The Dark Mod Forums

Disabling Catalyst AI

nbohr1more

Trunks, now that you mentioned it, it's the doom3.exe running. And after I renamed the original doom3.exe to "_doom3.exe", tdmlauncher stopped responding. It just didn't do anything. Interesting detail: When I open the renamed darkathena.exe's properties (under "Details"), the file description says "DOOM 3", original file name "Doom.EXE". When I try to strip the properties and personal information of the file, it says that I need permission of another user (my former WinXP account, before I switched to Win7) to be able to change file properties.

My Eigenvalue is bigger than your Eigenvalue.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Trunks, now that you mentioned it, it's the doom3.exe running. And after I renamed the original doom3.exe to "_doom3.exe", tdmlauncher stopped responding. It just didn't do anything. Interesting detail: When I open the renamed darkathena.exe's properties (under "Details"), the file description says "DOOM 3", original file name "Doom.EXE". When I try to strip the properties and personal information of the file, it says that I need permission of another user (my former WinXP account, before I switched to Win7) to be able to change file properties.

Try my method posted here.

Edited by Trunks0

-Trunks0

Asus Maximus Formula(X38) - Intel Core2Quad 8400 @ 3.2Ghz - 4Gb PC2-6400 OCZ Gold XTC/Corsair XMS2(@800mhz) -

16X8X16 DL 8X Pioneer DVR-111D DL DVD±RW - 320GB HD(Seagate 7200.10) - 640Gb Westerm Digital w/16Mb Cache -

2 x Crossfired PowerColor Radeon HD 5770's - Audigy2 - Windows 7 64

hi to all

also me had a lot of problems with tdm..i have an ATI 4750x2....ultra slow playing and reversed sky; sounds errors etc

I disabled AI from Catalist Pannel (without reinstalling drivers ecc) and now i can play at 1600*1200 full details and max texture ...just some problems with 16x AA...but if i put 8x AA it is ok!!!

thanks for your trick!!!

Just don't make the mistake to install a newer version of Catalyst if you don't absolutely have to. Without the feature to turn off Catalyst AI playing TDM becomes tedious work (see the beginning of this thread).

Just don't make the mistake to install a newer version of Catalyst if you don't absolutely have to. Without the feature to turn off Catalyst AI playing TDM becomes tedious work (see the beginning of this thread).

oook..understood!

but in case it is possible to download an old drivers and than disable AI...or not??

Probably. I haven't tried it yet. As far as I know, Cat 10.11 was the last Catalyst where you could disable CatAI (at least for Vista/7 64bit).

• 3 weeks later...

I've had the idea bouncing around in mu head to try and write a simple little C# sharp program to swap, in and out, the maps/save data. Making the work-around allot less complex. However, I don't really have the time to write it :(

Edited by Trunks0

-Trunks0

Asus Maximus Formula(X38) - Intel Core2Quad 8400 @ 3.2Ghz - 4Gb PC2-6400 OCZ Gold XTC/Corsair XMS2(@800mhz) -

16X8X16 DL 8X Pioneer DVR-111D DL DVD±RW - 320GB HD(Seagate 7200.10) - 640Gb Westerm Digital w/16Mb Cache -

2 x Crossfired PowerColor Radeon HD 5770's - Audigy2 - Windows 7 64

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I was having problems with stuttering and turning sky after installing a HD 5670 with 11.5 drivers. While 11.5 doesn`t have

a way to turn off Catalyst AI, I found that unchecking "Enable Surface Format Optimization" under Gaming/Catalyst AI. fixed both problems.

Ok, as I thought might happen I got directed toward the Catalyst crew feedback page...:angry:

- Catalyst crew feedback

So what I need everyone to do is fill out this form, as the more tickets are logged the higher up the priority list it will go.(Untill it gets to the point the driver team will be forced to look at it!) The text I filled out was as follows, but obviously change per what your system is etc. -

Can't disable Catalyst Ai! tick-box now replaced with slider with latest 11 series driver and Windows and HD5000/6000 series graphics cards.

----------------------------------

Tested 11.5/11.6 on Windows Xp/7 and HD3850 & HD5870. 

Catalyst control panel:
# with the 3850, cant disable Catalyst Ai via ccc under WinXp but not under Win7. 
# with the 5870 cant disable Catalyst Ai via ccc under WinXP or Win7. 

3rd party util (Radeon pro):
# with 3850 am able to use RP util under WinXp only to disable Cat Ai.
# with 5870 cant disable Cat Ai with this card under WinXP or Win7.

@nbohr1more, can you put this information in the first post please

@Forum mods, can you temporarily sticky this thread please, untill the issue is resolved.

post-496-131046978623_thumb.jpg

i read somewhere that setting the slider to high equals the disabled now..Tried it, and it did get better..but its still funky..at least not reversed..

This is kinda bullshit from them anyway..implementing a shitty feature that cant be disabled..

• 2 weeks later...

Update:

I found that if i run Dark Mod without loading AMD Vision Control Center, I get the crazy sky/ stuttering bug, no matter what my setting are. With the settings above and AMD Vision Control Center loaded, I get a good sky and no stuttering.

Update:

With the settings above and AMD Vision Control Center loaded, I get a good sky and no stuttering.

@Chill how did you disable Cat.Ai in AVCC..? can you post a picture and what Windows version and AMD gfx driver version your using atm.

I read this yesterday, but as its very very new information I wasn't entirely sure. So the premise is that is you don't install "Catalayst Control Center" (CCC) but rather AMD Vision Control Center (AVCC) you are again able to disable Catalyst Ai.

But, just had a look on AMD websites, cant I find any info relating to AVCC or a download link - they all say the driver or CCC.

Driver installed: 11-5_vista32_win7_32_dd_ccc_ocl. 56.6 MB file size.

Windows Vista 32 bit.

Catalyst Ai Settings in AVCC: Texture Filtering Quality: Performance (slider far left).

Enable Surface Format Optimization: unchecked.

Bikerdude: the above driver is what I installed. I`m using AVCC for all GPU controls; I don`t see any other control panels (CCC?). There is no

option to turn Catalyst A.I. off.

nbohr1more: correct.

I found that I need to have AVCC running to avoid sky and stuttering issues; no idea why.

the reason we asked for the above is because previously one had to disable Catalyst Ai to prevent the spinning upside down sky in doom/tdm. It seems the new control panel & settings do the same thing.

As I am currently building a new pc for someone I will be able to test this out first hand.

^_^

Today I turned Enable Surface Format Optimization back on under Catalyst AI and everything still ran fine (with AMD Vision Control Center running).

I even tried moving the Catalyst AI slider to the right (Quality) and things still ran fine. I think on my system that merely having AVCC running is what solved the weird sky/ stuttering problem.

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone found a way to get tdmlauncher to launch a renamed doom3.exe file ?

I tried the commandline but its not working.

I haven't lost my mind. It's backed up on disk!

Oops bad sectors damn floppy's!

• 1 month later...

Bikerdude:

The driver I have installed is: 11-5_vista32_win7_32_dd_ccc_ocl. This is for Vista 32 bit systems.

I downloaded it from this page: http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/windows/previous/11/Pages/radeon.aspx?os=Windows%20Vista%20-%2032-Bit%20Edition&rev=11.5

Reading the description, it says that it includes CCC. I see nothing about AVCC listed. Now i`m not sure where AVCC on my computer came from.

In device manager, this driver shows up as 8.850.0.0

Main page for newest drivers (11.8): http://sites.amd.com/us/game/downloads/Pages/radeon_win7-32.aspx#1

• 4 weeks later...

McPhisto2051 found a newer method:

hi, i was able to turn off the catalyst ai some mins ago:

i found something very useful with google and tried it myself:

1. In CCC set up your AA & AF settings, make sure that Catalyst AI is set to "High Quality", and make sure that the "Enable Surface Format Optimization" check box is unchecked before continuing. 2. Search for a file named 'Profiles.xml'. Mine was located here:

C:\Users\McPhisto2051\AppData\ Local\ATI\ACE\Profiles.xml

3. Right click on the file once the search is done and select "Edit".

4. Find 'CatalystAI' and change Enable to Disable

5. Now run the MOM.exe file. Mine was located here:

C:\Program Files (x86)\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\Core-Static\ MOM.exe

6. Restart your PC and you should be set.

Now you can use the latest drivers and CCC and disable Catalyst AI.

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)