The Dark Mod Forums

Using TDM assets in other D3 mods

solarsplace

Hi

I know the following question has already been asked:

Can one use some TDM assets in some other D3 mod?

To which the answer seems to be:

Well TDM is open source, so as long as you give full credits it will be ok.

What if I were to ask:

Can I use practically your whole suit of AI models (guards, wenches, spiders etc...) in my mod (obviously giving full credits to TDM)?

Is the answer going to be:

No, there is a line and you just crossed it! - You are seriously taking the piss!

I'm happy to keep fixing odd TDM script and SDK bugs from the bug tracker (if I can get to one before Tels fixes it).

The reason for this request boils down to the fact that I am the only one working on my mod now and, well TBH I'm a programmer not an artist :( - without these models, the mod probably goes in the bin, and that would be a shame having invested a year and a half of graft into it.

Regards

I can't answer the question.

But I've sometimes wondered why there is no Opensource Mod Repository which would share models and other assets between different mods. Basically when a model is put there, it would be free to use in non-commercial mods.

Sort of freesound.org for game mod assets. In time, the repository would be full of models making things increasingly easy for future modders.

But probably there is some kind of limitation, I guess..

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

According to the LICENSE.txt included in the mod:

All maps, textures, models, def files, audio assets, and all other

non-software components of The Dark Mod are licensed under the

Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 Unported license,

as specified at http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/3.0/legalcode

and described at http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/3.0/

This means that you can use the assets in your own mod provided that attribution is given, the mod is not commercial, and is released under the same "share alike" terms.

This means that you can use the assets in your own mod provided that attribution is given, the mod is not commercial, and is released under the same "share alike" terms.

Not a problem, thank you for the confirmation.

Regards

Solar

I ask the reverse question, can the TDM community use assets from your mod..? you have a nice range of textures, models and sounds etc that would fit in very well in the TDM universe. As you know I'm a fan of your caves & tunnels and would love to play around with them in TDM.

On the subject of door sounds, TDM is desperat need of more variation in that dept.. I love the creaking door sound in Arx..

Edited by Bikerdude

I think it's a good idea that big mod projects effectively serve as general asset depositories, always with credit of course. But there's just no sense in re-inventing the wheel every time. Think how many more great mods and games there could be if people could just concentrate on the gameplay and interface and not lose so much time on poorer assets that have already been made better in other places.

The only catch is that a good game usually deserves its own art direction, making it original and giving it its own personality, and using other teams' assets loses that. But original art direction is just one factor of many to think about. It all depends on what you want to do with your game and the resources you have to work with.

Edit: I was thinking about this recently just thinking about a Cyberpunk branch for Darkmod, mostly just an asset rehaul with only as much gameplay and interface tweaking as necessary (I go back and forth how ambitious it should be)... Just fantasizing about it for now anyway. But then I was thinking about the Neo Tokyo assets, because I really like them and would love to see them with TDM style gameplay. (Although they were made for a HL2 TC, so I don't know how well they'd transfer.)

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

Edit: I was thinking about this recently just thinking about a Cyberpunk branch for Darkmod, mostly just an asset rehaul with only as much gameplay and interface tweaking as necessary (I go back and forth how ambitious it should be)... Just fantasizing about it for now anyway. But then I was thinking about the Neo Tokyo assets, because I really like them and would love to see them with TDM style gameplay. (Although they were made for HL2, so I don't know how well they'd transfer.)

Heh.. And I was thinking about pirates, vikings and knights 2 assets, which might fit TDM quite nicely if they were retextured into a much more grimy look. Also that mod has a lot of medieval stuff, which might fit ours.

Especially this guy might fit TDM if he was dirtied up a bit:

bt_forgotten0005ssm.jpg

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

Solar

I ask the reverse question, can the TDM community use assets from your mod..? you have a nice range of textures, models and sounds etc that would fit in very well in the TDM universe. As you know I'm a fan of your caves & tunnels and would love to play around with them in TDM.

On the subject of door sounds, TDM is desperat need of more variation in that dept.. I love the creaking door sound in Arx..

Hi Bikerdude

I would be more than pleased to share any assets from the Arx mod apart from the some of the sounds with TDM :)

Caveat, there is a problem with some of the sounds that you have heard in our video demo unfortunately. We legally cannot use in our free mod or redistribute those :( and have to take them out of our mod. They are from the original game, here is the reason: http://arxendofsun.solarsplace.com/?p=188

Also we have always pledged to release the SDK code too. I hate when other D3 modders refuse to release the source! how are other supposed to learn and produce great mods for all to play?

With regard to the caves and tunnels - most of what you see is really a collection of demo, experiments and almost TV production set work, where the models fit together in a very specific and un-modular way as to make them quite un-reusable in other maps.

However! - I have an idea!

I have often thought of doing some tutorials on how to model caves for D3 mods that fit the following requirements:

You have to be a busy person with not much free time, you may have a full time job, children, wife and really several more important things that you should be doing apart from modding for fun.

You want to load up Blender and produce a cave or tunnel, you want to get it into D3 nicely textured and to do this fast for the above reason.

You want the cave or tunnel to look pretty convincing, but you are not going for http://www.moddb.com/mods/dear-esther quality for the above reasons of time.

Would TDM be interested in article(s) for their wiki that would help the whole TDM community, even Blender basic users like myself construct such environments - but with the essence being on fast and productive fun for amateur modders, rather than game studio realism?

Thanks for all the feedback on the subject anyway!

Regards all.

Edit: I was thinking about this recently just thinking about a Cyberpunk branch for Darkmod, mostly just an asset rehaul with only as much gameplay and interface tweaking as necessary (I go back and forth how ambitious it should be)... Just fantasizing about it for now anyway. But then I was thinking about the Neo Tokyo assets, because I really like them and would love to see them with TDM style gameplay. (Although they were made for a HL2 TC, so I don't know how well they'd transfer.)

Oooooh yeaaaah, I'd play that. Maybe even build a few levels - I've got a few ideas for a paranoid game of mass media, public surveillance and alienation that would work in a modern mod but not in TDM.

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

Oooooh yeaaaah, I'd play that. Maybe even build a few levels - I've got a few ideas for a paranoid game of mass media, public surveillance and alienation that would work in a modern mod but not in TDM.

Yeah, some kind of cyberpunk version would be really cool. Biggest hurdle I think is voices. Doom's already got guns... possibly some art assets that are just about right modern/futuristic.

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest

I would be more than pleased to share any assets from the Arx mod

I'd be interested in seeing the source files for those chickens--that's something I've wanted to add to TDM for a while...I'd be happy to spiffy them up and do a couple animations as well, assuming they're already rigged.

I'd be interested in seeing the source files for those chickens--that's something I've wanted to add to TDM for a while...I'd be happy to spiffy them up and do a couple animations as well, assuming they're already rigged.

Hi

I'l PM you, probably not tonight though.

They are all yours.

I have to warn you though - they are *cough* model-wise pretty shit! they were my first ever creatures (tries to pick smily that is weeping a little).

I wonder if anyone knows where the "Sapphire Scar" (Doom 3 System Shock mod) assets went...

HL2 assets can now look appropriate thanks to Sikkpin implementing HL2's ambient cubemap lighting :laugh:

(I even saw an older Doom3world thread where someone made a HL2 style skin shader in ARB shader language...)

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

I have to warn you though - they are *cough* model-wise pretty shit! they were my first ever creatures (tries to pick smily that is weeping a little).

I can improve the model, and you can have the updated version if you like. I just don't know anything about creating skeletons for animating, so have that step done would save me a lot of time.

I wonder if anyone knows where the "Sapphire Scar" (Doom 3 System Shock mod) assets went...

HL2 assets can now look appropriate thanks to Sikkpin implementing HL2's ambient cubemap lighting :laugh:

(I even saw an older Doom3world thread where someone made a HL2 style skin shader in ARB shader language...)

Hi

I got the assets if you need them. However, having looked through them quite a lot, it is hard to see anything in there that would be of interest to TDM.

I was first interested in them due to rumours of an advanced menu drag and drop implementation. Unfortunatly this, if it ever existed was only just started in the SDK code that was included.

I'm not sure if I'm alowed to upload it somewhere? let me know if you really want to see it, and we can look into it - see if its moral or legal etc ;)

CHeers

Hi Bikerdude, with regard to the caves and tunnels - I have an idea! I have often thought of doing some tutorials on how to model caves for D3 mods. Would TDM be interested in article(s) for their wiki that would help the whole TDM community, even Blender basic users like myself construct such environments - but with the essence being on fast and productive fun for amateur modders, rather than game studio realism?

Well the wiki is open to anyone to join and it has been added to by myself and other who simply want to help others, so I for one vote for this tunnel tut! And I cant see any of the TDM having an issue with this, in fact I would be surprised if they don't actively encourage it

On the subject of your textures and other models, how would you go about sharing this..? a simple idea would be a password protected archive loaded up on filefront or maybe even the darkmod website..?

Oh wow.

That is missing treasure right there. That's right up there with the resurface the "Raccoon City" mod. :)

I'm sure those assets could be modified and used for a Cyberpunk TDM spin-off...

(I will stop daydreaming for a moment until a qualified party chimes in :laugh: )

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

Solar

Hi Bikerdude

I have received a reply that Neurological is happy about this too.

So, all we need to do is add read-me, credits, licence file etc and get it uploaded somewhere for you.

Not really sure where the best host is? do you think password protected .zip on FileFront is OK then? or does TDM have an FTP account I could upload to?

We are more than happy at this point to share everything with TDM, but are reluctant to have the assets shared to the whole world at this point as the mod is not even nearly finished. So hope you will do a reasonable job to keep anything in house for now?

If all goes well, then we can do fresh uploads every few months or so when new assets have been added that you may be interested in?

Regards

@solarsplace:

Cool :) I think you could upload them to our SVN, f.i. the model resource repository. Springheel can tell you where this is exactly.

If not, I can easily give you access to the darkmod FTP account on bloodgate.com.

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

@solarsplace:

Cool :) I think you could upload them to our SVN, f.i. the model resource repository. Springheel can tell you where this is exactly.

If not, I can easily give you access to the darkmod FTP account on bloodgate.com.

Hi

The FTP sounds perfect! - That way I can just upload the whole thing in a .zip and you can rummage though and take what you want, the good the bad and the ugly.

Cheers

@solar: Sent you a PM.

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

Not really sure where the best host is? do you think password protected .zip on FileFront is OK then? or does TDM have an FTP account I could upload to? We are more than happy at this point to share everything with TDM, but are reluctant to have the assets shared to the whole world at this point as the mod is not even nearly finished. So hope you will do a reasonable job to keep anything in house for now?

SolarSpace, your a little star, my man!

@ Tels, can you post the link in the editors section so us mappers can have a rummage..?

Edited by Bikerdude

SolarSpace, your a little star, my man!

@ Tels, can you post the link in the editors section so us mappers can have a rummage..?

Solar said he uploads it on the weekend, once it is there, I'll post the link.