The Dark Mod Forums

Questions From Garreth

Garreth

No need to re-install. If you zip the lot up and upload them somewhere and post the url or pm the url then I'll take a look. You need to include in the zip:

All the icons and their folder paths.

All the models and their folder paths.

Your test map.

Also (if any)...

Any new material textures and their folder paths.

Any new material files and their folder paths.

Any new def files and their folder paths.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

O sry i already reinstalled, all is working fine now, realy cool stuff the images work pefect, and now i have a particle viewer in DR and TDM is getting real refined with the latest update especialy the auto mission downloader.

Nice work

I must have messed up some files, some way, by doing a hard shutdown, i am working from a 2.8 single core, so sometimes it hangs when i render to much stuff at once. It hangs ingame that is, and only on not well portalised area's, like the appartement building, i need to close some windows off with drapes to prevent all portals from being open when standing infront.

Taf you, you taffin taffer

I have 20 new loot items should i just prefab them and put them in a map for upload?

And if anyone has ideas for loot plz tell me, i made a lighter a crown a box, a smaller box, a pyramid thingy, catholic cross, hexagram, katana swords loot, and a bunch of gems.

out of inspiration for now.

Things to remember:

• Most textures don't need speculars
  • Create DDS for your diffusemap and specularmap.
  • Keep TGA version of your diffusemap and specularmap.
  • Create a TGA version of your normalmap (uncompressed, no RLE).
  • Create a JPG editor image (max. 256px)

I have made painting tga's on 1024x1024 uncompressed, can i just use these, without difuse or specular, just the texture with a material shader, and where do i set that?

First, this is likely complicated to explain so I need to research it and come back later.

Second, my explanation for loot defs might be relevant. I accidentally posted that on the wrong thread so I'll move that to below.

I'll come back later about paintings.

This is the post I accidentally posted on the contributions thread...

Nice loot Garreth. You could probably make some useful non-loot models as well! Here's a better way to package them and make them available as normal loot if you do any more packs.

Instead of prefabs, here's how to make new defs so the loot shows in the entity list along with the other loot...

[edit]Note: Avoid spaces in path and file names etc because I don't think Doom3 likes them. Use underline instead.

Create a new plain text file eg, lootpack1.def and it should go in a folder called def in the darkmod folder.

Paste the following in then change and copy and paste for each new one you add......

//==================================
// Loot Types:
//==================================
// 0 = No loot item (default)
// 1 = Jewels/Gems
// 2 = Gold
// 3 = Goods

// I can put a comment after two slashes if I want

// STATIC LOOT. Use for eg, necklace, coinstack, etc. anything floppy that would look odd if knocked around.

entityDef loot_
{
"inherit"			    "atdm:loot_base"
"editor_usage"			""
"model" 				"models/lootpack01/loot/jewellery/silver_egg.ase"
"inv_loot_value"		"100"
"inv_loot_type"			"3"
"inv_icon"				"guis/assets/hud/inventory_icons/loot_silver_egg"
}

// MOVEABLE LOOT. Use for anything that can get bumped around no problem, eg, sword...

entityDef atdm:moveable_loot_silver_egg 
{
"inherit"			    "atdm:moveable_loot_base"
"editor_usage"			"a silver egg"
"skin"					"loot_vase_old"
"model" 				"models/lootpack01/loot/jewellery/silver_egg.ase"
"clipmodel"				"models/misc/clipmodels/silver_egg_cm.ase"
"inv_loot_value"		"75"
"inv_loot_type"			"3"
"snd_bounce"			"tdm_impact_steelplate_01"
"mass"				    "0.70"
"bouncyness"		    "0"
"inv_icon"			"guis/assets/hud/inventory_icons/loot_silver_egg"
"spr_object_hardness" "hard"  //can be hard or soft.
"spr_object_size" "small"	// can be small (ring), medium (plate), or large (cratefull of loot!)
}

All moveables, whether loot or not, need a collision model (cm) which is a very simplified shape. These are mostly built into models made in external programs but it is possible to make a separate cm in Dark Radiant. Here's how:

•  
  • Drag a brush close around your model in DR.
  • Cut off some corners to make it very roughly the shape of the model.
  • IMPORTANT: You cannot have more then TEN sides. (see later)
  • Give it the texture common/collision
  • Menu > scripts > export ASE > models/misc/clipmodels/name_cm.ase"
  • In the def file you need to give it the spawnarg clipmodel with that model, eg,
  • "clipmodel" "models/misc/clipmodels/silver_egg_cm.ase"

Tip: If you want a roughly rounded shape like an egg there is a problem. If you start with a cube it already has 6 sides. From top view if you cut off the 4 corners you already now have 10 but it looks like a drum. If you turn it sideways and try to cut off anymore it will crash. So instead do this: Create the cube then from top view rotate it 45 degrees first. Now from a side view cut off the corners

post-400-129913989403_thumb.jpg

Remember you can make these moveables even if it's not loot then carry them, throw them around in-game, a bucket, a spade, whatever. (There are custom entities in darkmod/items/custom for three types.

Now as to packaging:

•  
  • Make it a zip (I don't think doom3 accepts 7z) then change the suffix to .pk4.
  • Put the folders directly in the zip (not inside another folder) So in the zip you just see the folders dds, def, etc.
  • Name it say lootpack01.pk4
  • Now mappers can just drop that in their darkmod folder and it works immediately so they can select from the entity list. Of course, they need to extract them later to include with their released FM or if they use a lot of the loot they can just drop the loot pk4 inside their own pk4.

I hope you do more Garreth.

Have you made completely new painting models or do you just have some art? The easiest way is to use the existing models. If so probably the best way is to

pick one with a frame you like

Extract its dds from the pk4 (probably wall decoration or similar)

Convert to tga

In a paint program paste your art to replace the art keeping the frame on the right side

Save

Find the materials files in the pk4s (wall decoration or similar)

Find the one with the material for your original one (eg if you picked the frame from painting01 then find that one)

Copy the def and paste it into a plain text file eg, paintings02.mtr and put it in a materials folder

Modify it for your texture.

Here's an example of painting01. You would need to give the header a new unique name then replace painting01_d with your own (plus editor image of course.) Leave the bumpmap and specularmap unchanged because they basically work on the frame and canvas.

painting01 [CHANGE TO EG, mypainting99]
{
qer_editorimage	models/darkmod/props/textures/painting01_d_ed [CHANGE eg mypainting99_d_ed]
wood

diffusemap	models/darkmod/props/textures/painting01_d[CHANGE eg mypainting99_d]
bumpmap		models/darkmod/props/textures/painting01_local [DON'T CHANGE]
specularmap	models/darkmod/props/textures/painting01_s[DON'T CHANGE]
   {
       if ( parm11 > 0 )
       blend       gl_dst_color, gl_one
       map         _white
       rgb         0.40 * parm11
   }
   {
       if ( parm11 > 0 )
       blend       add
       map         models/darkmod/props/textures/painting01_d [CHANGE]
       rgb         0.15 * parm11
   }

// TDM Ambient Method Related 
{							
	if (global5 == 1)		
	blend add				
	map				models/darkmod/props/textures/painting01_d		[CHANGE]
	scale			1, 1		
	red				global2	
	green			global3	
	blue			global4	
}							
{							
	if (global5 == 2)		
	blend add				
	program	ambientEnvironment.vfp	
	vertexParm		0		1, 1, 1, 1		// UV Scales for Diffuse and Bump	
	vertexParm		1		1, 1, 1, 1	// (X,Y) UV Scale for specular		
	vertexParm		2		global2, global3, global4, 1	

fragmentMap		0		cubeMap env/gen1				
	fragmentMap		1		models/darkmod/props/textures/painting01_local			// Bump				
	fragmentMap		2		models/darkmod/props/textures/painting01_d			// Diffuse		[CHANGE]	
	fragmentMap		3		models/darkmod/props/textures/painting01_s			// Specular			
}
}

Find the skins for the paintings in the pk4s

Extract the one that uses your original

Copy the one you want

Create a new plain text file eg mypainting.skin and put it in a skins folder

Paste in the skin def and change it eg,

skin mypainting99
{
model models/darkmod/decorative/wall/painting01.lwo
model models/darkmod/decorative/wall/painting01_m.lwo
model models/darkmod/decorative/wall/painting01_l.lwo
model models/darkmod/decorative/wall/painting01_tearable.lwo
model models/darkmod/decorative/wall/painting01_m_tearable.lwo
model models/darkmod/decorative/wall/painting01_l_tearable.lwo

painting01 painting02	[CHANGE painting02 to your material def name]
tdm_painting_empty textures/common/nodraw
}

I think the above is selectable immediately either as a static painting or as loot.

I was thinking of making bigger paintings with just textures, make that model into loot and povide matching frames with it, since all paintings will be different sized i was thinking about doing 100 at a time and just make it into a prefab package then zipped to pk.4 like other loot and simply keep the frames as models. It will take slightly longer to place one painting but they will cover a entire wall with a rembrandt.

But i cannot find the right path to put my textures in, they simply do not show up in the editor i tryed reloading shaders moving the textures to doom3, doom3 base,darkradiant folder nothing makes em show up in the dropdown.

I can redo them with specular but then i need to know where to put hem to see them in game.

Thesame for sounds where do i put these, i cannot seem to find a path that makes hem show up in the darkradiant selection menu. There should be a short wiki thing showing exact paths and format type of media.

I always feel like i am trying stuff instead of exactly knowing the path.

There is a bug currently in Dark Radiant which makes some model textures not show in the editor so maybe you are doing it right.

There is info about textures and sounds on the wiki but it's a matter of finding exactly what you want; not always easy.

•  
  • tga textures go in the textures folder (or subfolder within it.) (editor should be jpg and bumpmap must be tga.)
  • dds textures go in the dds folder (or subfolder within it.) (diffuse and specular.)
  • materials go in the materials folder.
  • Sound files go in the sounds folder (or subfolder within it.)
  • Sound shader files go in the sounds folder.

If a painting is to be the size of a wall, ie, a mural, then it's best as a texture not a model and probably should be very large, more like 4096 x 4096. I stretched a small one on a ceiling in Heart but it would likely look bad close up.

The only bump and specular for the art is likely to be the canvas backing so that can be shared by all the art.

I want to make a horse cart ride, but i want it to triggered on arrival, when i jump on the cart the cart should move by itself, without frobbing, the entire thing is a rotating door.

Can i use trigger once to make the (door open) cart move?

And how do i use that?

Did you know you can only have one entity type at a time standing on a moving platform, took me a day figuring that one out.

ohmy.gif

During dmapping

map has no outside

ass no entitys inside warning

I ahd not saved my work seperatly... so i need to fix this.

problem spawning world entity, when i try to map

i tryed to create thesame kind trigger to a speaker, then this error came along.

deleted all recent entity's that did not work. and there is no pointfile.

AAAA

Edited by Garreth

First do a new name back up now even though its broke it might get worse before it gets better. ;)

Click on a wall or something that you know should be worldspawn. Does it say worldspawn in entity inspector? If not, then right click ortho view and select revert to worldspawn. dmap again and check.

Brushes are still worldspawn.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=88XGEWMZ

Maybe someone can look, i think it has to do something with a rat i deleted, that thing made trouble after deleting before.

Now with making a trigger entity something must have been messed up, one of the triggers did not gave a trigger texture and was unable to be changed so i deleted that, maybe it is that. I placed another rat to try to fix things, but i think that one dissapeared.

Edited by Garreth

8192 but some entities such as arrows are spawned during the game so less than that actually in the map. We've also found that in practice by the time a map has about 4000 it is generally complex enough for other reasons that it starts producing malloc (memory allocation) errors during dmap and doom3 requires an extra patch which may not work on all systems. To my knowledge nobody yet has produced a map with much more than 5000 although possibly Tels has with his SEED system? But they may be simple test maps.

8192 but some entities such as arrows are spawned during the game so less than that actually in the map. We've also found that in practice by the time a map has about 4000 it is generally complex enough for other reasons that it starts producing malloc (memory allocation) errors during dmap and doom3 requires an extra patch which may not work on all systems. To my knowledge nobody yet has produced a map with much more than 5000 although possibly Tels has with his SEED system? But they may be simple test maps.

http://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php?title=Entity_limit

SEED can easily push near 8000 entities, in fact, it has a limit build-in to stop spawning entities when it gets over 8000. As long as you have enough memory (and/or the entities are simple), it will work.

The memory is limited to 3Gbyte (on Windows 2Gbyte) per 32 bit process, and since D3 is a 32bit process, this limit applies. As Fidcal said, bit maps like Heart (~3600 entities) already use about 1 Gbyte, so adding more entities can cause memory problems.

Not due to the entity per say, it is something different if you add, f.i. 1000 non-solid grass particles, or 1000 trees with a CM (each of them gets their own copy).

In the future we will surely reduce the amount of memory needed per entity, even if it is just because we want maps to load faster, but for now try to keep your entity count under 4000.

Tipps on how to do this:

* combine multiple func_statics from map geometry into one func_static

* combine multiple func_statics with models by using a SEED entity and target one of then, then add "seed_watch_brethren" on that entity

* use SEED to spawn "combined entities" instead of planting f.i. 100 mushrooms yourself

* use a skybox with decals, instead of putting in real entities in a far distant place

* build a smaller map (often less is more)

* and as a last resort, consider a campaign :)

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

But note when combining func_statics not to overlap visportals. This is even true even within one leaf. What I mean is, in one FM there was an L shaped room with the door in the 'inside arm' of the L. All the beams in the room were one func_static. Even with the door shut and the visportal closed all the beams were visible outside with showtris because they extended beyond the visportal even though they were within the sealed leaf! The solution was to make the beams two func_statics - one in each arm of the L.

I am also unsure of performance and rendering issues if for instance you had say, all the trim around a room all one func_static. So you are in the middle and can only see one wall. Presumably all the rest of the func_static behind you is 'processed'.

I only have 800 entity's currently, i estimate on 2000 when it is finished.

I made a puzzle now, i need to make some floor tiles fall down when stepped on i know there are many ways of doing this like a fast elevator then trigger it but i need something else i guess, since i will be doing alot of em.

What kind of entity stays suspended untill touched?

It is a big sized chess puzzle above hell, you will love it, if you like chess...

Edited by Garreth

Thx for all the help

But i keep bumping into problems,

i got a warning, the platform is not killing me and the zomby's refuse to walk on the patch

how many doom units should the platform move to have me killed, or how many doom units p/s can the player fall?

And can he die falling on a patch? since the zomby's refuse to walk on it i wonder if it is a worthy floor.

The maximum the player can fall without any damage is 186 (last time I checked anyway.) But that is only damage. To be completely killed depends on how much health you have. You need to test. Just create a high ramp and jump off the side at different positions to see when it kills you with normal full health. Falling on a solid patch will kill the player as much as a brush, stone is stone, metal is metal, wood is wood - they all hurt no matter whether brush or patch.

AI only recognize worldspawn brushes so you need to put monsterclip brushes just below patches. If the patche curve it's OK if the monsterclip comes out on top a little. In the picture below the monsterclip extends all over that grassy hill - some just below and some of protrudes through.

post-400-130021155018_thumb.jpg