The Dark Mod Forums

Need a musician?

DarkDisguise

For the basic mood covering. Music and audio, depends on what needs to be improved since it's already released =)

I haven't played it yet, but I was just up over my shoulders inspired. If there's a game worthy of remaking, it's the thief series.

If you may happen to need music, I might be your man, until next time.

Have a nice day!

/Hampus Granberg

Don't take this as "official", but I don't think we are looking to add more ambient music to the core mod (it's big enough already). However, I am sure there is no shortage of individual mappers who would benefit from using custom music in their campaigns. My advice would be to post examples of your work and take requests from mappers when they have a need.

Don't take this as "official", but I don't think we are looking to add more ambient music to the core mod (it's big enough already). However, I am sure there is no shortage of individual mappers who would benefit from using custom music in their campaigns. My advice would be to post examples of your work and take requests from mappers when they have a need.

Ok, reasonable :) Well, if you change your mind, just ask again.

hampus_granberg@hotmail.com, that's my e-mail.

We can always use new ambient music. I was looking for something different the other day.

If you upload zip files somewhere with info files and post on the contributions thread I can make them available. Thanks. :)

http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/10651-submissions-of-any-kind-prefabs-fms-textures-models-and-any-other-help/

Don't take this as "official", but I don't think we are looking to add more ambient music to the core mod (it's big enough already).

The thing is Orbs, a lot of tracks are just the same track speeded up or slowed down. Now while I bow down Waynes World stylee to the person who did the music, half the ambient music isnt applicable.

What we need more of is looping ambients what only have 1-3 instruments that don't intrude upon the atmosphere of the mission. A good example of what I am referring to is Melan's excellent choice of ambients in rttc and as a result I know will use the same choices.

We can always use new ambient music. I was looking for something different the other day.

See above, but on this note who was making a website for people to upload stuff for mappers to use - sorta like a mappers resource..?

Edited by Bikerdude

The thing is Orbs, a lot of tracks are just the same track speeded up or slowed down. Now while I bow down Waynes World stylee to the person who did the music, half the ambient music isnt applicable.

What we need more of is looping ambients what only have 1-3 instruments that don't intrude upon the atmosphere of the mission. A good example of what I am referring to is Melan's excellent choice of ambients in rttc and as a result I know will use the same choices.

I agree, some of the music is great, but just "not ambient enough". I.e. it has too much dynamic range or variation, or features attention-grabbing elements that would be perfect for a movie soundtrack but are too intrusive for background music.

My point however is that if we add all the ambients that anybody could possibly want to the core mod, it would become huge. Unlike for example textures or models, which can be assessed for realism and accuracy, music is entirely subjective by its very nature and the result is that any given mapper is unlikely to find many music tracks he likes without a massive pool to choose from.

On the other hand, if there are some ambients that nobody is using because they simply aren't appropriate, we should probably phase them out and consider replacing them with more popular offerings.

See above, but on this note who was making a website for people to upload stuff for mappers to use - sorta like a mappers resource..?

Now this would be a good solution to the problem. There would be no limits or concerns about mod size, because mappers would just take what they needed.

As Bikerdude wrote, I think TDM could benefit from more simple loops. I'd particularly be interested in the following themes:

- weird warbles like in Thief's Constantine/Pagan-themed levels... like the strange giggles, the dissonant chimes, growls and general weirdness;

- "empty", "cold" sounds like used in the Bonehoard... suggesting depths, distance and subterranean spaces;

- "mechanical" beats, the industrial sort of thing that worked so well in TDP/TMA.

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

http://www.thief-the...om/media/music/

http://www.ttlg.com/...t=106052&page=4

My favorites from T1/2 have been Assassins, The Sword, Escape, Shipping and Receiving, Framed, First City Bank and Blackmail (parts of which are reused in several missions), and Trail of Blood. TDP's Lost City mission and soundtrack is a good example of mainly purely environmental sounds being used like magma, waterfalls, wind, rumbling, etc. with a bit of haunting in there. Track 4 of the TDP soundtrack contains the Horn of Quintus music Fidcal mentioned.

There's also some good stuff in the T2X, Mission X and Hammerite Imperium ("Unguarded Reliquary") soundtracks (especially waterlp.wav from Hammerite Imperium, which isn't in the soundtrack). The music in Deadly Shadows is probably it's saving grace. I can't seem to find it on hand but I remember the Seaside Manor music as being particularly good.

If you've ever opened the Thief2\RES\snd.crf (~330 MB!), you'll notice that a lot of the music from the game is composed not of actual tracks but primarily of small sound loops ranging anywhere from 5s to 1m. These elements are obviously reusable so that's why for example T2's "Precious Cargo" track and "Sabotage at Soulforge" have some of the same sounds in them.

In "snd.crf\SFX" see:

swells2.wav

m04ring.wav

s01mel1.wav

lowtrem.wav

amb_low4.wav

voicel1.wav

basement.wav

windele5.wav

RUMBLE2.wav

m01tone6.wav

m01tone4.wav

voxloop2.wav

m01tone1.wav

FB1.wav

THROBLO.wav

...among countless others.

"snd.crf\MiscVOs\english" contains some longer stuff like:

m10sadQS.wav

swells1.wav

s0401.wav - s0407end.wav

Edited by jaxa

I see your point. Being an artist has it's inspiration that won't fit the same expectations people are after, not all the time atleast.

It's hard to compare it to any other esthetic genre, but it's the building sensation of climax, like trying to halt a train on it's way into the station.

You really want to reach the goal, but you know that if it does, it'll still be something entirely different.

Of course, I'm not refering ambient to a pointless destination, but it is endless.

If you want good ambience, it has to be sufficient, but also satisfying in itself.

It's a hard line to walk.

Still, what would a game be without the music? And vice versa.

Thank you guys for the respons.

I'll try to check out the forum, and I'll leave you with some tracks from my myspace aswell.

http://www.myspace.com/darkdisguisemusic

Note that I like music in many forms, still, it's always a fun challange to create ambience, since it's both hard, but also very inspiring.

I've recently uploaded an ambient song called "Night Walker", and I think it's still in the process, but it'll come forth shortly.

Have a nice day everyone, see you around.

Heh! Really like your music, listening to "Ode to her" atm. Is it possible to get your songs via CD? Or download them? myspace is soo slow and megaupload says "temp. out of order".

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

Heh! Really like your music, listening to "Ode to her" atm. Is it possible to get your songs via CD? Or download them? myspace is soo slow and megaupload says "temp. out of order".

Wow thank you =).

Well, not via myspace, they have a very limited amount of space.

I don't know of any other uploading site.

http://www.filefactory.com/f/3dbee1a43e3734f9/

This one might help, hopefully.

Wow thank you =).

Well, not via myspace, they have a very limited amount of space.

I don't know of any other uploading site.

http://www.filefactory.com/f/3dbee1a43e3734f9/

This one might help, hopefully.

Hm, yeah WAV is good for our source repository, but just to listen to it I'd prefer something like mp3 or ogg (e.g. compressed). 30 Mbyte download is a bit big :)

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

It works for me. You have to go through the usual "find the non-premium link, enter the captcha and wait 30 seconds" thing like with most file-sharing sites though. I guess it might fail if you have JavaScript turned off.

DarkDisguise, have you considered using a music-centered sharing site like SoundCloud? I think you get 2 hours of music for the free account.

It works for me. You have to go through the usual "find the non-premium link, enter the captcha and wait 30 seconds" thing like with most file-sharing sites though. I guess it might fail if you have Javascript turned off.

DarkDisguise, have you considered using a music-centered sharing site like SoundCloud? I think you get 2 hours of music for the free account.

Sorry, double posting here from the other thread.

Thanks for the tip, it's done now!

http://soundcloud.com/dark-disguise.

Here it is, this site should work better, hopefully.

It's a music site, but you'll be able to download every track.

There's Wav. formats bigger than the others, and there's ogg., the smaller ones.

So far it's only Cold, Cold Heart, but I'll come around soon.

See you!

It's good, very atmospheric and manages to keep to the "ambient" vibe without becoming too attention-grabbing. I could see this working well as an in-game ambient, although I would suggest the following:

1. It will not loop seamlessly as currently recorded, because of the fade-out at the end. Ambients MAY have a fade-in or intro section at the beginning (there is a special sound shader keyword in Doom 3 for this), but then they SHOULD enter a continuously-looped section without any "ending" or obvious loop boundary.

2. In order to keep the size down, I would probably try to keep the length of looping ambients under 60 seconds or so, rather than 3 minutes. I think the elements of this track would compress down quite well into a sub-60-second loop, for example if the left and right "delayed bell" sounds started almost immediately.

I like your music. I personally think it fits very good into TDM - I like the beginning of "Try Again Tomorrow" - "Fate Decided Feat. Fra" would be nice for a sad short movie sequence! Ans "Platform Ride Under suspicion Version" sounds like that you (The thief) just found out that he got betrayed in his whole life!

I like your stuff... in all of them I here a story ;)