The Dark Mod Forums

Disabling Catalyst AI

nbohr1more

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So I've updated to 11.6.

Whenever I have any post processing in view now, I go down to 2 or less FPS if Catalyst is turned on. I also get lots of random slow downs which drop me to 2 or less fps.

It used to be that the drivers would just make the sky and water look funny, but the ATI drivers are getting worse and worse for me.

Upon disabling though, everything appears to run great.

• 3 weeks later...

I got problems too..

I cant get the damned catalyst turned off.. i tried radeon pro and other tricks with no luck.

I read back in this topic that the problem should go whenever doom3.exe is not doom3.. so i thought.. is there an easy way to change the tdmlauncher so it uses doom3ati.exe or whatever so that it works with a renamed .exe?

I got problems too..

Have you tried the following..?

1) Remove Catalyst Control Center (removing all ATI drivers recommended then re-install just the Display driver)

2) Download and install "Radeon Pro"

http://forums.guru3d...ad.php?t=322031

3) Create a profile as follows:

If you're using RadeonPro, create a profile for the game you want to disable Catalyst AI. Right-click the newly created profile, keep left shift key pressed and choose Open Location on context-menu, this will open the profile's XML definition. Append a new line and add entry like this

<Property name="CatalystAI" value="0" /> Save the file and start the game. CatalystAI should be disabled. I also recommend to open ___GlobalProfile.xml (found on same directory where your profile is saved) and look for "CatalystAI" entry, it must be equal to "1" otherwise CatalystAI will be kept disabled after you exit your game. CFX disabled by setting CatalystAI to 0

Thanks, but yes as i stated just down one line further.. i tried it, and didnt work, ( it did use the profile correctly as an fps indicator also appeared, even tried it with the global settings set to disabled).

Hm , now it works fine! Looks like it needed a reboot or whatever..:) Finally... its been too long since i could play this with bloom on.

Edited by _Atti_

Hello,

I want to share with you my knowledge regarding this issue.

I couldn't fix this problem with spinning sky and upside-down screen on newer drivers for a long time. ATI tray tools and Radeon pro solutions didn't work for me. I was frustrated and quit playing TDM. Then I found somewhere that all you have to do is to set in control center Catalyst A.I. option to PERFORMANCE. The wise man said: "Performance = off". He was right. It wasn't logical to me but it works.

Try yourself.

Regards

Those are the latest drivers (Catalyst 11.10 ) which are considered to be in poor shape due to changes made for RAGE and OpenGL 4.2.

Try the Catalyst 11.8 drivers or earlier.

If that doesn't work, then try adding the steps that McPhisto2051 posted back in the previous page:

http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/12398-disabling-catalyst-ai/page__view__findpost__p__268247

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

• 2 weeks later...

The problem is, you need to use the tdmlauncher.exe to start TDM. However, the tdmlauncher.exe only recognizes the properly names doom3.exe. One would have to change the tdmlauncher.exe to allow for different file names. For example, if tdmlauncher.exe would accept the doom3.exe renamed into darkathena.exe, we could use the optimizations for opengl games without experiencing the bugs that the doom3 protile in catalyst has.

The main problem is, that AFAIK greebo is the nly one who can tinker with the tdmlauncher.exe's code. So unless he decides to do the changes, nothing will happen. At least that's how it was explained to me.

My Eigenvalue is bigger than your Eigenvalue.

I'm gonna test the new tdm launcher that greebo just built for steam users... It may fix this issue as well (command line executable specification)

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

Let me summarize my config and versions that work seamlessly with latest TDM (no spinning sky or any other glitches)

1. Catalyst 11.10 +Application profiles (not sure if it has any effect) and Catalyst AI on Performance

2.Radeon 6870 + AMD processor

3.Windows7

4. In TDM everything is On or maxed out.

I'm so happy that I found my working settings and I'm able to play this superb mod

I'm so happy that I found my working settings and I'm able to play this superb mod

Me too, I've been checking this forum periodically for new solutions, and Bikerdude's RP settings were the ones that finally worked for me.

(Catalyst 11.11, HD5450, AMD Processor & 64 bit Win7)

7upMan: Am I get you right: has someone experimented with renaming/copying/hardlinking of Doom3.exe? Did this work? If it so, then we should convince greebo to use this method in tdmlauncher.

Sorry, I didn't see your post before. Yes, I did experiment with renaming the doom3.exe, but TDMlauncher doesn't recognize it. This must absolutely be implemented in the tdmlauncher's code. Greebo is the only one who can do it. Tels will be offline for at least two weeks, and besides, he's a script guy, not a coder.

My Eigenvalue is bigger than your Eigenvalue.

And how about Orbweever..?

I am a coder, but not one who has worked on the launcher. I'm sure I could pick it up if greebo got hit by a bus, but he would be able to make the change much more easily. It's quite possible that if we do start compiling the game from source it will end up with a different exe name anyway.

Interestingly though, I have never actually had any difficulty disabling Catalyst AI, there is an option in the Catalyst control dialog which seems to do what it is supposed to. Maybe it is something AMD changed in a more recent driver version.

• 2 weeks later...