The Dark Mod Forums

Swinging sign

Springheel

I'm trying to make a sign swing in the wind. I have a sign model bound to a func_pendulum, but the swinging seems to only happen one direction. I've tried adding an "angle" spawnarg, but it has no effect. How do you make something swing east-west instead of north-south?

This topic seems to indicate that Models don't seem to work as well as func_static...

http://www.doom3worl....php?f=1&t=9969

The rotate arg should work according to Splash Damage and Modwiki...

:unsure:

Edit:

bindOrientated

?

Edited by nbohr1more

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

I don't think angle works with brush and patch because when rotated the brushwork is just redrawn around the same orientation of the origin. Instead use a tiny cork model as the pendulum and bind to it. It can be obscured in a ceiling etc. Maybe we need a little simple invisible non solid model func pendulum entity.

[EDIT] or is Stumpy saying manually type in the 'rotation' spawnarg rather than just rotate it in DR? Does that work?

I have swinging signs in Cleighmoor. Place the func_pendulum (a 2x2x2 nodraw-textured brush) on the axis of rotation of the model, bind the model to it, and give it these spawnargs:

angle (angle of the axis of rotation - this is right angles to the swing direction)

speed (how far it swings)

One sign swings in the NW<->SE direction. The func_pendulum has:

angle = 45

speed = 3

Another sign swings EW. Its func_pendulum has:

angle = 90

speed = 3

Both signs are func_static models.

I have swinging signs in Cleighmoor. Place the func_pendulum (a 2x2x2 nodraw-textured brush) on the axis of rotation of the model, bind the model to it, and give it these spawnargs...

Hey thanks! I was wondering few days ago how to do it but never bothered to pursue this further. Timing is impeccable.

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

have swinging signs in Cleighmoor. Place the func_pendulum (a 2x2x2 nodraw-textured brush) on the axis of rotation of the model, bind the model to it, and give it these spawnargs:

angle (angle of the axis of rotation - this is right angles to the swing direction)

speed (how far it swings)

That's pretty much what I've done, but changing the 'angle' property doesn't seem to have any effect. I'll take another look tonight and make sure it's set up properly.

Hmm, no luck. I tried several different angle values, and none of them changed the direction of the swinging. :huh:

Ah, I think I found the problem. I had set the actual sign model to func_pendulum as well at some point, and those were the values being used.

• 10 months later...

Back to this...is there any way to make a func_pendulum rotate on the X/Y axis? Instead of a hanging sign, I want something to swing back and forth like a door blowing in the wind.

No, I'm not 100% certain with models but I think it is literally only a gravity pendulum so you can only alter the compass direction it swings. You need to do it with a different mover. One kludge might be with a door entity using auto_open and auto_close. I forget the details but you can set the time [edit: delay between swings] to zero or near zero. A better way is a func_mover or somesuch and a script. If nobody comes up with a better answer I can do a script if you want - perhaps even put a bit of randomness in. Depends exactly what its for.

It's actually for something like a lighthouse. But I don't want it to spin around in a circle, I want it to swing back and forth in a 150 degree arc. I'll try a door entity and see if that works.

Back to this...is there any way to make a func_pendulum rotate on the X/Y axis? Instead of a hanging sign, I want something to swing back and forth like a door blowing in the wind.

Have you tried simply rotating the func_pendulum in the editor? I might simply copy its "rotation axis" with itself.

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

I read about the door swinging in the wind idea when reading about func_spring. Actually the example mentioned was a door with springed hinges (such as a waiter station door in a restaurant or a western saloon door). With func_spring, it will swing both directions less and less until it stops in the center. But with the right spring settings and trigger timing it could probably be made to keep swinging back & forth with some variation in the length of the swing. So it could be like a gush of wind pushes the door, it swings back and forth, then before settling to a stop another gush of wind pushes it again.... maybe.

Might have to put the func_pendulum in place and then on the func_spring set the two entities to be the pendulum and the door, without the door being bound directly to the pendulum.

Edited by PranQster

System: Mageia Linux Cauldron, aka Mageia 8

One kludge might be with a door entity using auto_open and auto_close

Turns out that worked perfectly for what I wanted...even better than func_pendulum, since I can set exactly the speed of the swing and how long it waits at each end. Thanks Fidcal.