The Dark Mod Forums

Fan Mission: Return to the City v2 (01/03/2011)

Bikerdude

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Entirely re-played from scratch this V2.0 with TDM 1.04: IMHO simply this is the best mission so far for TDM!

Best visuals for a city, best balance in gameplay. You can mantle to a *lot* of very high and secret zones, a joy to play with for a city mission!

And this V2.0 version is *really* smooth, i have a very good fps now.

I'd like to thanks Melan the creator for such a good mission (i'm waiting to play other missions by you!), and also the incredibile work done on optimisation by Bikerdude, now this mission is another experience.

Thanks guys! :-D

Edit: on the new download manager GUI (it's really AWESOME! thanks TDM Greebo and TDM crew!) the mission it's not flagged as an update* mission.

Edited by Ladro

Getting crashing in the builder area at the foot of the inside stairs. Happened twice so far.

Getting crashing in the builder area at the foot of the inside stairs. Happened twice so far.

No one else including the beta testers got thie, so it must be local to your pc. Reboot the pc and try the again, if still getting a crash, uninstall and reinstall the driver for your graphics card. What are you systems specs btw..?

No one else including the beta testers got thie, so it must be local to your pc. Reboot the pc and try the again, if still getting a crash, uninstall and reinstall the driver for your graphics card. What are you systems specs btw..?

Thanks , will try again later.

WIN 7 64 BIT ; AMD PHENOM 8600 TC PROCESSOR ; 2 GB RAM ; ATI RADEON HD 4500 GRAPHICS

Updating graphics today will let you know how I get on.

Edited by raymeld

Just completed this mission. Played it Ironman, got stealth score of 8, AI's looked around for me a few times, never saw me.

I'll start with the things I did not like:

Um...

Er..

Well..

There weren't really things I didn't like, so...

And then the positive things:

Splendid well working mission. One of the best we have. Gameplay is excellent, appearance is excellent, atmosphere is excellent. I didn't even have performance issues: the map ran smooth. Biker has indeed pulled off quite a magic trick here. What else can I say? Nothing really. Well done and THANK you for making this mission even more legendary. I only wish I was able to map something like this...;)

*Oh, excellent means near perfect in this grade you used. Best possible score from me.

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

Carnage: yes, the mission uses several textures from 1.04. Actually, potentially even some from 1.05. ;)

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

Ah great I'll update TDM then. Haha yeah I know NZ but my comp isn't connected to the internet so I always have to download the whole package and didn't have time for that yet :).

It should be possible to only download the differential package, but I am not sure. Technically, if the differential update file is already there, the updater should use it, instead of trying to download it again.

Edit: Also, the FM should really specify that it needs v1.04 to avoid this kind of situations. It can be set in the darkmod.txt:

Title: Illusionist's Tower
Description: Vertical contest map.
Steal fabolous (sic) treasure from abandoned tower, and find enough cash to pay off your over due rent.
Author: stumpy
Required TDM Version: 1.02

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

cool mission !

level design and architecture is visit card of this mission

too bad it still don't have any AI conversations and scripted events

my votes:

Gameplay: Enjoyment. Fun duration. Smooth flow, ect. Versus Bugs. Frustration, Boredom.-> good

Appearance: Visual pleasure, lighting, visual style.->near perfect

Story & Text: Story. Text. Briefing. Graphic storytelling->good

Proceed with caution!

Bravo biggrin.gifcool.gif !!! Melan & Bikerdude. I really enjoyed this mission. I had some minor issues with the first version but throughly enjoyed this one.

It felt so much more alive and real. I really loved the new areas to search, I often wondered what was behind some of the doors and walls in v1 now I know. I was really stumped on how to get the bonus objective even after you gave the clue to Berny. I'd found all I'd needed but just hadn't connected the dotslaugh.gif

I managed to get all the loot although with

the guard up on the wall took me a moment until I remembered inching along that tiny ledge to get there before. And by the way thanks for adding an easier path to the gargoyles. I fell so many times last v. trying to get up & down & around.wacko.gif

The only issue I had was it seemed a little bright but that was probably my computer and it certainly didn't detract from being able to play it at all. Was happy I was able to play this one on most difficult setting.

# On very low end PC's with a "Pentium"4 or "HD2400pro" that are even considered low for vanilla Doom3, I recommend that V-sync is off, AA is off, Aniso is 4x or lower and "Ambient rendering" & "interaction shader" are set to their lowest settings.

The game crashes anyway. :(

------------------------

Shutting down sound hardware

idRenderSystem::Shutdown()

Shutting down OpenGL subsystem

...wglMakeCurrent( NULL, NULL ): success

...deleting GL context: success

...releasing DC: success

...destroying window

...shutting down QGL

...unloading OpenGL DLL

------------ Game Shutdown -----------

--------- Game Map Shutdown ----------

--------------------------------------

Shutdown event system

--------------------------------------

malloc failure for 4194312

I've had malloc too and turning in the menu textures compression and normalmap compression to 'enabled' helped. Those settings in the menu were introduced in 1.04, right? They change these values in doomconfig:

seta image_usePrecompressedTextures "1"
seta image_useNormalCompression "2"
seta image_useAllFormats "1"
seta image_useCompression "1"

If that doesn't help, you can also try:

seta image_downSizeBumpLimit "512"
seta image_downSizeBump "1"

That will scale al the bumpmaps larger than 512 px down.

It's only a model...