The Dark Mod Forums

Hello world!

ocn

In light of recent events in Japan, I feel I should say a few words before we lose more of our fellow men and women. War, famine, poverty, natural disasters claim lives every day. I feel more globally aware now than ever. Not intellectually, but emotionally... I feel connected to the collective in a profound way. No, I'm not doing drugs. We are many, but in a way we are also one- we all share the need and desire for equal opportunity at happiness, and to live our lives peacefully. There are so many wonderful human beings out there that I will never get the chance to meet, but since we're on the same path I'd like to think I know them just the same. I am humbled and honored to have shared this earth in this lifetime with all of you.

Where are the REAL brits?! The one's we have are just brit-ish.

yes, I was thinking only recently what with Libya and the middle east uprisings and now Japan's tragedy we are more aware more rapidly of what's going on than ever before. I still think there is some underlying social evolutionary process that is drawing societies together and improving them - even if it takes thousands of years. :)

That's a nice sentiment.

I like Creed's song One, "We may rise and fall, but in the end we'll meet our fate together."

I'd only add that the best way to make connections IMO isn't to minimize cultural differences and try to stuff everyone into a smaller tent (our tent), but to embrace the differences and widen the tent to cover all the small tents. The best way to feel connected to Japanese is to live there for a year and learn about the things they value from the inside, like patience, teamwork & onigiri (a kind of rice-snack). Ideally you'd live in every country with every community to feel universally connected, but there isn't enough time, so you do your best to understand different people (watch their movies & read their books), and hope they do the same, and we all get a little closer than we were before.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

My heart goes out to the people of Japan. The above sentiments are shared. What makes me ill is the stupid comments I've read, some people are making about Hiroshima, that they had this coming to them. Are you kidding me!! Ignorance like that, just infuriates me.

Yeah, as if nuking two cities wasn't enough payback for an attack on a military base.... :rolleyes:

Theres a 14 page thread about that on The Escapist, please don't destroy these forums with that stuff too :(

Intel Sandy Bridge i7 2600K @ 3.4ghz stock clocks
8gb Kingston 1600mhz CL8 XMP RAM stock frequency
Sapphire Radeon HD7870 2GB FLeX GHz Edition @ stock @ 1920x1080

Japanese fishermen living in the year 2011 are not responsible for anything that happened in World War II. White people living in Europe are not responsible for the slave trade which was abolished over one hundred years before they were born. Modern-day men are not responsible for the fact that their great-grandmothers did not have the right to vote.

I don't know who came up with the idea that being born into a particular country, race or demographic group renders one responsible for every act ever committed by members of that group throughout history, but it has got to be one of the stupidest ideas ever created by humanity.

I'm still trying to work off the bad karma for what we did to the Neanderthals.

And...your point?

My point is to stop bashing USA.

Japanese fishermen living in the year 2011 are not responsible for anything that happened in World War II.

Disaster in Japan is not a punishment, such idea would be ridiculous.

White people living in Europe are not responsible for the slave trade which was abolished over one hundred years before they were born.

But generations after abolishion did benefit from the bussiness built on slavery. But that's different subject.

It's only a model...

..And what about nazis then? It is always politically okay to smite a nazi, but modern nazis cannot possibly be responsible what the nazis did in the second world war? :wacko:

What is evil? What is good? Is good something that benefits the majority of a given population? What if it means getting rid of certain individuals violently?

USA is bound to be bashed since they interfere constantly most countries business. Too big player gets always bashed.

Disaster in Japan is not a punishment, such idea would be ridiculous.

Punishment by whom? A secret nuke drilled to the tectonic plate?

In basic commerce other people get benefits from other people's suffering.

At any rate, hopefully the human suffering in Japan gets sorted out quickly. And I'd like their nuclear engines not blowing up all over the place. :(

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

And when exactly did I bash the USA?

..And what about nazis then? It is always politically okay to smite a nazi, but modern nazis cannot possibly be responsible what the nazis did in the second world war?

You judge people for what they do and what they say (and what they believe, in some cases), not for what their ancestors did. "Modern Nazis" are not judged because they're the descendants of Nazis, but because they approve of what the Nazis did.

Punishment by whom? A secret nuke drilled to the tectonic plate?

I meant "bad karma" sort of punishment.

At any rate, hopefully the human suffering in Japan gets sorted out quickly. And I'd like their nuclear engines not blowing up all over the place. :(

This is what we all wish.

And when exactly did I bash the USA?

I understand "nuking two cities" as a criticism towards USA.

It's only a model...

I understand "nuking two cities" as a criticism towards USA.

How is it "bashing" to state what actually happened?

Yeah, as if nuking two cities wasn't enough payback for an attack on a military base....

Maybe I shouldn't take your comment too seriously, but it wasn't as simple as "you destroyed our base, we will destroy your cities".

It's only a model...

I am pretty sure that Springheel was responding to the Redneck mentality that was exemplified by comments like:

"That's what those Krauts get for nuking Pearl Harbor"...

...Rather than some long held antipathy toward Japan due to the magnitude of their war crimes.

(Of which, Orbweaver correctly assesses "The quake victims are not responsible for their ancestors' crimes.")

(Though, if the death tolls show a strong statistical concentration of WWII generals... maybe the Westboro Baptist Church folks will have something more substantial for their "evidence pile" )

Edited by nbohr1more

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

Maybe I shouldn't take your comment too seriously, but it wasn't as simple as "you destroyed our base, we will destroy your cities".

I'm not saying it was. I was responding to a comment about those who claim Japan "deserved" this disaster because of their attack on Pearl Harbour. Those people apparently don't think that the dropping fission bombs on two cities is enough "payback". That was the only point I was making. I happen to think the entire notion of natural disasters as 'punishment' is absurd.

I'm not saying it was. I was responding to a comment about those who claim Japan "deserved" this disaster because of their attack on Pearl Harbour. Those people apparently don't think that the dropping fission bombs on two cities is enough "payback". That was the only point I was making. I happen to think the entire notion of natural disasters as 'punishment' is absurd.

Ok, we agree then.

It's only a model...

I happen to think the entire notion of natural disasters as 'punishment' is absurd.

Under one of the video clips on youtube of the tsunami pushing inland into Japan, some dufus had posted a comment that it was karma punishing them for their whale boats.

I don't approve of the whaling, but I certainly would never claim that the Japanese population deserves being punished by Mother Earth for it.

Now if there had been a news report of their whaling fleet sinking (instead of a major disaster like they are experiencing), then I'd say 'sure, that's karma'.

System: Mageia Linux Cauldron, aka Mageia 8