The Dark Mod Forums

QuArK-like grid for darkradiant

radon

It's possible, but I haven't looked into that at all so far. I guess this is something a new contributor like radon could easily handle.

What say you Radon..?

I logged a bug tracker for my request - http://bugs.angua.at/view.php?id=2132

Here is a screenshot of what I am refering too... (the blue grid in the camera view)

stedgarsexternal.jpg

I'm sure it can be made an option in the preferences, and it looks like a worthy addition to me. If you open an entry on the bugtracker and attach that .diff file I can look into it.

That was the idea. Dots were easy, but I can't grok the preferences system. Positive feedback sure helps me concentrate :-)

It's possible, but I haven't looked into that at all so far. I guess this is something a new contributor like radon could easily handle.

I'm afraid not, I don't know first thing about 3D geometry, OpenGL or even GTK. I've just kicked some existing code to different shape.

Edited by radon

I've hacked one tiny feature I'm missing in darkradiant - grid lines made of dots. See "before" and "after" screenshots to get an idea. Anyone interested in pushing it upstream?

That looks good to me, exept that I'd add a dot in between each dot, right now the "before" means brushes are almost impossible to see, "after" looks like the grid is almost impossible to see.

E.g.

Make it not so:

. . . . . .

. . . . . .

. . . . . .

. . . . . .

But so:

. . . . . .
. . . . . .
. . . . . .

ASCII art is only a crude representation :)

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

That looks good to me, exept that I'd add a dot in between each dot, right now the "before" means brushes are almost impossible to see, "after" looks like the grid is almost impossible to see.

Exactly. It worked great in good ol' QuArK days of lower resolution, but today pixels are just too damn small. I was thinking about little crosses (barely visible, think of bigger dots) to give stronger visible cue yet avoiding cluttering lines. But whole thing is rendered and scaled via oGL, without way to address screen pixels. I have no idea how this 3D stuff is supposed to work, but apparently it's not addressable in a linear way. Small lines get distorted - see the screenshot. If any present 3D guru can point me in right direction, I'd be glad. Otherwise, your "dotted lines" idea does not involve munching through GL specs, so it's my next shoot :-)

post-4743-129573284537_thumb.png

Exactly. It worked great in good ol' QuArK days of lower resolution, but today pixels are just too damn small.

Yeah, sp. with highresolution monitors :)

As for the crosses, that looks like antialiasing or mipmapping spoiling the result... Can't help you there, OpenGL is not my strong side.

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

Here we go. On plus side, minor grid is a lot better visible. On minus side, I can not see major grid at all.

Looks better, can you try changing the color for the minor grid to be lighter, and the major grid a bit darker?

Looks better, can you try changing the color for the minor grid to be lighter, and the major grid a bit darker?

Trust me, I've tried. Actually, major grid is full black and minor is halfway grey, but it doesn't get any better even with major full red. There is no space for color information that my eyes could sense. It gets a little better on CRT monitor, but hey, who has one of those nowadays…

Trust me, I've tried. Actually, major grid is full black and minor is halfway grey, but it doesn't get any better even with major full red. There is no space for color information that my eyes could sense. It gets a little better on CRT monitor, but hey, who has one of those nowadays…

Yeah, LCD is the way. So, hm, any chance on doubling the point density on the major grid?

Personally, I never really used or noticed the major/minor grid thingy, probably because both lines are too small on my LCD anyway. But it might be useful to have it, anyway.

looking good Radon, now how will we get/import this feature..?

I will post patch to the bugtracker as soon as I manage to make it configurable. So far, I'm very good at making segfaults :-( If you don't mind compiling your own radiant, I can throw in a patch.

There is indeed no antialiasing in the 2D view (or any other GL view actually), so ugly artifacts are quite likely with small objects. You could look at using glPointSize() and/or GL_POINT_SMOOTH:

http://www.opengl.org/sdk/docs/man/xhtml/glPointSize.xml

Although I've never used any of these, they might do something useful in this instance, assuming that you are drawing using GL_POINTS.

There is indeed no antialiasing in the 2D view (or any other GL view actually), so ugly artifacts are quite likely with small objects. You could look at using glPointSize() and/or GL_POINT_SMOOTH:

http://www.opengl.or...glPointSize.xml

Although I've never used any of these, they might do something useful in this instance, assuming that you are drawing using GL_POINTS.

Thanks a lot, that's exactly what I was looking for. Expect improved patch soon.

I had been looking at putting in antialiased ortho lines (since you can force them with drivers, and they look quite nice). Another thing I was playing with was that of textured-ortho, which is surprisingly useful. Since I then managed to break .net framework and cant be arsed reinstalling windows, I'm currently performing some necormancy to get DR all happy with mingw gcc4.5 and code::blocks again, so maybe some day :)

I had been looking at putting in antialiased ortho lines (since you can force them with drivers, and they look quite nice).

Good luck getting that to work on anything other than Windows/nVidia though. It's the sort of thing that is incredible driver and platform-specific.

I believe the "robust" way to perform anti-aliasing these days is with FBOs, either by rendering to a viewport that is 4x larger than required and then scaling down with filtering, or by rendering the scene a few times using half-pixel jitter offsets. Neither of these would do anything to improve the already-dire performance of the DR renderer.