The Dark Mod Forums

God I hate Vista...

Bikerdude

..and this is what I have to say about it

Warning strong language..

Hehe. I owe a lot of gratitude to Vista.

I used to be windows man, didn't use linux.

But years ago I bought a laptop which came with Vista. It was a slap in the face. It was true horror. In desperation I started to search for options. I needed the laptop to be useable for work.

Then I found linux. My eyes were opened! Working with computers could still be fun! Shortly after initial tests, all my computers are now linux machines. My main computer has windows XP as a game console with which I can play games. Linux I use for all other tasks.

Yep, without Vista, I would never have found linux and realized that computer using can still be a breeze of fresh air.

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

Lucky me made the transition even before there was any Vista . . .

. . . not saying there are no issues in Ubuntu, but still it is something to fall in love with. Like sotha I keep an XP around -- that's for games (though I think WINE would work as well in many cases, just didn't bother yet) and audio stuff (realtime . . .).

Hey, I recognize that voice from TDM! :)

The one thing that gets me about Windows machines is the maintenance. When I go use a family member's PC, not only do they require an AV solution that weighs the computer down like a stone, but I end up having to install a bunch of updates for various programs for them. The user is afraid to update things themself. You can't really hold it against the average user, because there are so many scams out there. Most average users can't even spot one of those fake Windows dialogue boxes that appear in a web browser window.

--- War does not decide who is right, war decides who is left.

worse thing about windows is that if you upgrade your machine too much microsoft want you to buy a new licence to use the newly upgraded machine, even if the two graphics cards have only cost you 80 quid, they want 160 quid for a new licence. and if your were on a budget of 100 quid then no upgrade and there's a chance your licence has been revoked anyway so you still have to buy a new licence to use your old hardware.

A couple years back a family member bought a brand new laptop that was pre-installed with Vista and had a "Vista Ready" sticker on it. It was ready for Vista all right, first time it booted up it Blue-screened and crashed. rolleyes.gif

My own main PC I built myself and made sure it was twice the recommended specs for Vista so I wouldn't have the same problems. I managed to keep Vista on there for about a year, suffering random restarts and major performance issues, before giving up and reinstalling Windows XP which hasn't given me any problems since re-installing. I've got enough computers that I plan to install Ubuntu on one of them and will be running OSX, Windows XP and Linux (hopefully with TDM running on all of them cool.gif).

and

is guaranteed to make you laugh.

"windows CEMENT" hahahaha

I love threads like this! absolutely love it.

It gives me hope and reassurance that there are people out there that truly hate that stinking malodorous heap of effluence call Vista as much as I do.

Thanks for the sharing the burden of its disappointment :)

It's strange, that even as a dedicated Linux fan, I don't actually find Vista that bad. Granted I'm not using it all the time (I only use it for games like many people), and I have had to re-install due to an unrecoverable black-screen-on-startup error, but then I've screwed up Linux installations in the past too, and I was pleasantly surprised by Vista's ability to re-install without totally wiping the hard drive.

The most annoying thing for me is the arrogant way in which it assumes that "shut down" or "log in" means "do whatever the fuck I want first, then shut down or log in when I'm ready". When I want to switch off my PC and go to bed, I don't want to wait an hour for it to slowly install updates one-by-one before it does so (an operation which takes minutes on Linux).

What I don't like (not saying this is the case here) is the hypocrisy of people saying W7 is the best thing while pissing on Vista. Both OSes are basically the same with a few cosmetic differences and different UAC warnings.

Hi

This may or may not be true, but for me, the differences between Vista & W7 are massive, even if that is only a perception. Here are some of my personal reasons what Win7 out of the box is better than Vista out of the box. I know you can spend hours with registry hacks and tweaks to try and polish the Vista turd, but at the end of the day it is still a turd.

My PC used to have Vista is now W7, the wife's laptop - which is a good spec is Vista still.

Boot up, to log in, to being usable is measured in seconds in W7, minutes in Vista. Same with shut-down.

The hard disk is not continually thrashed in W7.

Windows explorer does not make power users want to smash the freeking PC to bits in W7 by doing its best to never let users access the real file system.

Overall performance, such as game & program launch, operating speed and response is massively faster.

Explorer.exe process does not crash every 30 minutes with some exception.

Windows updates no longer get stuck installing the same update over and over again.

Overall user interface is more intuitive, things are where you expect them to be in W7 not hidden from you in case you hurt the computer like in Vista.

Oh, hundreds more.....

What I don't like (not saying this is the case here) is the hypocrisy of people saying W7 is the best thing while pissing on Vista. Both OSes are basically the same with a few cosmetic differences and different UAC warnings.

I kinda agree with this. My wife got a new laptop which came with W7.

I could bring myself to use it just enough to download a linux distribution, bulldoze some room in the HDD and then bye bye W7.

My brief usage showed that it was full of that same unpleasant things Vista was all about. You try to do something and there is constant popup messages bouncing on screen to hamper your progress in whatever you are doing.

"Your computer maybe at risk!"

"Do you want to learn how to use your laptop battery effectively?"

"Would you like to have autocomplete on?"

"Would you like me to remember your password"

"Would you like to reboot?"

"Hey! I'm a silly popup over at the taskbar and you can do nothing about me!"

"Would you like to reboot again?"

"This here process wants to do something. Would you like it to?"

"This here process wants to do something else. Would you like it to?"

"This here process wants to do something completely useless. Would you like it to?"

"This here process wants to simply annoy you to death. Would you like to?"

"Would you like to scream?"

*Shiver*

The sad thing is that M$ got our money anyway since there was no option to buy the laptop without CrapOS preinstalled. Why don't we customers have that option? Why do we accept this crap pushed down our throats?

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

Hi

This may or may not be true, but for me, the differences between Vista & W7 are massive, even if that is only a perception. Here are some of my personal reasons what Win7 out of the box is better than Vista out of the box. I know you can spend hours with registry hacks and tweaks to try and polish the Vista turd, but at the end of the day it is still a turd.

My PC used to have Vista is now W7, the wife's laptop - which is a good spec is Vista still.

Boot up, to log in, to being usable is measured in seconds in W7, minutes in Vista. Same with shut-down.

The hard disk is not continually thrashed in W7.

Windows explorer does not make power users want to smash the freeking PC to bits in W7 by doing its best to never let users access the real file system.

Overall performance, such as game & program launch, operating speed and response is massively faster.

Explorer.exe process does not crash every 30 minutes with some exception.

Windows updates no longer get stuck installing the same update over and over again.

Overall user interface is more intuitive, things are where you expect them to be in W7 not hidden from you in case you hurt the computer like in Vista.

Oh, hundreds more.....

Exactly, owning both I know the differences so no hypocrisy in loving one and hating the other. Sure, they both share the same base, but 7 is what Vista SHOULD have been.

EVERYTHING I did in Vista required permission, 'you sure you want to do that?' YES, 'Really really sure?' YES, 'last chance, it could cause problems', ARGHHHHH just do it already, I said YES!!!!!!!

Granted I had Vista home basic and now have 7 Pro, but I can format my HD's in minutes and swap space from partition to partition. Searching is fast and was slow as hell in Vista.

Swapping anything from disc/disc in Vista. First it had to read entire disc (say 500 MB), then it copied it, then it moved it... This could take a very long time. 7 just moves it.

Vista wouldn't let me install a bunch of old programs that I rely on. 7 installs them and they work fine.

Performance is better on everything in 7. Start up/shut down are really fast (very slow in Vista)

The list is endless. I hated windows ME, it crashed on me all the time. I liked XP a lot and it crashed very rarely. Same base OS.

So where is the hypocrisy in liking a product that works well and hating one that was deeply flawed?

I hate Nazi's but like Germans. Nazi's were Germans, just deeply flawed Germans.

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest

I use W7 at work, and although it's MUCH better than Vista, I'm still annoyed at UAC appearing far too often. Even if I right click an EXE and choose Run as Administrator I still get a UAC warning.

I hate Nazi's but like Germans. Nazi's were Germans, just deeply flawed Germans.

So what you're saying is that W7 is like the Swiss?

I'm just glad I got the Thief games to work in Linux. Now I wonder why I bothered installing XP at all. It requires a faster PC to play them in Linux, but a GTX460 is more than enough. I wouldn't try this on a geforce 2 or 3 though, even though those cards can tear through Thief 1 and 2 at hundreds of FPS.

The list is endless. I hated windows ME, it crashed on me all the time. I liked XP a lot and it crashed very rarely. Same base OS.

I need to correct you on that one. XP and ME had rarely any base in common. XP was based on 2k, which in turn was based on NT. ME was, like 95, a 32bit addition to a 16 bit DOS.

My Eigenvalue is bigger than your Eigenvalue.

Feel free to laugh, but I always really liked Windows 95. The UI was nice looking, but still simple and efficient. It ran like a jet on a AMD K6-2. Up until that point, the versions of Windows that I had seen were hideous looking IMO. The color scheme and fonts in 3.1 were just aweful for example.

I think the other reason I am fond of Win95 is because that was the first time I experienced true color on a PC. I also have memories of playing lots of Thief on that system too. lol

These were also the days before every company wanted to load an auto-updater whenever your PC booted and nobody was trying to slip toolbars in your browser.

Edited by lost_soul

Those were also the days where people would tell you "omg man go to www.goatse.cx its awesome" and you'd do it :P. I also have "fond" memories of Windows 98 shutting down without a problem, then when I turn it on next, it'd overwritten the start cluster to my games folder. Goodbye all my games.. got 2k pro after that and it was all good.

On topic... the thing I hate the most about ALL os's I've used... is focus stealing... you start something in the background, updates or installing something, then go to type a nice long email, or forum response.... suddenly, your install cancels or your computer reboots.... why? Because the little window popped up with hotkeys active the entire time, intercepted a 'c' 'e' 'a' or press of the enter key, and then shrunk again, leaving you mildly enraged that such a stupid 'feature' has made it through so many revisions with no way to turn it off (that I know of)

At least UAC never does this (on win7 at least, I skipped Vista), it just sits on the taskbar waiting for you to realise it's there.

Edited by Xarg

Intel Sandy Bridge i7 2600K @ 3.4ghz stock clocks
8gb Kingston 1600mhz CL8 XMP RAM stock frequency
Sapphire Radeon HD7870 2GB FLeX GHz Edition @ stock @ 1920x1080

On topic... the thing I hate the most about ALL os's I've used... is focus stealing...

I was about to post this myself! Focus should not be global but only set within each program. Especially when you start a program or document loading you know takes 20 or 30 seconds to load then start typing in another program. Even important 'force on top' warning messages don't need to steal focus. I can't think of a situation where programs need to force focus from one program to another.