The Dark Mod Forums

Fisheye Resolution 1920x1080

SeriousToni

Greebo had said that the tdmlauncher would support other EXE's than the Doom3.exe as a command line argument (like tdmlauncher c:\games\doom3\doom3-renamed-to-darkathena.exe). This would enable ATI users to leave CatAI on and enjoy several (positive) OpenGL optimizations. However, I haven't managed to get it to work, tdmlauncher completely ignores the command line and only uses doom3.exe. So far, Greebo hasn't responded to neither my post nor my PM, but I do hope that he'll find the time to do so.

My Eigenvalue is bigger than your Eigenvalue.

• 2 weeks later...

Greebo had said that the tdmlauncher would support other EXE's than the Doom3.exe as a command line argument (like tdmlauncher c:\games\doom3\doom3-renamed- to-darkathena.exe). This would enable ATI users to leave CatAI on and enjoy several (positive) OpenGL optimizations. However, I haven't managed to get it to work, tdmlauncher completely ignores the command line and only uses doom3.exe. So far, Greebo hasn't responded to neither my post nor my PM, but I do hope that he'll find the time to do so.

I just uninstalled all ATI related things via Driver Cleaner and ATI Uninstaller. Then I just installed the display drivers (no CCC). This lead me to an upside down view, when Post Processing and Bloom were used.

"Einen giftigen Trank aus Kräutern und Wurzeln für die närrischen Städter wollen wir brauen." - Text aus einem verlassenen Heidenlager

After those steps you would need to install "Radeon Pro" to force Catalyst AI "off"...

Thread:

http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?t=33963638

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

After those steps you would need to install "Radeon Pro" to force Catalyst AI "off"...

Yep, I already read this (I am not a friend of these tweak software) - but instead of installing any new tools or work around everytime via dark athena - I'll just play without the bloom. It's not that critical.

"Einen giftigen Trank aus Kräutern und Wurzeln für die närrischen Städter wollen wir brauen." - Text aus einem verlassenen Heidenlager

So wait, you do have a normal view unless you enable Bloom. What about post-processing? I couldn't care less about Bloom, but I would never want to miss HDR (lite) again.

I have to turn off "Post Processing" elsewise it willl turn the screen upside down, yes. Just pulling the Bloom intensity to "0" doesn't help.

Tels, STiFU or any other coders, could you please look into this matter and fix the tdmlauncher.exe so it can launche TDM with any executable name?

Then we should be able to launch TDM like this:

tdmlauncher c:\games\doom3\doom3-renamed-to-darkathena.exe

Right now I can't get this to work.

Tels, STiFU or any other coders, could you please look into this matter and fix the tdmlauncher.exe so it can launche TDM with any executable name?

Then we should be able to launch TDM like this:

tdmlauncher c:\games\doom3\doom3-renamed-to-darkathena.exe

Right now I can't get this to work.

I was under the impression this already works, what kind of error do you get?

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

Well, none, actually. If I use the command line, go into the darkmod folder and type "tdmlauncher c:\games\doom3\darkathena.exe", absolutely nothing happens. The prompt returns back to where it was. I'm attaching a screenshot to illustrate my point.

post-3427-130195575798_thumb.png

Well, none, actually. If I use the command line, go into the darkmod folder and type "tdmlauncher c:\games\doom3\darkathena.exe", absolutely nothing happens. The prompt returns back to where it was. I'm attaching a screenshot to illustrate my point.

Hm, that would quality for a bug report. I tried to reproduce this on linux, but it does just launch doom normally, so looking into the code:

#ifdef WIN32
       // path to this exe
       boost::filesystem::path dmlauncher(argv[0]);

if (!dmlauncher.has_branch_path())
       {
               TraceLog::WriteLine("No path defined in argv[0], will prepend current directory.");
               dmlauncher = boost::filesystem::initial_path() / dmlauncher;
       }
#elif defined(__linux__)
       char exepath[PATH_MAX] = {0};
       std::size_t bytesRead = readlink("/proc/self/exe", exepath, sizeof(exepath));

boost::filesystem::path dmlauncher(exepath);

Or in other words, it *should* work on Winodws, but on Linux it is not implemented (and would even fail if you do not have a /proc file system), so I cannot test it. Even if it was implemented in Linux, I could not test that it works on Windows, either (as the code would be different).

Sorry :)

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

Well, the thing is, if I start tdmlauncher with that command line argument and a doom3.exe as well as a darkathena.exe are present, tdm starts without problems. It's just that it ignores the darkathena.exe and goes for the doom3.exe. As soon as I delete the doom3.exe and restart tdmlauncher with that cmd line argument, the issue in the above screenshot happens.

My tdmlauncher.log reads like this:

No path defined in argv[0], will prepend current directory.
Path to tdmlauncher is H:\Games\Doom3\darkmod\tdmlauncher
Darkmod directory is H:\Games\Doom3\darkmod\
Trying default value for engine executable is H:\Games\Doom3\DOOM3.exe
Could not find engine executable at default locations, will be searching command line arguments for a path to doom3 executable.
Current FM is: heart
Full argument string is: +set fs_game_base darkmod  +set fs_game heart
Starting process H:\Games\Doom3\DOOM3.exe +set fs_game_base darkmod  +set fs_game heart
Error when spawning D3 process: No such file or directory
Closing logfile.

Well, the thing is, if I start tdmlauncher with that command line argument and a doom3.exe as well as a darkathena.exe are present, tdm starts without problems. It's just that it ignores the darkathena.exe and goes for the doom3.exe. As soon as I delete the doom3.exe and restart tdmlauncher with that cmd line argument, the issue in the above screenshot happens.

My tdmlauncher.log reads like this:

No path defined in argv[0], will prepend current directory.

AH! I think that the command line argument is for the path, not the executable. (e.g. inside that path it still looks for doom3.exe).

So the tdm_launcher would really needed to be fixed to support a given filename, not just a path + doom3.exe.

You have no idea how happy this makes me. I really thought I'm too dumb to type a simple command line argument. Okay, is this a simple hack that can be done and distributed quickly, or must it be a part of a full-blown release (so I'd have to wait to 1.06)?

You have no idea how happy this makes me. I really thought I'm too dumb to type a simple command line argument. Okay, is this a simple hack that can be done and distributed quickly, or must it be a part of a full-blown release (so I'd have to wait to 1.06)?

It's quite simple and we could just push a new tdm_loader out, however, you have to ask greebo to do it. Have you filed a bug report already?

I just did. I have no idea if my entry conforms to the usual standards, but I hope it's clear enough to be reproducible.

• 2 months later...

Hey, I don't want to bother you, but I think this has to be mentioned (?)

I did a fresh install of my whole OS. (before: XP - now: Win7) and as I downloaded the graphics driver I chose only the display driver, so there was no Catalyst Control Centre or Catalyst AI. I just have installed the drivers now and still the screen is upside down when using Post Processing.

Also the skybox is turned upside down (even if I DEACTIVATE Post Processing) and it is moving as I am moving the mouse! This can make you feel sick, believe me :-D Outdoor scenes become really really hated because of that.

As there may be no fix I might have to live with this but I wonder how my graphics card can cause so much annoying errors to this game.

See Fidcal's resolution for the spinning sky:

Someone might come up with a better solution but try this for now:

Create a new folder in your darkmod folder called materials.

Within it create a plain text file named no_skybox.mtr

Paste in the following:

textures/smf/portal_sky

{

qer_editorimage env/skyboxes/skybox_ocean/ocean_ed

noFragment

noimpact

nooverlays

forceOpaque

noShadows

{

forceHighQuality

blend add

cameraCubeMap env/skyboxes/skybox_darkland_ne/darkland_NE

texgen skybox

texgen wobblesky .0 .0 .0

}

}

I've not tried it myself yet and anyway it is certain to be inconsistent with some FMs as there are many different skies but hopefully it will be better than a spinning sky.

Thread:

http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/11917-skybox-bug/

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

Toni, ATI card? Turn Catalyst AI OFF if you can, you should be able to do this easily in driver revisions before 11.x (I use 10.10 myself).

Intel Sandy Bridge i7 2600K @ 3.4ghz stock clocks
8gb Kingston 1600mhz CL8 XMP RAM stock frequency
Sapphire Radeon HD7870 2GB FLeX GHz Edition @ stock @ 1920x1080

Turn Catalyst AI OFF if you can

Hey, no as I already said I only installed the graphics driver, so there is no CCC and no CAI. I don't know much about hardware graphics driver, but I guess that's not an issue caused by Catalyst A.I. only.

It might be installed with the driver, but the control for it comes with the CCC suite. Uh.... try the RadeonPro tool some people were using for 11.x drivers?

Intel Sandy Bridge i7 2600K @ 3.4ghz stock clocks
8gb Kingston 1600mhz CL8 XMP RAM stock frequency
Sapphire Radeon HD7870 2GB FLeX GHz Edition @ stock @ 1920x1080