1. 1. Adjudge

• Play Mass Effect 2
    • Enroll In Therapy
    • Play ______ _____ ___ _________ Instead
  2. 2. Adjudge Anew

• Play STALKER
    • Play ___ ________ __ ___ _______ Instead
    • Stop Playing Games Already. Grow Up!

Just checking in to say thanks for the info, guys. I'm about to go STALKING (vanilla, soes that I kin get reacquainted and also be able to appreciate the mod{s} I install when I do install them)... I'll just see about the freedom I have to not be pushed into too much mercenary business... I doun wanna be a merk; I especially doun wanna be a merk for a disagreeable cause...

I found that playing Stalker was ok, it had some good moments and enjoyable ~do whateva~ gameplay... but it is also oppressingly boring at times, which made watching other people play it a far nicer way to spend the time than actually playing it. It's also far more enjoyable when they're playing on "realistic" or whatever, the joys of insta-gib and bandages.

Shadow of Chernobyl

Great game, I'm an Oblivion Lost player myself, and the only issue I have with that mod is the artifact crafting (after a while, when you get some of the better recipes, the resist artifacts can take a lot of the menace out of the environments), but things like the deleted monsters (being ambushed by a pack of chimeras can be terrifying, or being out in the open and encountering multiple dwarves), and the blowouts help to overcome this.... especially when a whole pack of monsters or enemy soldiers decide to take refuge in the same place you're in...

Clear Sky

Never finished this one due to a gamebreaking bug halfway through the game on base version with no mods, after updating my savegame was no longer compatible. Would not recommend playing this without patching to the newest official version, AND installing Clear Sky Complete 2009 (the graphics fixes and a bunch of community bugfixes).

Call of Pripyat

This one has a much different feel from the other two, it goes more for the misery of an utterly bleak and desolate landscape, as opposed to a radioactive and anomaly filled hellhole the other 2 went for... but is still really good.

Call of Pripyat Complete is listed as being 90% complete (as per moddb page last week), so you'd have time to play it through then get the mod for it. Hopefully the mod also removes some of the dorky voice acting ("Hey bro" seems really out of place in the Ukraine, especially when neither previous game had anything like that in it, but God help those mod makers if they change the voice for Hawaiian (the Yanov station barkeep) *shakes fist*)

This topic is confusing... the title says STALKER, but almost the whole of the first page is nothing but talk about Mass Effect?

Edited by Xarg

Intel Sandy Bridge i7 2600K @ 3.4ghz stock clocks
8gb Kingston 1600mhz CL8 XMP RAM stock frequency
Sapphire Radeon HD7870 2GB FLeX GHz Edition @ stock @ 1920x1080

Xarg, I just changed the thread title and added another question to the poll rather than open a new thread...

Thanks for the run down of the series. Pripyat get a high aggregate so I have a lot of playing to do apparently if I can get into this series.

Thanks, Serpentine for your input as well.

One question I'm hoping someone can answer with a "yes, do this":

Can I manipulate objects in the game? And to what degree? They talk up the physics and such but I've yet to figure out how to move or destroy a crate, and I'd like to. Oh, I'd like to be able to do more than that of course (TDM Rules!) but at least that.

Breakable crates normally look brown and have a distinct sound when you knife them. Most of the other crates etc have a much duller metallicy sounding noise when you knife them, and that's the "you can't break this" noise.

As per the physics, they're probably talking about stuff like things bouncing, ragdolls etc, as opposed to picking up a box and moving it around. You can push barrels and breakable crates around, and if the barrel falls on its side it starts rolling etc but I'm reasonably certain you can't pull a TDM and just start picking up and stacking things.

Hope that answers your question.

Yes, thanks. I had found some pushable and some unpushable, etc... crates and it is as you say.

More to the point (I was wanting to get somewhere I could see that I was probably meant to be able to get to... I also found that (once again as was the case that kicked off the ME2 thing) even though I was able to set up a certain control-bind (this for low-crouch) and have it register as valid, it wasn't actually working in-game.

So having fixed that I was able to get where I wanted... :rolleyes:

The lowcrouch with default controls for me was ctrl+shift, but if you've got that sorted and shuffled into some sneaky corner, congrats.... artifacts and ammo caches are often hidden around in weird places so exploration of every area is highly advised (assuming you're playing Shadow of Chernobyl), and if you're outside, turning grass draw distance to nearly nothing using the binoculars can make spotting in-the-wild artifacts much easier, the Agroprom and Wild Territory have quite a few just lying around. There's also a few in the hills and back parts of the Garbage, so good hunting, stalker!

Well, it is as they say a great game with some serious flaws.

It's linear. In an ugly way. Every time I try to go "the other way" it fails to deal with it in any sensible way. I know this is a very hard thing to have a game cope with -- which is why I praised ME2 so much on the point, and ME2 wasn't perfect. This game, however, is completely unable to reliably deal with anything but imagined or inconsequential deviation.

Still I am glad I'm in there. It's quite horrific and bleak and all that that is also mentioned in most reviews. But I love the idea of tying a story to history, important history. It's creative/expansive too. Sure there are some cliches and the aforementioned single-minded bleakness, but it reaches well beyond that stuff at the same time.

So, I'm glad I'm in there and, though disappointed as I was each of the other times I tried to get into it, I will just go ahead and follow the path laid out.

Just as long as it doesn't really get narrow and I have to join a "faction" before I damn well decide to or not.

I'm pretty sure you can play all the games without joining a faction, though there are obviously up and downsides to doing so.

Cool.

It's not that I refuse to join up with a faction. A couple of them might suit me in a United Front sorta way (or better). It's just that as yet I haven't enough info to decide one way or the other. Which, btw, is why I don't really like doing the things I am made to do, as it is, in-line with the story -- I know I don't like working for these petty capitalist Emeffs, the traders. :laugh:

Thanks again for the heads up on this stuff.

What part are you up to? Pretty much the only jobs you end up doing for the traders are to open up more sections of the map.

Well...

I already went to Yantar (one of the things I wasn't "supposed" to do out of order... it seems).

But having accpeted that and gotten back on the straight-and-narrow, I've just been to pay old Barov a visit. And Am now inside Lab X-19 and past the pass-coded door a little ways... been taking a few days off and playing "RTTCv2" and "The Transaction".

Ah you're in the Dark Valley Lab? Good fun that.

I gave the RttCv2 a try, spent an hour exploring all the new stuff, got inside the Builder area then died. Oh well, try again tomorrow!