The Dark Mod Forums

The Dark Mod front page Fileplanet

Unstoppable

Man, we definitely need to get new screenshots up on the website (and where the hell did they get that old WIP inventor? That thing hasn't been posted on the website since 2007.)

@Springheel: definitely

Their download link links to a full copy of v1.03 (good!), but their descrioption says "doom 3 dark mod beta client" (huh?) and lists this description:

http://www.fileplanet.com/206715/200000/fileinfo/Doom-3---Dark-Mod-Beta-Client

In The Dark Mod, you play a master thief living in a dark, sprawling city. A blend of gothic architecture and steampunk technology, the city contains great, belching chimneys, grand cathedrals, and medieval manor-houses. As a master of the shadows, you move through the city streets unseen, avoiding the eyes (and blades) of the city's thieves' guild, while doing jobs for the various political factions. Nobles, mages or the Church, it doesn't matter, as long as the pay is good.

In technical terms, our goal is to create a complete conversion of the Doom 3 platform, turning it into a stealth-based game. We have created new and improved AI, and new models and textures that support a 'steampunk' genre made popular by Looking Glass Studio's "Thief" franchise.

It's here!!It's been a long, five year journey to this point, and Broken Glass Studios is proud to present the beta of The Dark Mod. We are also releasing four missions, including a beautiful and extensive training mission where you can practice all the new TDM skills. After honing your skills, you'll probably want to play some missions, you can find them

Looks like an outdated version from moddb... that got cut off, too!

And people wonder wwhy "game journalist" isn't a popular job :)

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

Worst is the "Hitman" thing.

No. No. No.

No. No.

No. No.

See? I am a purist... when it comes to real slights. ...sure that game, Hitman, is fine and dandy but let me set you straight it is not to be mentioned in the same brea... and furthermore... what you fail to grasp apparently... well, yes, they are both superior to Goofball Bad Deriv (Assassin's Creed)... not in the same breath neither of them though... no, you see, there is Thief and what it has wrought... and there are a bunch of inferior to varying degrees, but strictly inferior, commercial rip-offs and far-removed cousins...

I think it's a nice presentation of the mod. The screens maybe outdated but they look good and they should be interesting enough to newcomers. I dont think mentioning hitman along with thief is a bad idea either, hitman can be played silently just as much as thief can be played violently. Yes 47-s objectives are murders but its just a change of profession, gameplay wise, i think the whole open-level storytelling design that counts, so in fact i hope there will be some hitman-ish fms later on.

I think this akin to somebody trying to convey the sound of a vintage music inspired band like Wolfmother by referencing another modern act like The White Stripes rather than Led Zeppelin or Black Sabbath. There is always this "playing to the kids" concept going on in these circles even if the journalist really knows the authentic roots... This is only a really bad thing when they use a reference to something completely shlock or unrelated like comparing Wolfmother to Godsmack (shlock) or Nirvana (unrelated).

So if Hitman is the "Godsmack" of stealth games then I see Aprisister's objection... (but I think that distinction belongs Splinter Cell...) :laugh:

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)