DarkRadiant 1.5.0 available

greebo

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Does it happen with all materials or just that one? What graphics card do you have and what driver version?

There was a bug with older Radeon's (1xxx) which would lose perspective correct texturing (looks like it's happening there). About all that comes to mind.

When it happens it affects all textures.

HARDWARE:

Primary Adapter

Graphics Card Manufacturer Powered by ATI

Graphics Chipset ATI Radeon HD 4800 Series

Device ID 9442

Vendor 1002

Subsystem ID 0502

Subsystem Vendor ID 1028

Graphics Bus Capability PCI Express 2.0

Maximum Bus Setting PCI Express 2.0 x16

BIOS Version 011.013.000.001

BIOS Part Number 113-B50107-101

BIOS Date 2008/09/30

Memory Size 512 MB

Memory Type GDDR3

Core Clock in MHz 625 MHz

Memory Clock in MHz 993 MHz

Total Memory Bandwidth in GByte/s 63,6 GByte/s

SOFTWARE:

Driver Packaging Version 8.681-091124a-092498C-ATI

Catalyst™ Version 09.12

Provider ATI Technologies Inc.

2D Driver Version 8.01.01.984

2D Driver File Path /REGISTRY/MACHINE/SYSTEM/ControlSet001/Control/Class/{4D36E968-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}/0000

Direct3D Version 8.14.10.0716

OpenGL Version 6.14.10.9232

Catalyst™ Control Center Version 2009.1124.2131.38610

EDIT: Updated the driver, but the issue persists. But at least now I can switch out and in of textured mode to fix it. That's good.

Edited by ocn

Where are the REAL brits?! The one's we have are just brit-ish.

I can no longer run darkradiant. It has actually been several months since I could, but I kept building new versions from svn hoping that I'd eventually build one that worked.

It crashes right after the splash screen, but before the darkradiant window is drawn.

When I run darkradiant in a console, the only output is "Segmentation fault". So I cannot reliably debug it.

I am running Mandriva Cooker (aka Mandriva 2011). I have no issues when compiling, except that I need to leave folder 'install/i18h' out of the Makefile, else it tries to build it for German language and I get errors related to 'de.po' file, etc.

I'm positive that one of the dependencies needed for darkradiant is a newer version than it requires, but if I get no output other than "Segmentation fault", how do I know which library is making it crash?

When I look at the dependencies listed in the compilation guide, all looks ok. I mean, for example, the guide says I need "gtk2-devel" and I have "libgtk+2.0-devel-2.22.1-1mdv2011.0.i586" installed.... or for "boost-devel" I have "libboost-devel-1.44.0-4mdv2011.0.i586" installed.

Like I said, as long as I exclude the German* language Makefile, the compilation goes smooth and it installs fine.

I have also tried extracting darkradiant from a pre-built .deb package, and then copying the files to my drakradiant path, but that also segfaults.

*BTW, why does it (SVN version) default to installing German language files anyway? Shouldn't it look for the users current locale settings and work from that?

Edited by PranQster

System: Mageia Linux Cauldron, aka Mageia 8

EDIT: Updated the driver, but the issue persists. But at least now I can switch out and in of textured mode to fix it. That's good.

Yeah, when it happened on my x1900, it would do the same thing - made for some very trippy mapping... and texture tools... oh god texture tool ;/ But yeah it resets if you change layout/render mode. The problem is that I didnt fix it, I replaced the card and the problem vanished, I couldnt find reports of it on any other radiant based editors, very few reports of similar bugs to do with anything.

One thing I dont think I tested was enabling support for non-power of two textures in hardware. I'd something like this might happen if it somehow tries to do that. You should be able to force it via registry, the key might mention something about Direct3D but as far as I know it's shared.

I can no longer run darkradiant. It has actually been several months since I could, but I kept building new versions from svn hoping that I'd eventually build one that worked.

It crashes right after the splash screen, but before the darkradiant window is drawn.

When I run darkradiant in a console, the only output is "Segmentation fault". So I cannot reliably debug it.

I am running Mandriva Cooker (aka Mandriva 2011). I have no issues when compiling, except that I need to leave folder 'install/i18h' out of the Makefile, else it tries to build it for German language and I get errors related to 'de.po' file, etc.

I'm positive that one of the dependencies needed for darkradiant is a newer version than it requires, but if I get no output other than "Segmentation fault", how do I know which library is making it crash?

When I look at the dependencies listed in the compilation guide, all looks ok. I mean, for example, the guide says I need "gtk2-devel" and I have "libgtk+2.0-devel-2.22.1-1mdv2011.0. i586" installed.... or for "boost-devel " I have "libboost-devel-1.44.0-4mdv2011.0.i586" installed.

Like I said, as long as I exclude the German* language Makefile, the compilation goes smooth and it installs fine.

I have also tried extracting darkradiant from a pre-built .deb package, and then copying the files to my drakradiant path, but that also segfaults.

*BTW, why does it (SVN version) default to installing German language files anyway? Shouldn't it look for the users current locale settings and work from that?

You can maybe try to run it via gdb to obtain a stacktrace? There is also a logfile created somewhere, darkradiant.log which might give some insight.

That assertion doesn't look good but I can't say why this happens. Maybe the GTKglext support is not that good?

The problem is I can't really say what's going on, every distribution has some other unique flaws it seems - I could have a dozen VMs just to get to those stupid compatibility errors. (I already have VMs for Ubuntu 10.04 x86, 10.10 x86, 10.10 x64, Debian 5.0 x64. Everytime something else is going wrong, very frustrating.)

Yeah, I know how that goes. If I were still running Mandriva 2010.1 I wouldn't have this problem, but Mandriva Cooker uses libraries much newer than most other distros use.

In time, these newer libraries will become the norm (and have bugs fixed) and darkradiant will eventually run again. I'll just be patient.

Either that or I'll run a more standard distro in VMWare and use that for darkradiant... hmmm I may just do that.

Edit:

I just compiled and installed gtkglext from source. Darkradiant is rebuilding. I'll see if that fixes it.

Edit:

*Sigh*

/usr/lib/libgtkglext-x11-1.0.so: undefined reference to `GTK_WIDGET_TOPLEVEL'

/usr/lib/libgtkglext-x11-1.0.so: undefined reference to `GTK_WIDGET_REALIZED'

/usr/lib/libgtkglext-x11-1.0.so: undefined reference to `GTK_WIDGET_NO_WINDOW'

Back to the drawing board :)

Edit:

I downloaded the gtkglext packages from a Mandriva 2010.1 official repository and did the following:

# rpm -Uvh --nodeps --force *.rpm

Preparing... ########################################### [100%]

1:libgtkglext-1.0_0 ########################################### [ 25%]

2:libgtkglext-1.0_0-devel########################################### [ 50%]

3:python-gtkglext ########################################### [ 75%]

4:ruby-gtkglext ########################################### [100%]

I know darkradiant worked with 2010.1, so there should be no excuse for it to fail now.

Fixed!!

Yeah that fixed it. I didn't have to recompile it. I just ran what I had already installed and it came right up :)

Edited by PranQster

System: Mageia Linux Cauldron, aka Mageia 8

Concerning the 'turn off desktop composition' issue reported earlier. The latest version of Dark Radiant posted on the website is also exhibiting this issue on my system. The previous version worked, but after updating to the latest version it doesn't.

I'm unable to disable it through the icon as well.

I'm going to file a bug report.

The Editor still isn't compatible with the Windows Vista Aero Design. I have to set my Windows Design to "classic" everytime I want to start Dark Radiant. Otherwise the 2d and 3d windows aren't working.

"Einen giftigen Trank aus Kräutern und Wurzeln für die närrischen Städter wollen wir brauen." - Text aus einem verlassenen Heidenlager

The Editor still isn't compatible with the Windows Vista Aero Design. I have to set my Windows Design to "classic" everytime I want to start Dark Radiant. Otherwise the 2d and 3d windows aren't working.

It was prior to 1.5.0, there is an option to disable desktop composition but it no longer worked in 1.5.0. It has been fixed and will be working again in the next release.

Can anybody confirm this crash?

* Kubuntu, DR 1.5.0

* Start DR

* right-click and select "Create Model" (or "Create entity")

* hit "4" (or "r" and I suspect whatever you want) on your keyboard

* DR crashes to desktop

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

I get the same on my Ubuntu laptop (10.10 x64), though the backtrace suggests that there is no DarkRadiant code involved:

#0 0x00007fffefef8ba5 in raise () from /lib/libc.so.6

#1 0x00007fffefefc6b0 in abort () from /lib/libc.so.6

#2 0x00007ffff09b96bd in __gnu_cxx::__verbose_terminate_handler() ()

from /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6

#3 0x00007ffff09b7906 in ?? () from /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6

#4 0x00007ffff09b7933 in std::terminate() () from /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6

#5 0x00007ffff4cc0185 in Glib::exception_handlers_invoke() ()

from /usr/lib/libglibmm-2.4.so.1

#6 0x00007ffff748e1df in ?? () from /usr/lib/libgtkmm-2.4.so.1

#7 0x00007ffff5118ec3 in ?? () from /usr/lib/libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0

#8 0x00007ffff5119268 in ?? () from /usr/lib/libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0

#9 0x00007ffff5119622 in ?? () from /usr/lib/libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0

#10 0x00007ffff511cd73 in ?? () from /usr/lib/libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0

#11 0x00007ffff7493ac2 in Gtk::Widget::on_key_press_event(_GdkEventKey*) ()

from /usr/lib/libgtkmm-2.4.so.1

#12 0x00007ffff749a393 in Gtk::Widget_Class::key_press_event_callback(_GtkWidget*, _GdkEventKey*) () from /usr/lib/libgtkmm-2.4.so.1

#13 0x00007ffff501c9d8 in ?? () from /usr/lib/libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0

#14 0x00007ffff2c0d9b9 in g_closure_invoke () from /usr/lib/libgobject-2.0.so.0

#15 0x00007ffff2c23120 in ?? () from /usr/lib/libgobject-2.0.so.0

#16 0x00007ffff2c247db in g_signal_emit_valist ()

from /usr/lib/libgobject-2.0.so.0

#17 0x00007ffff2c24f53 in g_signal_emit () from /usr/lib/libgobject-2.0.so.0

---Type to continue, or q to quit---

#18 0x00007ffff51356df in ?? () from /usr/lib/libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0

#19 0x00007ffff51467bb in gtk_window_propagate_key_event ()

from /usr/lib/libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0

#20 0x00007ffff514984b in ?? () from /usr/lib/libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0

#21 0x00007ffff7493ac2 in Gtk::Widget::on_key_press_event(_GdkEventKey*) ()

from /usr/lib/libgtkmm-2.4.so.1

#22 0x00007ffff749a393 in Gtk::Widget_Class::key_press_event_callback(_GtkWidget*, _GdkEventKey*) () from /usr/lib/libgtkmm-2.4.so.1

#23 0x00007ffff501c9d8 in ?? () from /usr/lib/libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0

#24 0x00007ffff2c0da6e in g_closure_invoke () from /usr/lib/libgobject-2.0.so.0

#25 0x00007ffff2c23120 in ?? () from /usr/lib/libgobject-2.0.so.0

#26 0x00007ffff2c247db in g_signal_emit_valist ()

from /usr/lib/libgobject-2.0.so.0

#27 0x00007ffff2c24f53 in g_signal_emit () from /usr/lib/libgobject-2.0.so.0

#28 0x00007ffff51356df in ?? () from /usr/lib/libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0

#29 0x00007ffff5014f44 in gtk_propagate_event ()

#30 0x00007ffff5015f4b in gtk_main_do_event ()

#31 0x00007ffff460a74c in ?? () from /usr/lib/libgdk-x11-2.0.so.0

#32 0x00007ffff234c342 in g_main_context_dispatch () from /lib/libglib-2.0.so.0

#33 0x00007ffff23502a8 in ?? () from /lib/libglib-2.0.so.0

#34 0x00007ffff23507b5 in g_main_loop_run () from /lib/libglib-2.0.so.0

I've compiled DR from source here, so there should be no "wrong" libraries causing that, everything is vanilla Ubuntu here, except for the custom libgdk-pixbuf lib from OrbWeaver's PPA.

I think this is new in 1.05. I selected a lot of brush surfaces, say 20 or 30 then make decal patches. It says 3 or 4 not suitable. That's normal and I usually fix those later. My next step of course is to texture all the new decals with grime. Then 'fit'. Then do 3 or other big walls each similar with 20 or 30 surfaces and some fail. Then I notice that when I textured, DR grime-textured (and fitted) not only the new decals but also the brush surfaces that failed. I decided it would be easier to reload the map and do it all again rather than fix those.

I've done a lot of these and this never happened before so I'm guessing it's new to 1.05. My guess is that prior to 1.05, if 'make decal' failed, that DR deselected those surfaces. Is that right? Leaving those selected does not help because they can't be auto-decaled anyway.

I'm not actually sure how to handle this now with a lot of surfaces. I have a choice of the above and fixing brush surfaces and re-aligning them, or creating decals, deselecting bad surfaces (if I can see them) or deselecting all and then reselecting all the new decals and texturing and fitting. Mmmmm...

To add to the above, I think it would be better, if possible, if DR went ahead and created a rectangular patch on the irregular surfaces. Can it do that? I have to make those patches anyway so I'd normally create a patch elsewhere and put it on manually then adjust the vertices to fit.

I think this is new in 1.05. I selected a lot of brush surfaces, say 20 or 30 then make decal patches. It says 3 or 4 not suitable. That's normal and I usually fix those later. My next step of course is to texture all the new decals with grime. Then 'fit'. Then do 3 or other big walls each similar with 20 or 30 surfaces and some fail. Then I notice that when I textured, DR grime-textured (and fitted) not only the new decals but also the brush surfaces that failed. I decided it would be easier to reload the map and do it all again rather than fix those.

Is that reproducible? If yes, please add the tracker entry, I'll look into it next week.

• 3 weeks later...

question: is there a tracker for the problem where when shift selecting, DR sometimes selects everything behind it..? I ask because in the last few weeks its gotten much worse..

Sounds like your mouse sensitivity/activation is causing it to drag select?