The Dark Mod Forums

VC2010 - TDM 1.03 & Boost Compile Problem

solarsplace

Hi

With reference to:

How to compile the boost static libraries in Windows

http://modetwo.net/d...mpilation_Guide

Has anyone managed to get the 'regex' library to build with bjam?

The error (which I have been Googling for ages for a solution) is:

Q:\Doom3\TDMsrc\boost\boost_1_45_0\boost_1_45_0\libs\regex\build>bjam --toolset=msvc link=static debug stage
Q:/Doom3/TDMsrc/boost/boost_1_45_0/boost_1_45_0/tools/build/v2/build\configure.jam:145: in builds-raw
*** argument error
* rule UPDATE_NOW ( targets * : log ? : ignore-minus-n ? )
* called with: ( <p..\..\..\bin.v2\libs\regex\build\msvc-10.0\debug\threading-multi>has_icu.exe <p..\..\..\bin.v2\libs\regex\build\msvc-10.0
\debug\threading-multi>has_icu.pdb : 3 : ignore-minus-n : ignore-minus-q )
* extra argument ignore-minus-q
(builtin):see definition of rule 'UPDATE_NOW' being called
Q:/Doom3/TDMsrc/boost/boost_1_45_0/boost_1_45_0/tools/build/v2/build\configure.jam:179: in configure.builds
Q:/Doom3/TDMsrc/boost/boost_1_45_0/boost_1_45_0/tools/build/v2/build\configure.jam:216: in object(check-target-builds-worker)@411.check
Q:/Doom3/TDMsrc/boost/boost_1_45_0/boost_1_45_0/tools/build/v2/kernel\modules.jam:103: in modules.call-in
Q:/Doom3/TDMsrc/boost/boost_1_45_0/boost_1_45_0/tools/build/v2/util\indirect.jam:96: in indirect.call
Q:/Doom3/TDMsrc/boost/boost_1_45_0/boost_1_45_0/tools/build/v2/build\targets.jam:1012: in targets.evaluate-requirements
Q:/Doom3/TDMsrc/boost/boost_1_45_0/boost_1_45_0/tools/build/v2/build\targets.jam:1393: in basic-target.compute-usage-requirements
Q:/Doom3/TDMsrc/boost/boost_1_45_0/boost_1_45_0/tools/build/v2/build\alias.jam:47: in compute-usage-requirements
Q:/Doom3/TDMsrc/boost/boost_1_45_0/boost_1_45_0/tools/build/v2/build\targets.jam:1319: in object(alias-target-class)@415.generate
Q:/Doom3/TDMsrc/boost/boost_1_45_0/boost_1_45_0/tools/build/v2/build\targets.jam:732: in generate-really
Q:/Doom3/TDMsrc/boost/boost_1_45_0/boost_1_45_0/tools/build/v2/build\targets.jam:704: in object(main-target)@600.generate
Q:/Doom3/TDMsrc/boost/boost_1_45_0/boost_1_45_0/tools/build/v2/build\targets.jam:848: in targets.generate-from-reference
Q:/Doom3/TDMsrc/boost/boost_1_45_0/boost_1_45_0/tools/build/v2/build\targets.jam:1217: in generate-dependencies
Q:/Doom3/TDMsrc/boost/boost_1_45_0/boost_1_45_0/tools/build/v2/build\targets.jam:1268: in object(typed-target)@418.generate
Q:/Doom3/TDMsrc/boost/boost_1_45_0/boost_1_45_0/tools/build/v2/build\targets.jam:732: in generate-really
Q:/Doom3/TDMsrc/boost/boost_1_45_0/boost_1_45_0/tools/build/v2/build\targets.jam:704: in object(main-target)@601.generate
Q:/Doom3/TDMsrc/boost/boost_1_45_0/boost_1_45_0/tools/build/v2/build\targets.jam:848: in targets.generate-from-reference
Q:/Doom3/TDMsrc/boost/boost_1_45_0/boost_1_45_0/tools/build/v2/build\targets.jam:1217: in generate-dependencies
Q:/Doom3/TDMsrc/boost/boost_1_45_0/boost_1_45_0/tools/build/v2/build\targets.jam:1268: in object(install-target-class)@435.generate
Q:/Doom3/TDMsrc/boost/boost_1_45_0/boost_1_45_0/tools/build/v2/build\targets.jam:704: in object(main-target)@610.generate
Q:/Doom3/TDMsrc/boost/boost_1_45_0/boost_1_45_0/tools/build/v2\build-system.jam:735: in load
Q:\Doom3\TDMsrc\boost\boost_1_45_0\boost_1_45_0\tools\build\v2/kernel\modules.jam:283: in import
Q:\Doom3\TDMsrc\boost\boost_1_45_0\boost_1_45_0\tools\build\v2\kernel\bootstrap.jam:142: in boost-build
Q:\Doom3\TDMsrc\boost\boost_1_45_0\boost_1_45_0\boost-build.jam:17: in module scope

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Regards

I can compile regex of boost 1.45 with this command line just fine. Got the boost-jam-3.1.18-1-ntx86.zip from sourceforge and then did the following:

- Open the Visual Studio Command Prompt (2010)

- Head to your boost folder

- Enter path\to\bjam.exe link=static threading=multi address-model=32 debug stage

Replace "debug" with "release" for a release build, obviously.

I can look into getting the TDM sources ready to compile out of the box for 1.05, I guess, like I did for DarkRadiant.

I can compile regex of boost 1.45 with this command line just fine. Got the boost-jam-3.1.18-1-ntx86.zip from sourceforge and then did the following:

- Open the Visual Studio Command Prompt (2010)

- Head to your boost folder

- Enter path\to\bjam.exe link=static threading=multi address-model=32 debug stage

Replace "debug" with "release" for a release build, obviously.

I can look into getting the TDM sources ready to compile out of the box for 1.05, I guess, like I did for DarkRadiant.

Hi

Thank you for taking the time to offer advice.

Unfortunately it still refused to work.

In desperation I used bootstrap.bat to build my own bjam.exe and it all seemed to work fine using that!

Regards

OMG

Well that's great all you needed to do in the end was run a batch file to build an exe that would then enable you to build a static library if you simply ran the exe you built using the batch file under a special command prompt built for an environment of a separate compiler/linker.

SINAFNTBS.

The joys of compiling boost in windows :V

(I'm lazy and just use the boostpro installer)

Hi

OMG this is getting tedious :(

It turns out there are more librarys needed than mentioned on the Wiki, and I can't get those to build either. Half of them build fine, however the rest just fail with various errors. Googled for a while and there are loads of people with the same problems, just very few answers. :(

Thanks for the suggestion of the boostpro installer!

Is this the right thing: http://www.boostpro.com/download/ - plan to try this if it is!

Thanks

Edited by solarsplace

Yup, you just select which libs you need and it will go and fetch the relevant libs/docs/src and place it where you set :)

Does it offer boost 1.45 binaries too? I only see 1.44 installers on their website.