The Dark Mod Forums

Johannes' box

Johannes Burock

ahhh, my mistake...

the big-town project was only a first idea...

7upMan joined to the "team" of my fanmission (from the screenshots...) to do some story and voice work there...

i or now we dont need help for ending this...but if somebody can help (because of no other project or to much freetime) it could be better or faster finished...

but thanks sh for the offer...but if u want to help here as well...

because most of you are hungry for new fm´a, i only would like to say that my map is going on

but the food has to be prepared...XD

post-3575-130247222214_thumb.jpg

and this is a long and bloody work^^

LOL I really need to make you some other grass/weed model, because that one is.. uneatable ;)

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

LOL I really need to make you some other grass/weed model, because that one is.. uneatable ;)

LOL I'm all for the weed part! ^_^

My Eigenvalue is bigger than your Eigenvalue.

• 1 month later...

little trigger problem:

is it possible to trigger one sound of a list randomly? for example triggering randomly one barking sound of 5 implemented ?

Well yes, but it isn't a 'trigger' problem. It is a soundshader thingy.

You make a single soundshader with multiple audiofiles on it.

Then you make an ordinary speaker with that single soundshader as its sound. Then you trigger it.

The speaker should choose randomly the sound among the audiofiles listed.

The soundshader entry looks like this (taken from Transaction)

transaction_torturer_generic_torture
{
	description ""
minDistance 	1
maxDistance 	25
volume	9
	sound/sfx/transaction/transaction_torturer_generic1.ogg
	sound/sfx/transaction/transaction_torturer_generic2.ogg
	sound/sfx/transaction/transaction_torturer_generic3.ogg
	sound/sfx/transaction/transaction_torturer_generic4.ogg
}

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

Welp - I can't help with any teething problems - but what I can do is shower praise on these screenshots and say that I'm really looking forward to playing this ambitious looking FM, when it's ready. =-3

"No proposition Euclid wrote,

No formulae the text-books know,

Will turn the bullet from your coat,

Or ward the tulwar's downward blow

Strike hard who cares—shoot straight who can—

The odds are on the cheaper man."

From 'Arithmetic on the Frontier' by Rudyard Kipling

We did the story (FM and overarching both) together, with me fleshing out what we agreed on. Also, I've recorded some voice clips, which showed me what a huge effort NHAT was. Kudos to the mapper!

As for the ETA, there's a lot of work to do. Not only the maps are not finished, but the storytelling heavily relies on voice clips, and work (English and German both) has not even begun yet. You don't happen to consider yourself an undiscovered (German) voice artist talent? ^_^

Yes it does. Audacity is the way to go to un-screw even bad recordings, although I'm certainly no expert on audio recording. I tried noise removal yesterday, and it worked like a charm. I also have a headset mic (Speedlink Medusa 5.1), which is far from studio equipment.

Edited by 7upMan

and now the official title and missionscreen for the upcoming fm:

Looks super cool!

thanks sotha, the sound shader is finnished...where should i save it ? in the mapsfolder with the map name or in a new "sound" folder ? tested both but didnt work...

In your darkmod folder you should have folder

sound

Put your mapname.sndshd (the file that contains the soundshader definitions) in that folder.

When you restart DR, you should see the sound shader name ("transaction_torturer_generic_torture" in my example) in the speaker choose sound dialogue.

If you have some custom sound .ogg files, that the soundshader points to, you should put them in

darkmod/sound/sfx/mapname/

and refer to them in the soundshader file like seen in my example.

OR if you want to use TDM asset sounds, you could just find their location in the zip-files and point there.

Like this:

transaction_lady_where_could_he_be
{
	description ""
minDistance 	1
maxDistance 	25
volume	9
sound/voices/lady02/tdm_ai_lady_searching_no_evidence05.ogg
}

With that it should just work. You might need to go ingame and check that the min and maxdistances and the volume are okay.

I hope this helps!

Clipper

Looks super cool!

In your darkmod folder you should have folder

sound

Put your mapname.sndshd (the file that contains the soundshader definitions) in that folder.

When you restart DR, you should see the sound shader name ("transaction_torturer_generic_torture" in my example) in the speaker choose sound dialogue.

If you have some custom sound .ogg files, that the soundshader points to, you should put them in

darkmod/sound/sfx/mapname/

and refer to them in the soundshader file like seen in my example.

OR if you want to use TDM asset sounds, you could just find their location in the zip-files and point there.

Like this:

transaction_lady_where_could_he_be
{
	description ""
minDistance 	1
maxDistance 	25
volume	9
sound/voices/lady02/tdm_ai_lady_searching_no_evidence05.ogg
}

With that it should just work. You might need to go ingame and check that the min and maxdistances and the volume are okay.

I hope this helps!

yes, thanks, now it works. didnt do anything in another way but today i can choose it...maybe i was a little bit tired yesterday^^

missionscreen for the upcoming fm

Looks very T3-ish, this in a fantastic way :wub:

Dual language voice-clips? You guys are really ambitious... splendid!!

"To rush is without doubt the most important enemy of joy" ~ Thieves Saying

got the next prob with the sound....

i created the soundshader like sotha described. in DR i see this one and when i choose it i also can see all implemented sounds ( i alsoo can play all of them). So the shader work how it should do.

But ingame there is only a short ping instead of the sounds.

EDIT: the console says that in line 7 of my shader is a unknown token...but i used same syntax like sotha described...and in the DRE it works ???

ok, after a new run all runs fine. changed in shader:

sound/...../xxx.

ogg

to

sound/..../xxx.ogg

normaly this doesnt make a difference !? is this a diff in the soundshader ?

Edited by Johannes Burock

ok, after a new run all runs fine. changed in shader:

sound/...../xxx.

ogg

to

sound/..../xxx.ogg

normaly this doesnt make a difference !? is this a diff in the soundshader ?

Argh, it is this stupid forum code tag, broke the lines. The lines should be intact, of course. :wacko:

Most likely TDM saw first ordinary sound reference (should work without file suffix) and then it was thinking that WTF is 'ogg'?

Clipper

Argh, it is this stupid forum code tag, broke the lines. The lines should be intact, of course. :wacko:

Most likely TDM saw first ordinary sound reference (should work without file suffix) and then it was thinking that WTF is 'ogg'?

ok, know the problem, but most programs read over the line break (fe C#). Is this in TDM, so C++, not the way to go?

now some problems with dialogs...

want to create a scene with dialogs and some movement...what is better for this a script or the editor or using paths ?

when i use a path anim the animation wouldnt renderd, i only have to give angle and anim spawnarg (?)

and where can i find this way of walking:

1:14 ?