The Dark Mod Forums

Arx patch and source released

Midnight

For those of you who aren't aware, Arkane has just released a final patch for Arx Fatalis, and the source code: http://www.ttlg.com/...ad.php?t=134554

I've always thought that there would be so much creative potential for fan made missions in Arx Fatalis, maybe now this is something we may start to see. Of course this release doesn't included an editor, and the way levels were built in Arx is not exactly ideal (build the world geometry in 3D StudioMax, then convert / import), maybe to begin with we could see new quests set in the existing world geometry.

The year 2011 seems to be the year for source code releases, hopefully Rage is released on time and we get to see idTech4 source code later this year.

Edited by Midnight

Im more hoping for bug fixes. Did you know that setting a option in the cfg file manages to lock up linux when running in wine (when it gets to the menu)? (it seems much faster then, at least the intro, that since it is engine driven looks like a good test).

Fucking graphic drivers.

"forcegdi=0"

Edited by i30817

Never played this game, but if they were willing to release this, it restores more faith that they will allow the Doom 3 stuff to be opened too.

This confused me until I googled and found out that ZeniMax (which owns and was founded by Bethesda Softworks) has bought both Arkane Studios (on Aug 12, 2010) and id Software.

It seems that Fallout 3 has given them enough money to go on a huge acquisition spree: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ZeniMax_Media

I'm really happy about this news!

I like Arx Fatalis, great RPG elements on the game with a lot of atmosphere!

And now it will be possible to play it on Linux :rolleyes:

The next one to be released as GPL source, now will be Doom3... :laugh:

Edited by Ladro

Hmmm ... Maybe I should give it a try now. Never could play it because it always crashed after a few times of loading. It got better with the increase of patches but was never fixed completely and I gave up on it.

Now that I remember it, it wasn't even about loading, it was about changing the screen resolution. UNfortunately you couldn't stop it, because this doesn't only happen when saving/loading, but also when you went to another map. That was the primary reason I gave up, because I could limit the number of times I loaded, but not how often I have to cross map boundaries.

Gerhard

That's the main problem of many in-house engines - instability. Who knows, if Arx was built on something like Unreal Engine 2, LithTech Jupiter, GameBryo, RenderWare, or idTech 3, there would be much less bugs in it...

Edited by MoroseTroll

Now that I remember it, it wasn't even about loading, it was about changing the screen resolution. UNfortunately you couldn't stop it, because this doesn't only happen when saving/loading, but also when you went to another map. That was the primary reason I gave up, because I could limit the number of times I loaded, but not how often I have to cross map boundaries.

That's pretty weird, but you shouldn't have those problems in any of the recent patches. I played through 1.19 at 1680x1050 and the resolution stayed the same through loading areas, although I did need to reset it when starting a brand new game (never crashed from this though).

I did occasionally have memory related crashes when initiating pick-pocketing (which basically happens anytime you bump into someone), hoping that this new patch fixes this, but otherwise the game has been stable.