The Dark Mod Forums

[MOD] - Upright bow with aimer

Dram

I've had this one on my local drive for over a year now, but I've just update it a little and thought I may as well release it in case others would like to use it. Basically it replaces the current angled bow with an upright one with aimer, similar to that seen in T1/2.

Any comments/bugs etc, please post or PM me.

Here is the file: MOD_UprightBowAimer.pk4 (use right-click Save Link As)

Here is the readme.txt:

======================================

===== Upright Bow with Aimer MOD =====

======================================

Description: This small modification changes the ingame angled bow to one similar to that in Thief 1 & 2, that is, upright and with an aimer.

Author: Dram - (animation set, as well as the aimer on the bow itself)

Release Date: 6th February, 2011

TDM Version: 1.04 (backwards compatible with all versions)

Installation: Place in your root TDM directory (eg: C:/Doom3/darkmod/)

Known Issues: None, as it only modifies the viewmodel definition, thus no functionality is changed

MOD_UprightBowAimer.jpg

Very cool :) Thanx for sharing it.

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

Where actually is the centre of the aiming sight? Is it the middle of the top bar then allow for droppage within the rectangle?

Should have mentioned that too, yes it is the middle of the top bar, just like in T1/2

Marvellous!

Does it have to be a mod?

Could it integrated and selected with an menu option?

Or could there be the possibility making the aiming reticule an object which the player can attach to their bow in-game? Like Crysis weapon modifications?

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

Great, thank you..

I think it should be a menu option (bow with/without aimer).

Edited by PPoe

He was sneeking silently in the night, moonlight was his enemy.

(Im not a native speaker, sorry for all miscleanous caused by my english..)

Awesome Addition Dram!!

... with your upright reticule mod aiming arrows feel so much better for a two-lefthanded clumsy fella like me used to T1/T2 ,-)

I think it should be a menu option (bow with/without aimer).

Or shopitem? :)

"Sharpshooter's bow" - 30 G

+1

"To rush is without doubt the most important enemy of joy" ~ Thieves Saying

It does a bit more than just add the bow sight though, it straightens the bow. Standard / Classic would probably be more fitting.

Well the animations can actually work independent of the model, so applying the upright anims to the old bow works fine as well. So in theory there could be two options - Upright/Angled and No Sight/With Sight. Adding this as 2 menu options would be quite simple really, just a matter of whether it is desirable. If so, it wouldn't take more then an hour to integrate, in theory. But is it something so important that it needs adding to the menu?

any news on your Blackheart Manor mission ? people waiting for it since first preview

Ah, yes. Well all that can be said at this point is that it is being worked on, I must admit that I delayed it for quite a long time due to work picking up as well as other RL issues, but now it is en route once again. I do sincerely apologize for the delay.

Well the animations can actually work independent of the model, so applying the upright anims to the old bow works fine as well. So in theory there could be two options - Upright/Angled and No Sight/With Sight. Adding this as 2 menu options would be quite simple really, just a matter of whether it is desirable. If so, it wouldn't take more then an hour to integrate, in theory. But is it something so important that it needs adding to the menu?

Yeah, I think players would enjoy playing with the classic version, so I see no harm making it an option in the menu, but I don't think we'll add the sight to our angled version.

One thing I seem to be noticing though is that the arrows final destination appears to be just slightly to the right of where I aimed using the bow sight. I might be wrong about that, but when I had the dead center of a beam lined up in the bow site, the arrow hit slightly to the right of where I intended it to go.

Yeah, I think players would enjoy playing with the classic version, so I see no harm making it an option in the menu, but I don't think we'll add the sight to our angled version.

Well it is compatible either way, so two simple choices in the menu can combine it in the way players could want. For example a T3 fan may want the aimer on the angled bow. Just a matter of setup really.

One thing I seem to be noticing though is that the arrows final destination appears to be just slightly to the right of where I aimed using the bow sight. I might be wrong about that, but when I had the dead center of a beam lined up in the bow site, the arrow hit slightly to the right of where I intended it to go.

Yeah, it is slightly offset to the right, but that is due to the arrow offset in viewmodel -> world. So the arrow goes slightly to the right. I suppose it is something I could take a look at if it could be improved.

But is it something so important that it needs adding to the menu?

I don't see why it should (didn't we already discuss that the first time it came up?). These kinds of modifications are going to be cropping up on a regular basis, hopefully.

The main menu should focus on the default TDM experience.

I don't see why it should (didn't we already discuss that the first time it came up?). These kinds of modifications are going to be cropping up on a regular basis, hopefully.

... simply 'cos it is advisable if TDM want to attract players.

- In this case old school Thief taffers which I think will love Dram's classic bow aimer as alternative option. It shouldn't be expected that people new to TDM do a deep forum search and eventually mod a mod before they start checking if liking TDM or not.

Personally if I'm intersted in a new game I go to the option menu, set things to my liking, fire up the game a hour or two ... and love, like. bore or hate it.

I think it's Always Pro for a game that easily let a player customise things to his or her liking as much as possible - not to force people to play a game a very distinct certain predefined way if there are valid options that won't break gameplay. (Naturally provided that menu options can be implemented with reasonable efforts of course)

"To rush is without doubt the most important enemy of joy" ~ Thieves Saying