The Dark Mod Forums

Contest Survey

nbohr1more

WINNING THEME = "Seasons"

(Details to follow shortly).

It seems that this contest idea will never leave the launch-pad without something to decide amongst the various preferences.

I will still register my opinion that a TDM 1.0x features contest is the best way to promote the mod and I'm almost hesitant to get this going until v1.04 is completed with working LOD and (hopefully?) the new LODE\SEED system which would make for a VERY interesting contest.

I mostly copied Sotha's survey of the other contest thread (thanks Sotha).

So get to voting!

(I have a feeling there will be no clear victor :laugh: ).

Edit:

The final contestants are in. Please vote again for your favorite.

:)

Edited by nbohr1more

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, each person will vote, we'll narrow it down to three-four and vote again. I'm pretty sure I like more than one of these contest ideas.

(Voting for ones least likely to yield "OMFG I FOUNDZ A BUG HERE FIX IT NAOW!") :P

yay seuss crease touss dome in ouss nose tair

In that case we'll have a v1.0 "fixed" features contest.

Best use of the Mouse Wheel for weapon selection.

Best use Norman Shield without texture issues.

Best use of Pickpocketed physics for dropped items.

:wub:

Best usage of ambient sounds/Snow/Sunlight contest/Horizontal mission

Water/puzzle/movie

The Chain Project/Seasons/physics/Wait till after v1.04 (I think it will be soon - or not??)

Very good survey - a bit strange fragmentation, but it has all the options I like ;)

Good job nbohr1more!!

Edited by Berny

Put me down for daytime missions. You would be surprised how well they actually work! One of my all-time favorite missions was Circle of Strain 2 for T1, which is a daytime mission. I also started playing "Meuan's Method" for T2. It is great! It is a small mansion heist, but since the level is set in the daytime, you need to hide behind arches to sneak inside and then avoid being next to those translucent windows to the outside. Even if you turn off the lights inside the house, the sunlight still spills in from the window and it can give you away.

Edited by lost_soul

--- War does not decide who is right, war decides who is left.

Outch, so many votes for snow. That's bound to end up boring the players when dozens of FMs have the same graphical theme... But that's just my opinion. :)

I was reluctant to vote snow, but I gave in as I feel designers would be forced to be creative because of (rather than in spite of) how easy it might be to slap some snow into any old FM. You'd want the FM to stand out somehow, so couldn't rely on the theme to do this. For example, I could imagine a Shackleton-esque story about a ship carrying gold getting stuck in a frozen sea during a harsh winter. You decide to risk the cold to plunder the ship, whilst avoiding the crew who aren't about to leave all that gold lying around.

I had another idea for a contest that might produce some interesting results. A countdown contest, where every mission must be completed within say, 30 minutes, else it's a mission failure. It's up to the designer to come up with a story as to why this is the case (is someone about to be hanged in the town square?). Keeping the time relatively short as with 30 min would be perfect for ensuring designers don't embark on anything overly ambitious, and during contest time with all the FMs that are released in one go, shorter FMs wouldn't be a bad thing.

I had another idea for a contest that might produce some interesting results. A countdown contest, where every mission must be completed within say, 30 minutes, else it's a mission failure. It's up to the designer to come up with a story as to why this is the case (is someone about to be hanged in the town square?). Keeping the time relatively short as with 30 min would be perfect for ensuring designers don't embark on anything overly ambitious, and during contest time with all the FMs that are released in one go, shorter FMs wouldn't be a bad thing.

oh no,timed mission is my worst dream !

Proceed with caution!

Good to have the survey...

nbohr also interested in managing the contest itself?

When the results are in I will coordinate with Fidcal as he has traditionally defined the specifics. If that isn't agreeable we can keep voting until all the minutia are spelled out :laugh: Once this is done I will throw down the gantlet at Moddb. :)

Edited by nbohr1more

Didn't have my option on the list; set in a movie or story.

But second to that is the Dark Secret or Ambient Sound one, something with a lot of atmosphere.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

I figured "Movie Land" was close enough to that where the two ideas could be merged. Missions should have good story elements and most of the contest themes do not prohibit the idea of basing the mission within a story or movie.

I will consider that a write-in vote. If I see more requests I will calculate them against the above options.

:)

Outch, so many votes for snow. That's bound to end up boring the players when dozens of FMs have the same graphical theme... But that's just my opinion. :)

I am not planning to enter a contest right now, but a Four Seasons theme could work: choose a specific season, represent its mood in an FM. It could be snowy, it could be full of fallen leaves (like Autumn in Lampfire Hills), fresh like spring or hot like the Summer.

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

@Mr Lemon:

Please post your alternative. This is not set in stone yet and all I did was grab Sotha's approximation of the previous thread. If you have a compelling idea and folks want it added we will have another run-off vote for the omitted stuff.

^_^