The Dark Mod Forums

Strangling/suffocating

Rottenberry

That is one of the reasons I am not a big fan of overly large outdoor levels, the computer just can't handle the detail required to make it interesting.

Even IF it were more interesting to look at. Would you really want to take realtime travelling just because of that? When I have a quest at a given location and it takes me 4 hours to walk there, then I have to walk 4 hours back to report it to get my experience, do you think it would be more interesting to walk for eight hours just because the scenerie is looking nicer?

Gerhard

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Only if there were things to do on the way, and challenges etc... just as in RL, walking across endless sand dunes will get old a lot quicker than walking through a varied landscape with forests, rivers, groves etc. But in terms of actual time spent, I have easily spent over four hours on thief missions trying to find all of the secret areas etc, getting all of the loot, and the difference between a large outdoor level that takes four hours to walk across and a small, tight level that takes four hours to complete are really down to what you can, or have to, do in that time frame, and how challenging they are.

So large outdoor levels in most games I have played so far have tended to be a bit weak on the fun side because they lack detail, and because there is nothing to do besides walk for ages (and occasionally shoot things). Serious Sam only made those large deserts bearable by filling them with a ludicrous number of enemies (and that game got old quick).

I think taking long walks is something I would prefer to do in RL, I'd rather rob castles and explore spaceships in computer games, because I can't have that experience in RL. I still wan't that experience to be generally as realistic as is possible though, just minus the bladder meters etc :)

Make sense?

So large outdoor levels in most games I have played so far have tended to be a bit weak on the fun side because they lack detail, and because there is nothing to do besides walk for ages (and occasionally shoot things). Serious Sam only made those large deserts bearable by filling them with a ludicrous number of enemies (and that game got old quick).

You might want to try Farcry, it had huge outdoor environs, that made it fun (and encouraged you) to take the long way around and sneak up on the enemies.

http://www.thirdfilms. com

A Thief's Path trailer is now on Youtube!

Oh yes, Far Cry is an exception, I played the demo and was impressed, I'll have to get the full game one of these days :)