The Dark Mod Forums

Johannes' box

Johannes Burock

hello,

first i want to show u a picture of my ''map in progress'':

post-3575-129518090895_thumb.jpeg

and now my problem:

after a bit visportaling i changed many of the brushes worldspawn to func_static to degrees the tris...

BUT: in the trisreducingrush i changed some worldspawns of the ''Visportal cages'' parts to func_statics and saved blush.gif …so I cant directly change it back I think. Is there a option to change it back or a property for the func_static to use it for the ''Visportal cages'' ?

Or is a reproducing the only (timeintensive) way?

thanks, Johannes

Edited by Johannes Burock

Hey there,

You can revert func_static's to worldspawn. If you select a func_static then right click in the ortho-view, you should have the option "Revert to Worldspawn", which will do what you expect. I dont think the current DR 1.4 allows you to change your selection mode to selecting parts of a group, but you can try the 1.5 beta if you're interested in just doing that.

If you have any trouble or that doesnt work, just shout.

Johannes, those shots are very beautiful, even by oblivion standards.:wub:

You more soft lighting though (which is always gonna be a problem with Doom3's engine)

if you need a hand with vizportaling and such, just drop me a Pm..- having all those see through windows will kill your performance, so you will need to do one of two things -

1. change the windows texture to opaque.

2. put Vizportals in the windows with a Func_portal to close the VP when the player cant see said windows.

Edited by Bikerdude

Johannes, how far are you progress-wise? Can we expect a release in the next few days/weeks/months?

My Eigenvalue is bigger than your Eigenvalue.

thanks Bikerdude,

i first try to use patches for every beam...that looks very cool and not so unrealistic with more roundings and so but this wasnt a positiv idea for the performance.

To the Windows: in all this houses you can get in. And i hate it when I cant look outside or inside... I know its not good for performance but I try to get this with some more VP's. If it dont work...textures

Yes and the VP's thats a hard fight in this map... how I sayd, most builings are open to go...

is it possible do create a VP which is not a quad for the streets including the roof slope...so nearly like an Y ?With the merge tool its not...

Johannes

also thanks to all other.

first: I have a wife, a little daughter and a great dane...so the real live needs me...arg^^

i used my little freetime of the last two weeks for this point of progress. I hope its fast going on but I'm german, so more accuracy...^^

How I said its only a little mission...a short street and some lanes with open houses and a little bigger mansion for the obj.

In the past i started some bigger projects but without a spurn i give up two or three proj.... Is there somebody who want to get a bigger project with me after this map? We can plan the preradiantwork also parallel to this proj. but building two maps at the same time...not so good...

greetings from germany, Johannes

Beautiful! I'm jealous of your stylistic approach! :wub: And it's good that you're starting small, 'cause It's really easy to burn out on your first mission.

My nit-picking eye sees some wood trim on the buildings that needs func_static + noshadows.

yay seuss crease touss dome in ouss nose tair

That's some good visual work! The style is slightly fairy taleish, a hint of the Brothers Grimm as seen in Romantic childrens' book illustrations... impressive! :)

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

i used my little freetime of the last two weeks for this point of progress. I hope its fast going on but I'm german, so more accuracy...^^

greetings from germany, Johannes

Zis ist gut to know, bekors I'm a German too, and my beta-testing is equally thorough. Just ask Bikerdude, I had him remove all the z-fighting before the release of his first mission. ^_^ Anyway, if you are nearing the beta-test phase and are looking for testers, drop me a PM and I'll be lend a hand - with the added bonus that there will be no Sprachbarriere. ^_^

My Eigenvalue is bigger than your Eigenvalue.

is it possible do create a VP which is not a quad for the streets including the roof slope...so nearly like an Y ?

Stack several vp brushes edge on so a Y would be a left triangle and a right triangle overlapping the roofs and a rectangle in the street

\|/
|

Johannes, these look great!

Btw, if you ever want to change a func_static combined from several world_spawn brushes/patches, select it, then press "TAB" to cycle through the parts, each part can then be resized/moved etc.

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

another question:

the pictures at the beg. of th thread show the 'problempart'...

complex visportaling isnt possible and so i want to pimp the performance in another way:

in the picture you see a example for an abstraction of a part of framework...

post-3575-129526016824_thumb.png

in my opinion is the best way to simplyfie the rendering in this way:

-the two beams to func_static that the wall isnt cut to extra tris

-caulc the beams on all nonseen sides even if they are inside another brush

is this thinking right?...or

Are there aditional options of pimp perf. at this example?

And another one: is there a noticeable perf.increase / degrease if I scale textures?

ohhh, by the way another firsttry watchtower screen

post-3575-129527532196_thumb.jpg

another question:

the pictures at the beg. of th thread show the 'problempart'...

complex visportaling isnt possible and so i want to pimp the performance in another way:

in the picture you see a example for an abstraction of a part of framework...

post-3575-129526016824_thumb.png

in my opinion is the best way to simplyfie the rendering in this way:

-the two beams to func_static that the wall isnt cut to extra tris

-caulc the beams on all nonseen sides even if they are inside another brush

is this thinking right?...or

Yep, that is basically it.

Are there aditional options of pimp perf. at this example?

Not for this example. (Make sure you combine these two beams into one func_static, not two!)

And another one: is there a noticeable perf.increase / degrease if I scale textures?

No, the GPU always scales textures, even if the factor is 1.0, so you get no difference at all.

ohhh, by the way another firsttry watchtower screen

post-3575-129527532196_thumb.jpg

Very nice, but the rounded support beams look a bit strange, I would have expected 45° pieces.

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

I actually like the rounded beams. The whole thing looks a bit wobbly/unstable which makes it look older.

Not really sure what you're getting at with the beams in the wall. If faces will be unseen and the brushes are func_statics they won't be culled.

But you can apply caulk texture, which is just manually culling them (no reason to render if they can't be seen, but a few extra faces shouldn't kill perf either).

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest

Yep, that is basically it.

"Not for this example. (Make sure you combine these two beams into one func_static, not two!)"

What exactly is the problem to create two func_static insted of one ? renderingspeed or compilationtime ?

What exactly is the problem to create two func_static insted of one ? renderingspeed or compilationtime ?

Wastes a tiny bit of memory (two entities instead of one) and rendering speed - the GPU does one pass for each material for each light for each entity. So if you have 2 lights shining onto two func_statics with one materials each, you get 2 * 2 * 1 = 4 drawcalls 4(passes). With both in one func_static, you get 2 * 1 * 1 = 2 drawcalls. So this saves you 2 drawcalls to draw essentially the same amount of triangles. The more lighs shine onto it, the worse multiple entities get.

But don''t combine everything into one entity - things that cross visportals aren't good (because they are visible in both rooms at once, so cannot get culled that good). Basically combine the beams from one house, and the beams from the other house into two func_statics.