The Dark Mod Forums

FM does not stay installed and Saved games don't run

namuh1

Hi All, I've looked at many posts that are similar to this problem but found none that fix this for my system: Win7, Steam version of Doom3, Latest TDM patch.

I launch the game from a shortcut that passes the wiki suggested arguments to steam.exe. Here are the defects:

1 - I can install and run an new instance of an FM but upon exiting and rerunning the game the Name of the FM does not appear as Current Game BUT the installed FM will run, but only from the beginning every time.

2 - I can save in game and exit and rerun the game and the saved FM does appear in the save/load list but choosing and loading the saved FM instance results in a return to the Main Menu and nothing further happens so in effect I can only play an FM from the beginning.

3 - If I set options in the Options section such as mapping different keys for movement they are forgotten on the next run.

I tried deleting the .cfg file as suggested and re-running tdm-update but with no results.

Any help appreciated... thanks

It sounds like your steam folder is located in your "Program Files" folder, which in Win 7 is not writable by a user application. You might need to run Doom3 as Administrator or change the directory to allow user processes write/modify rights.

I'd try out with just running it as admin :)

It sounds like your steam folder is located in your "Program Files" folder, which in Win 7 is not writable by a user application. You might need to run Doom3 as Administrator or change the directory to allow user processes write/modify rights.

I'd try out with just running it as admin :)

@Serpentine -> thanks for the input

Actually the Steam folder is not in Program Files but in a 'game tree' I keep for games only. I tried setting permissions on the whole Steam tree to Full Control for all and I made sure all the folders and subFolders are RWE. I set the Shortcut to run as Admin but don't know how to set steam.exe to run as Admin since the shortcut launches it and I'm not so knowledgeable with passed arguments.

In any case, it all still works as before which is to say it still exhibits the above problems with one addition.

Now when I save in-game the saved game does not even show up in the Load/Save list. :(

Oh and also I ran the latest version of the updater and it indicates that all is up to date and where it belongs.

Please post:

Your path to the Doom3 install directory.

The arguments in your TDM Steam shortcut.

A console dump "condump <filename>"

Security software vendor?

Finally, while I cannot quite fathom how this would affect things in this manner, please verify whether you have an nVidia GPU and have the "Threaded Optimizations" to false (which is the correct value for TDM and other Doom 3 mods)...

Thanks,

nbohr1more :)

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

Please post:

Your path to the Doom3 install directory.

The arguments in your TDM Steam shortcut.

A console dump "condump <filename>"

Security software vendor?

Finally, while I cannot quite fathom how this would affect things in this manner, please verify whether you have an nVidia GPU and have the "Threaded Optimizations" to false (which is the correct value for TDM and other Doom 3 mods)...

Thanks,

nbohr1more :)

C:\root\g\Steam\Steam.exe -applaunch 9050 +set fs_game_base darkmod

From the tdmlauncher.log:

Path to tdmlauncher is c:\root\g\steam\steamapps\common\doom 3\darkmod\tdmlauncher.exe

Darkmod directory is c:\root\g\steam\steamapps\common\doom 3\darkmod\

Trying default value for engine executable is c:\root\g\steam\steamapps\common\doom 3\DOOM3.exe

Found engine executable in c:\root\g\steam\steamapps\common\doom 3\DOOM3.exe

Current FM is: alchemist

Full argument string is: +set fs_game_base darkmod +set fs_game alchemist

Doom 3 is still running, waiting one second...

Detected Steam version of D3; Steam executable found at c:\root\g\steam\steamapps\..\steam.exe

Starting process c:\root\g\steam\steamapps\..\steam.exe -applaunch 9050 +set fs_game_base darkmod +set fs_game alchemist

Closing logfile.

No security software except Windows native and it's turned off atm.

I have no idea how to tell about the nVidia setting you are asking about but I do have an nVidia GPU -> GeForce GTX 295

My system does not have a program named 'condump' ?

don't let the path with 'root' confuse you... this is a Win7 system

Alchemist is known to be a little problematic...

Did you download it directly or via the in-game downloader tool?

If you did not use the downloader tool, please remove Alchemist save games, PK4 directory from the FMS directory, and the corresponding Alchemist sub-directory in your Doom 3 install directory.

If you did install the latest version via the downloader then please post your save file.

With regard to your video card, here are some recommended changes:

Open Nvidia Control Panel ->

Manage 3D Settings ->

Bottom half of list locate "Threaded Optimization" <-- Set to NO / Off

Also set "Multi-display/Mixed GPU acceleration" to "Single display performance mode"

Finally, if the above items do not help, to perform a "condump" open your Doom 3 console via CRTL-ALT-Tilde "~" or for some regions CTRL-ALT-Carrot "^" then type "condump troubleshoot.txt". Once you reproduce the behavior and close out of The Dark Mod there will be a file with the name "troubleshoot.txt" in your Alchemist sub-directory in the Doom 3 install directory.

Alchemist is known to be a little problematic...

Did you download it directly or via the in-game downloader tool?

If you did not use the downloader tool, please remove Alchemist save games, PK4 directory from the FMS directory, and the corresponding Alchemist sub-directory in your Doom 3 install directory.

If you did install the latest version via the downloader then please post your save file.

With regard to your video card, here are some recommended changes:

Open Nvidia Control Panel ->

Manage 3D Settings ->

Bottom half of list locate "Threaded Optimization" <-- Set to NO / Off

Also set "Multi-display/Mixed GPU acceleration" to "Single display performance mode"

Finally, if the above items do not help, to perform a "condump" open your Doom 3 console via CRTL-ALT-Tilde "~" or for some regions CTRL-ALT-Carrot "^" then type "condump troubleshoot.txt". Once you reproduce the behavior and close out of The Dark Mod there will be a file with the name "troubleshoot.txt" in your Alchemist sub-directory in the Doom 3 install directory.

Ok I 'll work on the condump but please explain why video settings would have anything at all to do with the game saving and loading? The video works fine and all the controls do too.

As far as Alchemist, I only chose that as an example. I did download it with the latest in-game downloader as well as several other FM's and none work any differently. I just didn't mention them. The Training Mission doesn't save or load either nor does it's title appear in the 'Current Game' dialog when it is set as the current mission.

The Nvidia "Threaded Optimizations" is not a video setting per se, but instead a way to tell your graphic driver to try and use more than one CPU core.

We have seen many stability issues with this feature.

The Nvidia "Threaded Optimizations" is not a video setting per se, but instead a way to tell your graphic driver to try and use more than one CPU core.

We have seen many stability issues with this feature.

Attached is the console dump generated after I entered the game, loaded the Training Mission, tried to save a game instance, entered the console, performed condump, exited console and quit game....

troubleshoot.txt

When you install a mission, can you confirm that the currentfm.txt file gets updated correctly with the mission's name?

When you restart the game and the currently installed mission is "lost": can you open the console and type "fs_" and press the key? It should list the CVAR values for fs_game and fs_game_base - what are they set to?

What if you select "Restart Game" in the settings dialog? Does TDM remember which mission you had installed?

When you install a mission, can you confirm that the currentfm.txt file gets updated correctly with the mission's name?

When you restart the game and the currently installed mission is "lost": can you open the console and type "fs_" and press the <TAB> key? It should list the CVAR values for fs_game and fs_game_base - what are they set to?

What if you select "Restart Game" in the settings dialog? Does TDM remember which mission you had installed?

If I restart the game it does remember the installed game but does not and never did display the Name in Current Game... you have to start to play to see that it is the same game. If HOWEVER, you exit the game and re-run it then it does NOT remember the installed game

Under ALL circumstances the 'currentfm.txt' file is updated to the latest name i.e. if I install Heart then the word 'heart' is in that file.

If I install a game and exit the program such that when I re-enter and the mission is forgotten then the fs_ variables do not contain the current game info

for clarity I did this cycle and saved another condump which is attached.

BTW how do you scroll the console window? I could not read the fs_ variables directly since they scrolled out of view which is why I did the new condump?

Thanks by the way for all the help. I appreciate the time you all have spent and are spending to help me! I can't believe I've waited so many years for this game only to be stopped by 'system configs'.... the gameplay is superb.

troubleshoot.txt

Under ALL circumstances the 'currentfm.txt' file is updated to the latest name i.e. if I install Heart then the word 'heart' is in that file.

In this case we can rule out any write/permission issues. It boils down to the launching which is not performed correctly.

If I install a game and exit the program such that when I re-enter and the mission is forgotten then the fs_ variables do not contain the current game info

This is where all goes wrong. When tdmlauncher passes the arguments to DOOM3.exe the fs_game_base and fs_game arguments should contain something valid, i.e. fs_game_base should be "darkmod" and fs_game should be the name of the currently installed FM "heart" or "alchemist" or "training_mission".

Can you try to create a custom shortcut like this (please correct path to steam.exe if I get it wrong here):

c:\root\g\steam\steam.exe -applaunch 9050 +set fs_game_base darkmod +set fs_game heart

Does that give you the correct FM "Heart of Lone Salvation" after startup? Of course the FM directory "heart" should exist, it's best if you try to install the mission before creating the custom shortcut.

BTW how do you scroll the console window? I could not read the fs_ variables directly since they scrolled out of view which is why I did the new condump?

Mousewheel and/or pageup/pagedown keys.

In this case we can rule out any write/permission issues. It boils down to the launching which is not performed correctly.

This is where all goes wrong. When tdmlauncher passes the arguments to DOOM3.exe the fs_game_base and fs_game arguments should contain something valid, i.e. fs_game_base should be "darkmod" and fs_game should be the name of the currently installed FM "heart" or "alchemist" or "training_mission".

Can you try to create a custom shortcut like this (please correct path to steam.exe if I get it wrong here):

c:\root\g\steam\steam.exe -applaunch 9050 +set fs_game_base darkmod +set fs_game heart

Does that give you the correct FM "Heart of Lone Salvation" after startup? Of course the FM directory "heart" should exist, it's best if you try to install the mission before creating the custom shortcut.

Mousewheel and/or pageup/pagedown keys.

@greebo

With the heart mission installed and a folder in the doom 3 folder named heart I created the custom shortcut by cutting and pasting your text (path was correct) and ran the game. The 'Current Mission' dialog still does not show the current FM but clicking Start Mission works and Heart runs. I pre-checked the fs_ variables and they appeared correct from the feedback in this topic.

I played a short time and tried to save the game. The save game dialog exits to the active mission screen with the message 'Game Saved' at the top of the screen but going back to Save/Load displays a blank list as if the game is NOT saved.

Exiting the program, I checked the 'heart' folder in the doom 3 root and in it the 'savedgames' folder. It contains 3 files:

.save

.tga

.txt

reading the .txt file -> contains 3 lines:

"heartBegin"... the name I chose for the Saved Game... so I know that this is the 'save instance' I was trying to create.

"heart"... I assume the system's name for the game the save belongs to

""... an empty double quote

Hope this helps.... I'm sure lost :)

If the fs_game and fs_game_base CVARs were showing the correct values this means that the custom shortcut was working in itself. Can you confirm the same when using tdmlauncher or is there a difference to the custom shortcut?

As "Currently Installed Mission" does not show anything I suspect the game/menu code is not able to find or read the currentfm.txt in darkmod. Please open the darkmod.ini file and switch on these values:

LogError=1

LogDebug=1

LogWarning=1

LogInfo=1

LogClass_MAINMENU=1

Then start the game (either shortcut or tdmlauncher). The game creates a darkmod.log file in the Doom 3 folder (it is overwritten per each game start), please post its contents, maybe I can spot anything.

If the fs_game and fs_game_base CVARs were showing the correct values this means that the custom shortcut was working in itself. Can you confirm the same when using tdmlauncher or is there a difference to the custom shortcut?

As "Currently Installed Mission" does not show anything I suspect the game/menu code is not able to find or read the currentfm.txt in darkmod. Please open the darkmod.ini file and switch on these values:

LogError=1

LogDebug=1

LogWarning=1

LogInfo=1

LogClass_MAINMENU=1

Then start the game (either shortcut or tdmlauncher). The game creates a darkmod.log file in the Doom 3 folder (it is overwritten per each game start), please post its contents, maybe I can spot anything.

@greebo

I believe the problem is fixed. I tried watching the launch sequence in a debugger that I used to use before I retired from programming and noticed that although the initial launch was through the shortcut that I have been using the 'restart' launched the doom executable through the Steam launch table. I suppose this should have been obvious to me, but I didn't think about it clearly. A year ago when I was first testing the version 1 (original release.. don't remember the exact number) I set the command line parameters that the wiki specifies into the passed command line arguments of the instance of doom that gets launched from the actual Steam launch table. I can only guess that running the program with the same command line parameters somehow corrupted something. In any case, I removed those command line arguments in the Steam table and EVERYTHING now works. Oddly enough the game also now runs completely fine if I simply use the tdmlauncher without any custom command parameters by itself as well.

But the bottom line is that the current game is now persistent and its Name also appears correctly in the Current Mission dialog. Saves and Loads persist and load correctly during gameplay and after exit and re-entry. I am a bit embarrassed that I forgot about that mod I made, but it was a year ago and I didn't keep notes then. My apologies for the insidious loop I created and the time you spent helping me. I learned a lot and will try to pay forward by helping others as I learn the internals of the game.

Thanks again.

• 8 months later...

I'm using the TDM Launcher via C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\doom 3\darkmod

I've been using this ok so far, until yesterday when I discovered there was a DM update (it's been months since I've played), and ran the update automatically via the tdm_update. Since running that update I can load every mission ok, but in every instance on starting DM nothing appears in the "Current Game' window, and saved games won't launch (to be more accurate, saved games do not appear in the list until I restart DM, and even then they won't load).

You can't launch any saved games made in earlier versions. Can't tell from your description if that's the problem or not.

I'm not trying to load saved games from previous versions. I'm trying to load saved games from the latest maps I downloaded yesterday, after installing the DM update - new update, new downloaded missions.

Hmm.... something else interesting I've discovered... DM won't run at all without Steam active. If I exit Steam and attempt to run TDM Launcher, a Steam 'update' box appears, as if it's trying to update Steam but leaves me with the message that "Steam is temporarily unavailable". Is this normal?

Update (hours later):

- renamed my current darkmod folder to darkmodOLD

- re-downloaded the latest tdm_update.exe and ran it to get a fresh install of DM

- ran tdmlauncher.exe - it opened ok and presented me with the token training level

- used the DM interface to download 'Awaiting the Storm' (a small map)

- Ran 'Awaiting the Storm'. Opens ok, but I still have nothing in the "Current Game' box, and saved games still do not appear in the list until a restart, and won't load anyhow.

Is this not a fresh installation?

Edited by tinRobot

I've since;

1. Renamed my DOOM3 folder
  2. Re-downloaded DOOM3 (via Steam)
  3. Run D3 to make sure it worked ok
  4. Created a new darkmod folder in the DOOM3 folder
  5. Re-downloaded tdm_update.exe
  6. Run tdm_update.exe and re-downloaded all of DM
  7. Run DM
  8. Used in built-in mission downloader to download 'betrayal'
  9. Installed betrayal (can you see where this is going?)
  10. Gone to run it, but alas it STILL does not appear in the Current Game list and STILL won't save games.

I'm out of ideas. There must be someone out there having this same issue, surely...

Thanks for the offer, but having a stranger remote-in to my computer will be a last resort.

Why don't you simply tell me what you would be looking for? I've worked in IT for nearly 25 years, so you won't have to dumb-it-down for me - simply tell me what you'd be looking for, and perhaps I can solve this from here, and post the results back for others.

Again, thanks for the offer.