The Dark Mod Forums

Fan Mission: The Transaction by Sotha (2011/03/04)

Sotha

77 members have voted

1. 1. Gameplay: Enjoyment. Fun duration. Smooth flow, ect. Versus Bugs. Frustration, Boredom, framelag

• Poor
    • Tolerable
    • Good
    • Excellent
    • Near Perfect
  2. 2. Appearance: Visual pleasure, lighting, visual style, deduct bad texturing etc.

• Poor
    • Tolerable
    • Good
    • Excellent
    • Near Perfect
  3. 3. Story & Text: Story. Text. Briefing. Graphic storytelling

• Poor
    • Tolerable
    • Good
    • Excellent
    • Near Perfect

I'm about to play this jewel, let's see what the good Sotha crafted this time with his little golden hands :D

Task is not so much to see what no one has yet seen but to think what nobody has yet thought about that which everybody see. - E.S.

First Release Date 2010-03-04

I fixed it.

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

Hmm, Sotha, you know I'm a big fan, so don't take this the wrong way, but I think

forcing the player into combat in the first five minutes of the game is quite harsh. Combat is probably the hardest part of TDM...most people rarely do it, and the game is actually designed to encourage you to avoid it. Throwing players into a situation where they *must* fight is questionable from the start.

On top of that, a revenant is probably the toughest opponent in the game in hand-to-hand combat. So you're basically telling players that they have to do the hardest thing possible in the game, within the first five minutes, or they fail. There are no other options and no useful equipment (that I've seen). That's pretty hard-core. I predict a large percent of players will simply abandon the mission (or cheat) at that point (I know I've already failed to kill the rev twice in a row, and I'm pretty experienced with combat).

Even if they DO win, after killing a flaming lich-queen, isn't it going to be kind of anti-climactic to hide from drunken soldiers? I could see this being the final confrontation or something. But I'll reserve judgment on that until I see what actually happens later.

Still a fan, but I'm really curious about why you decided to put such a huge barrier up so quickly. :unsure:

At Springheel:

After killing the monster and trying to sneak through the streets, that thought did cross my mind. "I just killed the queen, so why not kill some guards too?" The fight was easy though as long as you use auto-block

and I still really enjoyed the mission.

--- War does not decide who is right, war decides who is left.

@Springheel

I died in that room too. However, not because of the lich. I used holy water and killed it easly. After that, the room filled with guards very soon. They blocked the exit, spotted me in the dark corner and finally killed me. In next try, I turned serial killer mod on. Up to that point I was sneaking very well, but then no choice to avoid killing everyone. Because you don't have noisemaker arrows too. There is only one chance that comes to my mind. After killing the queen, player should quickly lockpick the door and wait at upstairs. It's nearly impossible to finish the mission without saving imo.

If things are not pushed, how will we know what we can and cannot do? Things were pushed and pushed with dromed and the Thief FM's, same way it will be with TDM. Always playing it safe, avoid combat, that makes it too easy. Doesn't always happen, no. It is tough, but nothing the players can't deal with.

Hmm, Sotha, you know I'm a big fan, so don't take this the wrong way, but I think

forcing the player into combat in the first five minutes of the game is quite harsh. Combat is probably the hardest part of TDM...most people rarely do it, and the game is actually designed to encourage you to avoid it. Throwing players into a situation where they *must* fight is questionable from the start.

Unfortunate you didn't like it.

This game is primary about stealth. People have been used to it. I wanted to turn the tables and put the player in the situation where HE is surprised for a change. To do something different people are used to. Drive the player a bit away from their comfort zone. I still feel it was the good decision. People should practice a bit with the melee trainer.

On top of that, a revenant is probably the toughest opponent in the game in hand-to-hand combat. So you're basically telling players that they have to do the hardest thing possible in the game, within the first five minutes, or they fail. There are no other options and no useful equipment (that I've seen). That's pretty hard-core. I predict a large percent of players will simply abandon the mission (or cheat) at that point (I know I've already failed to kill the rev twice in a row, and I'm pretty experienced with combat).

The lich queen is not that difficult. All the player got to do is to land a single blow, which I could manage with very low amount of injuries without autoparry on. I'm puzzled how it can be so hard. Maybe you have melee difficulty set on expert?

Even if they DO win, after killing a flaming lich-queen, isn't it going to be kind of anti-climactic to hide from drunken soldiers? I could see this being the final confrontation or something. But I'll reserve judgment on that until I see what actually happens later.

Killing? You did read the scroll she left, did you?

Still a fan, but I'm really curious about why you decided to put such a huge barrier up so quickly. unsure.gif

I hope this answers some questions.

@swordbreaker:

The mission was designed evilly so that some time after the lich incident a customer arrives to the shop. (Murphy's Law). If the player has cleaned the shop room of all evidence of murder (weapons, bloodstains, bodies), the customer will just think the shopkeeper is away and leaves. If she spots something suspicious, she goes to fetch guards to solve the situation.

It looks like I made the mission too dynamic: there are too many things people are not used to. In many missions the player can just leave blood and bodies around and there will be no harm. I wanted to be an exception to this rule as well, as it brings in more guards.

At any rate: I still think I made the right decisions with the mission. It may try too much, perhaps, but there are many good things that sets this apart from any other missions there are at present. The biggest problem is possibly the things people are used to. This mission will bend those things a bit.

• Like 1

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

Great FM Sotha, really enjoyed it and love your way of telling stories.

before I took a seat I had the blackjack in my hand and after the queen blew me away I had a knife sticking out of my blackjack. Awesome looking weapon but I don't think that is supposed to be like that? :)

Really looking forward to the next episode

Unfortunate you didn't like it.

This game is primary about stealth. People have been used to it. I wanted to turn the tables and put the player in the situation where HE is surprised for a change. To do something different people are used to. Drive the player a bit away from their comfort zone. I still feel it was the good decision. People should practice a bit with the melee trainer.

The lich queen is not that difficult. All the player got to do is to land a single blow, which I could manage with very low amount of injuries without autoparry on. I'm puzzled how it can be so hard. Maybe you have melee difficulty set on expert?

Killing? You did read the scroll she left, did you?

I hope this answers some questions.

@swordbreaker:

The mission was designed evilly so that some time after the lich incident a customer arrives to the shop. (Murphy's Law). If the player has cleaned the shop room of all evidence of murder (weapons, bloodstains, bodies), the customer will just think the shopkeeper is away and leaves. If she spots something suspicious, she goes to fetch guards to solve the situation.

It looks like I made the mission too dynamic: there are too many things people are not used to. In many missions the player can just leave blood and bodies around and there will be no harm. I wanted to be an exception to this rule as well, as it brings in more guards.

At any rate: I still think I made the right decisions with the mission. It may try too much, perhaps, but there are many good things that sets this apart from any other missions there are at present. The biggest problem is possibly the things people are used to. This mission will bend those things a bit.

It's beyond dynamic. It's bad curse lol. I'll definitely think every possibilities on your next gems ;)

The appearance could be a bit better, there could be more houses to go to - BUT:

Story + Positive:

The Story is definitely outstanding good. (I also could easily understand the language - my main problem)

The script sequences are excellent!! The bookstore ;) --- ahhhhh ;) ;) - the prison... very very nice!!!!!!

I love them! Normally I kill/ko everybody and collect the money, but here it doesn't work - this makes this mission very intense.

definitely the best gameplay mission, not the best visual mission at all, but all in all - this is definitely my favorite mission

@Springheel

for me the combat was not that hard - Just one hit and the skeleton was dead - i liked this. Very scary and a bit challenging. But maybe there should be set an auto save before entering the house

Edited by Berny

It also has to be said...

The small puddles around town were a nice touch. They can give you away to near-by guards if you're not careful. It is a

nice example of using weather to affect the gameplay.

Edited by lost_soul

--- War does not decide who is right, war decides who is left.

This might be a silly question, but how do you light the fireplace? The objective mentions finding some firewood, but I haven't found any wood I can actually put into the fireplace.

Search the abandoned house more carefully. Also think a logical place for firewood. Where would it be?

Clipper

Sotha, did you read my comments?

At least about the trouble I ran into with the Revenant? I had no time to hide or do anything but die...

Yes, I read it.

So you chose to encounter the queen injured and got killed?

Try it again with good health, there are plenty of healing potions in the map (4).

All you need to do is to land just one blow. Try to time it so that when she lifts her weapon to strike, attack her. Or let her hit you deliberately so that you can land that one hit.

If it is difficult, reduce melee combat difficulty from the options. If that is still difficult, I recommend the melee trainer. If that is difficult get the holy water arrows from the church and try to make a fast shot.

Clipper

I didn't chose to [...] that's just the way it worked out from my playthrough.

...and I had no possibility of getting away, at all. I think run! should always be an option to at least try. There was no chance to do anything but take a hit. I had used up all available potions already or I wouldn't have been in such shape.

Anyway, I think it's a valid criticism that you should consider.

I didn't chose to [...] that's just the way it worked out from my playthrough.

Well you had a map and knew where to go, so I assumed you chose the order you experience the locations in this mission..

Anyway, I think it's a valid criticism that you should consider.

All criticism is valid and everyone is entitled to their opinion.:laugh:

And it is impossible to please everyone at the same time.

Hopefully you get a better experience if you choose to play this mission again in the future.:)

Clipper