Example Entrant Poll  

11 members have voted

1. 1. Seasonal Theme captured?

• No Season defined?
    • Barely defined Season
    • Season is clear nothing more
    • Season is captured well
    • Near Perfect, evokes the feel of the Season
  2. 2. Gameplay: Enjoyment. Fun duration. Smooth flow, ect. Versus Bugs. Frustration, Boredom, framelag?

• One Star
    • Two Stars
    • Three Stars
    • Four Stars
    • Five Stars
  3. 3. Aesthetics: Visual pleasure, lighting, visual style. Audio, use mood. Storytelling and consistency?

• One Star
    • Two Stars
    • Three Stars
    • Four Stars
    • Five Stars

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, if a prize becomes available there may be some sore feelings but it's not like we can fly an auditor out to every entrant's home and watch them place their first DR brush.

Oh, really not? *unhides first brush again* You had me worried for a second there.. :ph34r::laugh:

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

Oh dear. Seems I ignited a new contest discussion. I have no delusion of actually winning this, but I shall step down if anyone asks me to. But some people are better at planning and visualizing things in their heads than I am. I use DR for this purpose. So while I concider what I'm working on now a draft, I'm obviously working on something that's intended for an entry to a contest. But it could also be released outside the contest as it ties in with the main story line of something I'm working on. This contest opened up the doors to my protagonists past, something I have to keep exploring as it is deeply intriguing.

Where are the REAL brits?! The one's we have are just brit-ish.

Like I said, fuggedaboutit...

If we get a terrific ocn mission, we all win.

And that's the point.

Relax.

...and get ready to bring it! (Jesps is one tough competitor!)

Edited by nbohr1more

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

I certainly don't mind anyone (especially the ones who have never worked with DR before) starting prior, it's just for fun isn't it? The thing I noticed when I created my first FM is that I had a lot ideas that I wanted to work out but most of them didn't even make it, but it's part of understanding DR better and better. We don't want to discourage new mappers that could potentially build a lot of FMs in the future right :P? Anyway that's my opinion.

A quick update nbhor1more:

I'll start a fulltime job on the 1st of March but I think 3 months should be enough to finish my FM, it will only be a small one. So I'll start building the FM once the contest starts and see how things go from there.

Edited by Carnage

Part of what you say might be true April, but sometimes it is necesarry to have a contest for people to start building.

I don't wanna be a prick by the way but lets keep it on topic and don't make it another discussion thread. Like the first post states:

'(This thread is not for discussion of how the contest should be run or whether it should be different.)'

Well, I wasn't the one who started the getting off topic (AAMOF, I went out of my way not to post in here even the slightest bit ofopnion -- wanting to leave this to be a "yes, I'm in" or"maybe, I'm in"thread)...

But, all that aside, it got off... and then I went off. And over the top. For that I'm sorry.

No, no... I take back the "fuck the contest"; I just would hope that it only fosters many FMs whilst not hindering any along the way.

Quality vs Quantity:

Ah the boiling passions of a Fan Mission addict.

Let's say that the more authors we can wrangle early, the more authors will come along for the action. Once, in great numbers they stand, we will be virtually assured that at least one mission will be decent. In fact, the TDM team's work virtually assures that many missions will. :)

(...tumble-weed rolls by at Quake3world, Doom3world, Rage3d, TTLG ... yeah we need a prize :laugh: )

Hey, first time poster/long time lurker here (is it bannable to say that? should be) This sounds like something I'm 80-90% sure I'd like to participate in. I've been following Dark Mod/wanting to make something for it for years, and this seems like a good catalyst because it actually coincides with some ideas I've been musing on

I have a questions about the criteria for judging though. Is the goal to try to reflect the season as clearly or stereotypically as possible (e.g., autumn has red/brown/orange leaves, pumpkins, goblin children) or can it be more subtle, with the ultimate goal to achieve high aesthetic quality while simply making sure the player knows what season is being communicated? I imagine it's the latter but I'm just makin' sure

Edited by moneyobie

It's the 2nd one; unless the 1st one is more likely to fit whatever it takes to get you to feel good about (and complete) your FM... then it's surely the 1st one.

IOW, everyone is going to vote the way they vote for reasons of their own. Best thing, if you really want to win, is to make a good (or great) mission. Me? I'm going to vote on how good the mission is. If it happens that I can't decide I bewteen a couple of mission I will give a nod to the cleverest use of 'Season-ing'...

I think that if you have a good time making the mission -- and by that I mean you aren't rushed, constrained, overwhelmed, trying to hard to win, defenestrating... -- then you'll do great.

Edited by Aprilsister

It's the 2nd one; unless the 1st one is more likely to fit whatever it takes to get you to feel good about (and complete) your FM... then it's surely the 1st one.

IOW, everyone is going to vote the way they vote for reasons of their own. Best thing, if you really want to win, is to make a good (or great) mission. Me? I'm going to vote on how good the mission is. If it happens that I can't decide I bewteen a couple of mission I will give a nod to the cleverest use of 'Season-ing'...

I think that if you have a good time making the mission -- and by that I mean you aren't rushed, constrained, overwhelmed, trying to hard to win, defenestrating... -- then you'll do great.

Hey Aprilsister, I appreciate the tips and agree with your last paragraph :)

I don't really care if I win or not, and would intend to make what I want to (something that rocks buttholes while happening to more/less meet the specifications because I was planning on doing something similar anyway), but for the sake of a more perfect understanding I would like to know if winning and rocking buttholes has a good chance of coinciding

From your post though it sounds like everyone who participates will be allowed to vote (for some reason I thought there was a panel of judges), which makes the idea of hard-set criteria for winning pretty moot

Edited by moneyobie

Hey, first time poster/long time lurker here (is it bannable to say that? should be)

Lurking in the shadows is actually a good trait to have ;)

-----------

each map gets it's own thread, and there will be a poll at the top. People will vote there and leave feedback. So you know which catagories you did well/bad in etc (1-5)...

Any registered forum user can vote. Players Choice. Of course knowing what players want helps, being good at it helps, standard fare really. I think the only rule really is don't vote for yourself and try to be fair. (typically no one gets 1's because everyone respects the fact that the effort involved in making a map deserves more than a horrible).

Best advice I can give to anyone learning/competing is just to stay small. Don't get carried away with a huge sprawling mission. Keep it small, make it interesting. You spread yourself thin and it gets hard to even finish, much less do a good job at it.

And don't be afraid to post for help, but the editor is pretty easy to use and the time frame is plenty to make a nice small mission if you stick to the basics.

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest

Baddcog, thanks for the run-down, that explains some things (I'll definitely try to make sure not to get carried away by making an epic mission)

I got one more quick [probably dumb] question: is it OK if I employ outside modelers like Maya/Blender instead of only using Dark Mod content (or, better put, how much Dark Mod content is required versus original content?) I obviously want to use a lot of DM content since it's a contest for the mod (and I think everyone did a great job on the mod), but I might want have a pretty unique locale/enemies. Presumably you can do whatever you want as long as you retain the basic weapons//gameplay/hud/etc., but I felt like asking a silly question, so

Lurking in the shadows is actually a good trait to have ;)

I'm glad to hear ir. Perhaps I've finally found my internet home where I can look "like some sort of raper [sic]" without being judged!

Edited by moneyobie

You can use any content you like, but of course, content modelled by blender etc. isn't reusable for other people (unless you make say individual houses vs. an entire street), so this might get you a point less from some people.

Also I'd advise you to start small - grand schemes usually fail due to the large amount of work involved, most of it is unexpected by the mapper (like setting up a shop, objectives, writing readables etc.) The editor supports you a lot (thanx to the great plugins like the readable editor!) but it is still a lot of work.

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

Denna gång ska du få stryk, Sotha! ;)

A challenge, eh? :) I do have a contest entry idea and the will and motivation to realise it, but I lack the most critical element: time.

When the contest is running I promise to check and consider if I have a tiny time segment to make a reeaally tiny mission for the other contest entries to beat. But only if I have time. Probably won't. I'll let you know.

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

Probably won't. I'll let you know.

O, um, ur...

I thought that said, "Probably won't let you know" (because, of course, what you're planinng on doing is entering under an alias a great little mission that we all know you can accomplish whilst you work on what appears to be your most ambitious project yet -- the FM you are working on and speaking to and about in your thread, with all it's enticing 'how do I do this' and 'this is what I did today' things...)

Did I read that wrong?

Am I just wishfully wistfully wishing wishes?

I coulda swore it said, "Probably won't let you know"... mutter... mutter... ...muttermutter

;)

The bad thing is that my huge project, NAOG, will be put aside for this contest. I strongly believe that I do not have the might to work on two large things simoultaneously, but then again, the entry to this contest doesn't have to be humongous...koinka helveti vaiikia se vojolla! (spelling?) :laugh:

No exciting rule change from the last contest. I used Glenham Tower's criteria as a template.

1) Gameplay: Enjoyment. Fun duration. Smooth flow, ect. Versus Bugs. Frustration, Boredom, framelag

2) Appearance: Seasonal use, Visual pleasure, lighting, visual style, deduct bad texturing etc.

3) Story & Text: Story. Text. Briefing. Graphic storytelling

Ranges from Poor to Near Perfect