The Dark Mod Forums

Fan Mission: Return to the City v2 (01/03/2011)

Bikerdude

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It will still help for him, Ive been using it since win7x86 when I only had 4Gb ram.

No I don't think it did. Read that guys quote from his website:

This very little tool patches x86 executables in order to let them have 4GB (instead of only 2) of virtual memory on x64 platforms.

That 4 GB patcher only works on 64bit Windows architectures, won't do anything on x86 (32bit) OSes.

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

In the strictess sense yes, but it allows doom3 to access more memory regardless of the OS. I have been useing the patched since win7x86 when I started working on maps that were so large that I started getting malloc errors when dmaping. The patcher above fixed that on both the x86 and x64 versions of windows.

You guys are confusing me, lol.

I do have win7 64, and Doom3 is x86 right? So I should use that also? (the Large address thing solved the problem already)

You're fine lol, Bikerdude and I are just having a conversation. :) I can't see Doom3 using more than 3 Gigs so the 4 GB patch won't help and could possibly screw with windows in weird ways.

Look guys your missing the point, OK!

Doom3 gets its knickers in a twist when it reaches 1.2Gb which it can easily do under any OS. the 4GB patcher dosen't just enable a program to address 4gb, in this case it allows Doom3 to go past the 1.2gb mark. So in BC's case it will allow him to compile the map under his current OS.

You got it... <_<

Doom3 gets its knickers in a twist when it reaches 1.2Gb which it can easily do under any OS. the 4GB patcher dosen't just enable a program to address 4gb, in this case it allows Doom3 to go past the 1.2gb mark. So in BC's case it will allow him to compile the map under his current OS.

You got it... <_<

LOL :wub:

You got it... <_<

I can confirm this. It works.

I was overwhelmed by how great this map looked, played and "felt".

I finally fixed the damned AMD/ATI skybox cockup with Fidcal's fix and it was perfect for this. I had a hell of a time figuring out the primary objective - as some other people had - but I got the hint from reading here and I can say now that I've explored pretty much every nook and cranny!

Top marks overall despite my problems. There's nothing to really find fault with - all the mantling is a DELIGHT - It's a real strength of The Dark Mod over the fussy system in Thief / Light engine and so having so many rooftops and bits of railing / scaffolding to clamber over was so delicious!

Loadout felt generous without being absurd, I got to blackjack and explore to my hearts content - a bit misled by some doors with handles which didn't open but not led too far astray.

The fiction was wonderful - finding all sorts of notes and such. It's a real pleasure imagining the story behind such things.

Thumbs up!

Edited by Glyph Seeker

"No proposition Euclid wrote,

No formulae the text-books know,

Will turn the bullet from your coat,

Or ward the tulwar's downward blow

Strike hard who cares—shoot straight who can—

The odds are on the cheaper man."

From 'Arithmetic on the Frontier' by Rudyard Kipling

Wow I was really behind with the loot even after a lot of roof climbing and poking around!

I was looking for a way to the cloisters for ages, oh well, roll on version 3.0!

So what was the optional objective? Were you supposed to do something with the note? I tried placing it on the fathers desk.

Truly impressive, fun, awesome mission!

I had finished it but missed a lot of loot and the optional objective, so I got a few hints here and got a lot more done.

but I still never found the two rubies the worker from the cloister scaffolding hid - do those exist somewhere? It's from the hint in the dungeon lockup ledger

This is a great mission to show off what the Dark Mod can do! I probably spent about four hours enjoying my time, THANKS!

shadowdark50.gif keep50.gif

I finally got around to playing a little TDM again. RTTC looks really even better than it used to. Very nice work you two. Most of the textures are excellent, though some contain reeeeeeeally strong directional shading, one red brickstone texture in particular. I can't stress enough how important it is, to get rid of directional shading of this degree. It just looks so weird when you stand there with your lantern out, looking at some bricks and they have completely black shadows on them, where there's supposed to be strong highlight.

But in general, I was more than impressed by the visuals. :)

• 1 month later...

Hey there,

to play this FM in 1.06 last night was awesome!!!! I have AA and AF up to highest and everything else that is possible except res (1280x720) and it ran soooo smoothly!!!!! Great Job Biker & Melan!!! Also Great Job @ 'The DM Improvers', no stuck AI or any annoyance/immersion-breakers and finally a working Stealth-score, so '0' is best, and I always thought I sucked with this value. :)

Too bad I played the old version, so I only spent two hours, but couldn´t figure out the bonus-obj. And there is still loot, as always.

Can you get to the City Guard that is patrolling high on the wall above the builder compound?

you find

some evidence about a certain noble and leave said evidence in the drop box on the cloister wall.

And regarding the cloister there are several ways into the place..

Drop Box? I had the idea to leave a certain

hastly driven note?

in the room with the explosives. Guess I was on the completely wrong track. Have to search for that box again, but I can´t remember such a thing or a save in the Builder Compound (I´m referring here to an earlier post of yours, Biker), just a save in the

noble´s basement.

Anyway, I´ll never forget this mission, so many memorable sights that build up atmosphere, DM-art! :wub:

-> Crisis of Capitalism

-> 9/11 Truth

->

(hard stuff), more

Regarding the optional objective - the noble your after ownes the building in the middle of the map.

It has two entry points, way up high(main street) and way down low(backstreet with long steps). The incrimination note is in the nobel's counting room (the one with a safe). You place this note in the dropbox in the wall of the cloister.

• 3 months later...

I am 135 gold shy of the total. I'm at a loss where else to look in this great mission.

EDIT: Now I am 55 gold remaining. I've combed this corner of the city over.

I found the ring high up on a windowsill, two rooms over one another near there, a secret stash under the floorboards of one of those rooms, the belltower room, the missing gems, all the goods in the noble's house and basement, the underground area in the small courtyard near the roof patrol. I've even managed to get onto places outside the map (such as on the roof of the building at the very beginning, where the stuck lever is).

Any hints where this last 55 gold is? Everyone is knocked out. In fact, I carried

the noble all the way to the cell with the dead guy, heh..

The only place I can think to try again is

the belltower area, as there is a ladder in there that leads up to what looks like a trapdoor, but which is unfrobbable and does not respond to my lockpicks. Or is this skull mentioned something I should be finding? I see lots of skulls, but nothing which is loot

Edited by ithel