The Dark Mod Forums

QuArK-like grid for darkradiant

radon

Well, all I wanted is pretty much done. So my biggest question right now is - what else should be done with that particular piece of code, while I'm having my hands on it? Few things that pop to my mind:

1. Add color selector to grid configuration dialog. "Lines" grid (which is default) needs light, nondistracting color, easily distinguishable from polys. All other grid methods do better with more contrasting colors, having proper color selector right there would be handy.
  2. Magic numbers can be made configurable. Size of dots, density of dotted lines etc. I'd call that overkill, may somebody find it useful?
  3. Ability to shift grid around. One may need to design larger piece of map at (mostly) certain size (to have textures aligned) but not exactly at default grid points.
  4. Drop the current grid rendering entirely and use user-selected bitmap instead. Customizing grid would then be matter of drawing a cross in bitmap editor.
  5. Ability to rotate grid or canvas. As of now, creating anything not aligned to major axis is either pre-made model or pain in the ass.

Interesting ideas.

[*]Add color selector to grid configuration dialog. "Lines" grid (which is default) needs light, nondistracting color, easily distinguishable from polys. All other grid methods do better with more contrasting colors, having proper color selector right there would be handy.

The colours used for the grid should be configurable in the Colours configuration dialog, and the existing colour themes certainly do change the grid colours. Are there some grid colours that are not currently exposed in the Colours dialog?

[*]Magic numbers can be made configurable. Size of dots, density of dotted lines etc. I'd call that overkill, may somebody find it useful?

Indeed, but that could go in a configuration file if not the main GUI. However I would not suggest spending time on this unless it actually becomes necessary (i.e. people actually ask for it), no point making things configurable just for the sake of it.

[*]Ability to shift grid around. One may need to design larger piece of map at (mostly) certain size (to have textures aligned) but not exactly at default grid points.

[*]Ability to rotate grid or canvas. As of now, creating anything not aligned to major axis is either pre-made model or pain in the ass.

There could be use for this I suppose, but bear in mind that the grid does reflect the underlying coordinate basis of the map, and level geometry does generally need to be aligned with it; it is not purely arbitrary. There might be scope for having customisable "user grids" as long as they are distinguished from the absolute coordinate grid.

[*]Drop the current grid rendering entirely and use user-selected bitmap instead. Customizing grid would then be matter of drawing a cross in bitmap editor.

That definitely would be overkill in my opinion, and could cause performance issues during rendering due to the large number of images used (instead of points which should be very cheap to draw). The purpose of DarkRadiant after all is to design levels, not to draw fancy grids :)

The colours used for the grid should be configurable in the Colours configuration dialog, and the existing colour themes certainly do change the grid colours. Are there some grid colours that are not currently exposed in the Colours dialog?

No, my point is that Colors dialog itself is not exactly "exposed". In fact, it took me a while to find it. While testing various grid styles, I noticed that color play as big part of the game as the grid style itself (surprise :-) and I had to change it quite often with changing grid style. The two are linked, yet navigating to different modal panel in another menu branch is not exactly handy. I'm not thinking of moving those color choosers completely, just some kind of shortcut.

Indeed, but that could go in a configuration file if not the main GUI. However I would not suggest spending time on this unless it actually becomes necessary (i.e. people actually ask for it), no point making things configurable just for the sake of it.

That's exactly why I made no move there yet - and why I ask. "Spending time" is not an issue, creating integer option turned to be easy once I get hang of it. Creating incomprehensible clutter is not any harder, I know that much. OTOH I may not chosen best magic numbers. For all I know, they may even be hardware dependent. They sure are taste dependent. I like it the way it is, but If somebody wants to play around, it can be done.

There could be use for this I suppose, but bear in mind that the grid does reflect the underlying coordinate basis of the map, and level geometry does generally need to be aligned with it; it is not purely arbitrary. There might be scope for having customisable "user grids" as long as they are distinguished from the absolute coordinate grid.

Shifting along axes would still respect grid, only smaller/denser then visible one. Rotating is just a wild idea, I sure as hell am not able to code it.

That definitely would be overkill in my opinion, and could cause performance issues during rendering due to the large number of images used (instead of points which should be very cheap to draw).

I can't believe any graphic card capable of running tech4 may have performance issues with what is basicaly blitting few copies of 2D sprite. Damn, even tech1 age hardware could do that without much sweat. DCK editor sure did it.

The purpose of DarkRadiant after all is to design levels, not to draw fancy grids :)

Yeah it's kind of silly, but I like to excercise my rusty C++ skills and with zero knowledge of 3D, there is probably not much else I can help with. Think of it this way - its the tiny part of UI, but one you spend a lot of time looking at. Feeling comfortable can't hurt here.

• 3 weeks later...

Yes, in whatever number the next public release is carrying (either 1.5.1 for critical bugfix releases, or 1.6.0 if no critical things are cropping up). It will be a little while though, I have one or two larger things on the roadmap for 1.6.0.