The Dark Mod Forums

Johannes' box

Johannes Burock

nice idear...but with the 6950 i cant disable this...have a look also here http://forums.amd.co...threadid=145090 .

Must be Windows 7 and the new and improved Catalyst. I have the same problem. (HD5770, Win7/64)

Niels, how do I make an application profile? Also, does this method you described above really work?

Edited by 7upMan

My Eigenvalue is bigger than your Eigenvalue.

## If it is you could still change it by editing your profiles.xml found at "\Users\'YourUserName'\AppData\Local\ATI\ACE\Profiles.xml"
## Under the heading <Aspect name="Radeon3D"> needs to be an entry :-
## Code:

<Feature name="CatalystAI"> 
<Property name="CatalystAI" value="Disable" />
</Feature>

Have you tried either creating an Application Profile or the above workaround...? :unsure:

also tryed this...

opened, changed to Disable, save...

open again, yes it was changed and saved...

starting dm, open my map...the problem is still there...close dm

open xml again and the he changed it now automaticaly back to enable...

argh

and how to create applprof ?

Edited by Johannes Burock

Must be Windows 7 and the new and improved Catalyst. I have the same problem. (HD5770, Win7/64)

Niels, how do I make an application profile? Also, does this method you described above really work?

win7 64 bit...HD 6950 catalyst 11.2 there isnt any option for this...a friend has also an older one he allso can change it...his menu looks completly different to mine in catalyst

You may need to kill CCC (Catalyst Control Center) before trying this change (or make the change in Safemode)?

Several Doom3world folk have reported success with this method...?

As far as profile creation goes, I'm afraid that I'm a bit behind the times. Here are the current Rage3d.com topics that address this:

http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?t=33961798

http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?t=33963638

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

Johannes, not long ago ATI released its first preview of the new and improved CCC which now looks like the one we have. Seems like this is the new standard now. The old CCC is still reserved for WinXP users. If there is a method to obtain the "old" CCC, I don't know of it.

Wait, there might be a way: If you install the Display Driver only (without the CCC) and use ATItools, you could be lucky. However, I haven't tried it yet.

Johannes, not long ago ATI released its first preview of the new and improved CCC which now looks like the one we have. Seems like this is the new standard now. The old CCC is still reserved for WinXP users. If there is a method to obtain the "old" CCC, I don't know of it.

Wait, there might be a way: If you install the Display Driver only (without the CCC) and use ATItools, you could be lucky. However, I haven't tried it yet.

Not sure if this is what you meant, but take a looksie:

http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/windows/previous/Pages/radeonaiw_vista64.aspx

when i look around in other forums there isnt any way to deactivate the catalyst ia in the 6000 series...mad.gif

one of them asked directly via phone and nope no way...

if somebody have a 6000 series and havnt this problem please give a tip how to fix that...

Oh boy, somebody please tell me, when does AMD actually do something right? :D In my long PC experience, I only had one ATI card, and well, you guessed right: It was flawed. Those guys simple cannot write decent drivers (proove above). The only thing nvidia ever did "wrong" on my side, was that their hardware resolution upscaling interpolation didn't work as intended, but this was easily fixed.

Just sell that rag and get yourself a cheap gtx 460 or something older, if you want to save some money.

Not sure if this is what you meant, but take a looksie:

http://support.amd.c...iw_vista64.aspx

I'm afraid that to play TDM on Win7 there is no way but to revert to Catalyst 10.11, which is the last one with the old layout and controls. This sucks, but if that's necessary, I'll do it. It's just a pity that this is no alternative for HD6k users. dry.gif

Back to the topic of Johannes' beautyful work :)

I got a preview map from him and work on improving the performance of it (it is already quite fast, but you can never be fast enough :)

One thing that hit my eye was our fence models. They come only in pieces of a single bar, two bars and four bars. That means that mappers need to string a lot of func_statics together for a decent sized fence. Johannes f.i. has 22 models just for 3 medium and one small fence. Ouch!

So I looked in improving the models by making bigger variants. However, our existing fence model is an LWO, which I cannot edit. Plus, the "fence_pattern" material it uses got issues, it is all black - e.g. does not quite fit the existing material, and looks horrible out of place if skinned. Also, we didn't have any skins.

So in the end I used brushes and patches, and created new textures and then exported the models from DR with the ASE exporter (I'd like to request a new, even more smaller grid size and a new zoom level at this point, as 0.125 is sometimes a bit too coarse, esp. if you want to match existing models. Anyway, back to the topic:)

Here is the result, the left the original model, with its two new skins (tdm_fence_rusted, and tdm_fence_rusted_light). The next three models are the new one, you can see they look much better, esp. when skinned:

post-144-129881585363_thumb.jpg

Even in game under dark ingame lighting you can see the difference (plus the old texture did have some aliasing on the edges, which looks bad, too):

post-144-129881624037_thumb.jpg

My new "2 bars" version has 64 polies, whereas the original has only 54. I don't know exactly why, but I don't think this will make a difference, because A: it looks better, anyway, and once you move beyond that, you really save polies in addition to entities:

original          new
1 x 2 piece      1 x 54 =  54      64
2 x 2 piece      2 x 54 = 108      92
4 x 2 piece      4 x 54 = 216      148
6 x 2 piece      6 x 54 = 324      204

So if Johannes replaces 6 old models with the new 6-times model, he saves 5 entities, and 120 tris. Plus, the new model is drawn in 2 drawcalls, the old needed 6 * 2 = 12 drawcalls.

That should make some difference if you have a lot of these fencings in your map.

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

After more and more pics of Scyrim came out i have to go along with some new pics^^

And because they are very big (for detail) have a look at this an the next 3 posts...

post-3575-129901838279_thumb.jpg

Fantastic, :wub: the only minor nit I'd have is that the cracks on the floor would have been filled with dust long ago, so they shouldn't be that deep.

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

Those stairs looks fantastic, but how easy do Ai and the player climb up them..?

I thought about the same thing.

Maybe placing nodrawsolid brushes will help? But placing them must be really accurate so that the AI do not float above the bumpy steps. And if the nodrawsolid brush sinks into the stair, it is of no use.

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

Fantastic, :wub: the only minor nit I'd have is that the cracks on the floor would have been filled with dust long ago, so they shouldn't be that deep.

thats right...now i have the old brush under the stones and a higher one with a decal-dirt... now there are flat stones, cracks with sand/earth and dust in it and a bit higher stones to make the floor more uneven.

and thats the pic:

post-3575-129907388283_thumb.jpg