The Dark Mod Forums

Add-On: Black Light (AKA "Pimp My Visuals")

Tels

Someone in the internal thread said this was the case for T2...

There was no splinter particle when you pulled an arrow out in T2. Who said that? :) Maybe they imagined it. There's also not one when you shoot an arrow into wood in T2. I just barely fire T2 up to confirm this, and sure enough there is no such thing.

When you pull a rope arrow out of wood in T2, there is a 'rope turning to dust' particle, but that is a thing of magic! :) Perhaps that is what they were remembering.

So I guess "Tel's Visual Enhancement Pack" is out, then? :P

I actually dislike the written "Tel's" form, even it is grammatical correct. And "Enhancement" reminds me on "male enhancement" spams. And "Pack" reminds me on that infamour "Windows Plus Pack". Otherwise, neat idea :D

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

Effron Borgnino is a perfectly good name.

I had to google that, as I didn't know what it is supposed to mean. But heh, the guy is cool :P

Anyway, can we please get back on topic?

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

I actually dislike the written "Tel's" form, even it is grammatical correct. And "Enhancement" reminds me on "male enhancement" spams. And "Pack" reminds me on that infamour "Windows Plus Pack". Otherwise, neat idea :D

Isn't the grammatically correct form "Tels' whatyamacallit"? Anyway, I would think something like "Tels' Particle Pack" would be more suitable since all the enhancements make use of particles. Or for those fond of alliteration, "Tels' Progressive Projectile Particle Pack".

Oh, no, not another "this might be a cool feature" idea... *sigh*

Also a planned playertool addition: The sarcasm detector.

EDIT:

Anyway, currently the code of TDM does not support this, so this discussion is moot until someone adds the possibilty to start an FX when an object is picked up. :) I think having this possibility itself is useful, whether we use that immidiately, or not. There are lots of people who can create and use FX, but there are only a handful of people who can add the code to TDM.

We could copy/paste the code I wrote to launch a particle effect when the sword hits something, it should be pretty generalizable. Or just do it in soft-code with scripting. There is an option ot run a script when things are picked up, I believe. But we're still missing a wood dust or splinter particle effect.

Stay tuned for my upcoming update, "Blue Steel."

Also a planned playertool addition: The sarcasm detector.

I'd be more interested in a "Overcome Language Barrier" add-on.

Isn't the grammatically correct form "Tels' whatyamacallit"?

Yes, my bad.

:laugh:

I'd be more interested in a "Overcome Language Barrier" add-on.

Okay, I will attempt to communicate as clearly as possible. When several people said:

I thought this would be about...

Ditto. I was hoping...

Re: Black Light, I thought this was going to be about...

They were referring to the fact that the title of the thread (which is what you see before you click on the thread to read it), was not that descriptive of the actual contents. Note that the phrases "thought," and "was hoping," are all written in the past tense. These people did in fact read the description of the add-on, and do not still think it is something else. Speaking for myself, I was attempting to lightly poke fun at a thread title I thought was a bit pretentious and non-descriptive. This is not an attack on you, personally, just the comical situation of having a non-descriptive thread title and wondering what it might actually be before one clicks on the thread. If I were to hypothetically release a training with more involved melee training, I would call it "Improved melee trainers," and not (unfortunately) "Blue Steel."

Okay, I will attempt to communicate as clearly as possible. When several people said:

Heh, thanx! That's now clear to me, next time please do it like that from the start :)

They were referring to the fact that the title of the thread (which is what you see before you click on the thread to read it), was not that descriptive of the actual contents. Note that the phrases "thought," and "was hoping," are all written in the past tense. These people did in fact read the description of the add-on, and do not still think it is something else. Speaking for myself, I was attempting to lightly poke fun at a thread title I thought was a bit pretentious and non-descriptive. This is not an attack on you, personally, just the comical situation of having a non-descriptive thread title and wondering what it might actually be before one clicks on the thread. If I were to hypothetically release a training with more involved melee training, I would call it "Improved melee trainers," and not (unfortunately) "Blue Steel."

Yep wink.gif I thought this whas something about a dark bom/mine or a add on of dark lights or something like it huh.gif

But after reading the first post i still think the add on is cool and will try is out cool.gif (but wood splinters for pulling out an arrow blink.gif don´t think i´l endors that sad.gif )

Obsidian Spectrum2: TelBow 'N' Arrow GFXgasm 1.0 Beautification App-on

As I posted I saw this:

"An Egyptian man has decided to show his appreciation towards Facebook for its role during the revolution in his country by naming his firstborn daughter Facebook."

Edited by jaxa

• 4 weeks later...

I have updated the add-on to v1.01, this version adds some flowing-upwards sparklings to fireflames and torches, as well as heathaze (distorted air) over the flames. Size 25599 bytes.

http://www.bloodgate.com/mirrors/tdm/pub/add-ons/tels_tdm_black_light.pk4

Enjoy!

I have updated the add-on to v1.01, this version adds some flowing-upwards sparklings to fireflames and torches, as well as heathaze (distorted air) over the flames. Size 25599 bytes.

http://www.bloodgate...black_light.pk4

Enjoy!

Thanks! Finally had some time to check this out. Looked very nice, I'm certainly gonna keep this. Makes using special gear more fun as it looks cool in addition of it being useful.

It might not necessarily be an addon problem, but if I shoot a firearrow to the ground, there is no big explosion. If I fire the projectile at an AI or at a wall, there is a big neat explosion. If shot at ground there is a brief red flash and nothing else. Is it only me?

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

Thanks! Finally had some time to check this out. Looked very nice, I'm certainly gonna keep this. Makes using special gear more fun as it looks cool in addition of it being useful.

:wub:

It might not necessarily be an addon problem, but if I shoot a firearrow to the ground, there is no big explosion. If I fire the projectile at an AI or at a wall, there is a big neat explosion. If shot at ground there is a brief red flash and nothing else. Is it only me?

Last time I tested it, this worked, is this with or without this add-on? Also, where did you shoot it into the ground, maybe on a patch vs. brush?

Edit: In some cases brushes too thin make it possible for arrows to travel through them, in this case you get "out of world" warnings in the console. In this case, however, you wouldn't get the brief red flash etc either. So this is not this problem :)

However, I could now at last a bit reproduce this, shooting multiple firearrows and suddenly the explosions vanish, onyl if you wait for all of them to clear they re-appear. I wonder what this problem is?

Hm. I shot a single firearrow at a straight brush floor 8 units thick. But the floor has been optimized by dmap and there is endless void below it so technically it isn't 8 units, right?

Could it be an angle thing? When arrow hits the ground at a certain angle, the particle bells and whistles are spawned in the void and omitted?

Also gas arrows behave occasionally weird with both vanilla tdm and this addon: sometimes the gas cloud is flickering. The flickering is always occuring if I do the following. Place the ai playing cards prefab, shoot at the table in the middle of the AI to get all of them caught by the gas.

And finally, if the gas arrow is shot at the ground so that you try to get a patrolling Ai to walk in the resulting gas cloud, the AI could just march through the cloud unaffected. Again, has the gas stim not been spawned because of hitting the floor?

I know these are not necessarily this addon things, but I found these while playing with the special arrows. Good to report them somewhere if they aren't known...

Clipper

Hm. I shot a single firearrow at a straight brush floor 8 units thick. But the floor has been optimized by dmap and there is endless void below it so technically it isn't 8 units, right?

"technically", the floor is a very very thin sheet of solid material :)

The effect that things appear non-solid happened always to me with walls, and in test missions, but I am not sure if it wasn't a dmap-thing. F.i. the sleeper testmap had a non-solid wall, even the player could walk through it, water arrows passed through it etc. Nothing except making the affected outside wall bigger fixed the issue.

Could it be an angle thing? When arrow hits the ground at a certain angle, the particle bells and whistles are spawned in the void and omitted?

I am not sure, needs more testing. It looked to me more like a "too many particles" thing.

Also gas arrows behave occasionally weird with both vanilla tdm and this addon: sometimes the gas cloud is flickering. The flickering is always occuring if I do the following. Place the ai playing cards prefab, shoot at the table in the middle of the AI to get all of them caught by the gas.

The flickering is something else entirely AFAIK.

Also, in both cases, is the S&R effect spawned? This can be confirmed by using (forgot the name). Also there is "g_showEntityInfo", then you see the entity that is spawned outlined. The smoke is a particle that should be coming from a particle emitter.

And finally, if the gas arrow is shot at the ground so that you try to get a patrolling Ai to walk in the resulting gas cloud, the AI could just march through the cloud unaffected. Again, has the gas stim not been spawned because of hitting the floor?

I have not tried this. But it should be possible to enable a debug drawing of the stim.

I know these are not necessarily this addon things, but I found these while playing with the special arrows. Good to report them somewhere if they aren't known...

True, good finding!

• 2 weeks later...

How far down are you looking when you say you're shooting the ground? Like straight down between your feet? AFAIK, there is still a lightgem issue that makes particles invisible within a certain cone that extends downwards around the player. Maybe that's the cause?

How far down are you looking when you say you're shooting the ground? Like straight down between your feet? AFAIK, there is still a lightgem issue that makes particles invisible within a certain cone that extends downwards around the player. Maybe that's the cause?

No, not at my feet. Looking down few degrees from horizon line. The fire arrow hits the ground 5-10 meters from me.

Clipper

No, not at my feet. Looking down few degrees from horizon line. The fire arrow hits the ground 5-10 meters from me.

The particles also disappear when you shoot it 20..30m far away, regardless on whether its a patch or a brush. The particles are actually there (if you noclip through the floor, you see them playing), I just suspect their origin is just ever so slightly outside the player PVS area inside the floor.

• 3 months later...

I have updated the add-on to v1.02:

* heathaze and rising sparks now follow world gravtity, instead of being fixed to the particle-direction. That makes them look correct for moveable torches, as well as torches/flames attached to AI

* candles now have a small heathaze simulating the hot,rising air distoring the view behind it

http://www.bloodgate.com/mirrors/tdm/pub/add-ons/

Enjoy!