Example Entrant Poll  

11 members have voted

1. 1. Seasonal Theme captured?

• No Season defined?
    • Barely defined Season
    • Season is clear nothing more
    • Season is captured well
    • Near Perfect, evokes the feel of the Season
  2. 2. Gameplay: Enjoyment. Fun duration. Smooth flow, ect. Versus Bugs. Frustration, Boredom, framelag?

• One Star
    • Two Stars
    • Three Stars
    • Four Stars
    • Five Stars
  3. 3. Aesthetics: Visual pleasure, lighting, visual style. Audio, use mood. Storytelling and consistency?

• One Star
    • Two Stars
    • Three Stars
    • Four Stars
    • Five Stars

I am glad you changed your mind about TDM.

believe me,I never changed mind about TDM,I liked it since I first have know about it and even after release.

but there some missions I critically dislike ,that's why people think that's I'm just trolling around...

Proceed with caution!

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

believe me,I never changed mind about TDM,I liked it since I first have know about it and even after release.

but there some missions I critically dislike ,that's why people think that's I'm just trolling around...

The problem is that you critically disliked ALL of them, as evidenced by your voting 1/5 in every category for almost every mission when you first started here. That IS trolling.

You seem to have lightened up a bit and have voted intelligently for the more newer missions which is good, but believe me people have not forgotten your attitude towards their stuff me included. I'll be looking at your map with the same critical eye that you used to judge the works of others and will be voting accordingly. Your mission better be the second coming or it's going to take all the man power in the world to get your foot out of your mouth.

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

The problem is that you critically disliked ALL of them

lie

as evidenced by your voting 1/5 in every category for almost every mission when you first started here. That IS trolling.

did someone ask me why I vote 1/5 in every category ? it wasn't trolling,it was my point of view

I'll be looking at your map with the same critical eye that you used to judge the works of others and will be voting accordingly

its ok,I have nothing against that

Your mission better be the second coming or it's going to take all the man power in the world to get your foot out of your mouth.

my mission ain't gonna be perfect and if someone vote for poor , I will just calmly ask what he or she dislike in it

Edited by Shadowhide

Proceed with caution!

So...

As far as mapper recruitment, the results are not looking promising.

The most interest appeared to be amongst the Quake3world crowd but the veterans there seemed burned-out on mapping and would only have interest if a prize were offered.

I think we should try and synchronize the rules of at least one of our next contests with MapCore. If one or more TDM missions were listed amongst the entries it would definitely up the exposure. The last MapCore contest was a 1024x1024x1024 cube contest. They were so used to UDK and Source maps that the Prey entry was a shock to their systems:

http://www.blog.radiator.debacle.us/2011/03/mapcore-cube-compo-done.html

I will keep a look-out on MapCore and if new rules are posted in time I will relay them here and elsewhere so the mission authors can try to enroll in both contests if desired.

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

Haha, I also feel quite burnt out at ideas for the moment...Almost a third of the time has passed and I've only worked for a few hours on the mission. For some reason I dont have the motivation for a new map when I have another project on the way :/ I don't want to kill somebodys confidence on this contest but for me, I'm afraid of totally burn myself out if I press on and finish my entry...

I'm swaying between being determined and producing a contest map and maybe be tired of mapping for a big while and maybe forget about the other mission...OR abandon the contest mission and instead work hard on my main mission; NAOG so that one will see the light of day, the mission that I (for the most part) is quite proud with...

unsure.gif

Haha, I also feel quite burnt out at ideas for the moment...Almost a third of the time has passed and I've only worked for a few hours on the mission. For some reason I dont have the motivation for a new map when I have another project on the way :/ I don't want to kill somebodys confidence on this contest but for me, I'm afraid of totally burn myself out if I press on and finish my entry...

I'm swaying between being determined and producing a contest map and maybe be tired of mapping for a big while and maybe forget about the other mission...OR abandon the contest mission and instead work hard on my main mission; NAOG so that one will see the light of day, the mission that I (for the most part) is quite proud with...

unsure.gif

Heh.. I do not recommend doing many maps simultaneously. You just burn yourself up and cannot get anything done properly. Make one map at a time, make it good, if you get cool ideas while mapping the one map, write them down and use them later.

It's just not worth it to burn yourself out. This is supposed to be a fun hobby, and not annoying tedious work.

The first few strokes on the canvas looked promising. I'm upgrading my contest entry inclination from 'definately not' into a 'maybe.'

Oh, and BTW: I am upgrading my contest entering 'maybe' into a 'definately yes.'

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

Heh.. I do not recommend doing many maps simultaneously. You just burn yourself up and cannot get anything done properly. Make one map at a time, make it good, if you get cool ideas while mapping the one map, write them down and use them later.

It's just not worth it to burn yourself out. This is supposed to be a fun hobby, and not annoying tedious work.

After a VERY calm night at work I've made some paper designs on the level and probably will push on, but this will be a very small level...Better to keep it that way :)

Oh, and BTW: I am upgrading my contest entering 'maybe' into a 'definately yes.'

Oh uh, I guess Sotha has came up with a killer floor plan or similar :)

Thank you, gentlemen!

I doubt this map is gonna win but I guarantee it will focus on fun sneaking and the genre basics, rather than being so heavily scripted map like the Transaction was.

Clipper

I think you should do another "new to dark radiant" contest in the future. Maybe one every half year? What do you think?

Ich konnte mich nicht erinnern Teleportation gezaubert zu haben und doch stand ich da... alleine und nackt.

I think you should do another "new to dark radiant" contest in the future. Maybe one every half year? What do you think?

Every half year contest does not sound feasable if you take into account how few mappers are entering this one...

Clipper

Yeah ok, a half year is too much but... if I would be completely new to DR, I think I would be to afraid to enter a contest like this and compare my noob skills with advanced mappers.

Well just a thought.

Ich konnte mich nicht erinnern Teleportation gezaubert zu haben und doch stand ich da... alleine und nackt.

Yeah ok, a half year is too much but... if I would be completely new to DR, I think I would be to afraid to enter a contest like this and compare my noob skills with advanced mappers.

Well just a thought.

I'm not sure if we have some people who would like to make their first map as a contest map. I would recommend against it since DR needs some time to learn and it is probably not very fun to learn the editor in tight contest-dictated schedule.

It is better for new mappers to start mapping right now, make a new map and pick up some DR skill at their own pace. And then, when they know the basics, they could easily enter a contest organized for fresher FM authors.

Clipper

same here... well there is only one :unsure:

• 2 weeks later...

This appears to be the current standing:

Sotha (Released!)

Jesps

Carnage

Ocn

Shadowhide

With a couple of "maybe" entrants:

Fieldmedic (unless your back in for sure)?

Midnight

moneyobie

Bikerdude???????

If I had given up already I had not spent any time fiddling with this new map; rather continuing with my regular project...I've left my hopes of winning, but damn Moses I will release a finished mission! :angry:

TDM is like a rollercoaster for the mood...

Edited by Fieldmedic

Thanks Fieldmedic. I hope that this turmoil is worth it :laugh:

~~~~~

It'd be cool to have you aboard Biker.

The number boost would help. But I understand that you already have a couple of projects brewing so there's no need to pressure yourself.

~~~

Good luck to all contestants.