drawings as-is as are way more detailed than I expected. The details show the compound has been modernised so I assume people or monks live or work there.

On the map front I the basic reproduction of the main church was over scale (I had been wondering why I felt like a small person, etc). Will have to pull apart 10hrs of work, arrgghh.. but it should go a little faster now I have hi-res floorplan to look at..

Also anyone know whre I need to looks so I can remove all the un-needed items(in this case all the moerns stuff, like outless, toilets, tables, chairs etc) in the drawing. I am using AutoCAD 2011 trial.

Edited by Bikerdude

The Autocad files that were sent to me are drawings, not 3D representations of the compound. How would I go about using the drawings as I guess a template in DR, or is there now way and I will have to do it all by hand..?

Can you use them as background image?