The Dark Mod Forums

malloc failure for 4194312

Moon Hoplite

Hi, with TDM 1.04 I've been getting the:

malloc failure for 4194312 or the "Mission Loaded: Please Wait"

problems

when running Return to the City v2 and training mission.

I doubt my laptop vRAM is too low, since my page file size is set at 5000-6000 and I have 4GB RAM.

I use ATI CCC 10.11, and disabled catalyst AI.

Any ideas? Thanks.

Lowering screen resolution and AA settings has fixed this problem for a couple of other users.

If that does not help, please post a conDump.

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

Check your doomconfig.cfg. These settings should be like this

seta image_useNormalCompression "2"

seta image_useCompression "1"

I tested, according to FAQ to set them to 0 to speed up loading times. Doing so, however, resulted me in getting malloc errors randomly, which cleared when I set them like shown above.

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

@Soth, nbohrmore -

He shouldnt have to do any of these things... he has way more than enough ram. RttcV2 and other tdm missions only use upto 200-400mb when being played.

@Moon

I built that mission and had it tested on various machine some of which were considerably lower spec than yours. so can you tell me following details..

Your laptops make/model and full spec?

The OS your running and is its 32/64 bit.

Is your doom3 patched to 1.3.1

Press 'ctrl-alt-del' and tell me how much free memory you have just after logging into windows

The latest malloc error reports were from folks with less video RAM on their video cards... A laptop usually is going to skimp on this.

I happen to have 1GB on my 4650 so, in spite of its otherwise wimpy traits, it can handle a decent amount of textures...

The big suspects are the enhanced textures and normal maps from v1.04 :unsure:

All I know is I am seeing more reports from folks that have to lower resolution to avoid these errors ( ...or use more compression as Sotha suggested).

Did you test frame memory with

r_showMemory

?

(grr... damn underlines... )

The big suspects are the enhanced textures and normal maps from v1.04

What exactly has been done to textures that would make them cause malloc errors?

If increasing the resolution causes a crash, I'd say that is a pretty good case that the textures consume more graphic RAM.

If I were a betting man I would say that the normal maps could probably be excluded from suspicion (since normal map compression is not used in most cases anyway) but the textures with enhanced details might compress differently. Most compression schemes greatly reduce redundant data (like a large string of red pixels) but if you have lots of varied detail, then all that variation must be kept as a larger data-set (if you put pretty little cracks in your brick texture, it goes from being a string of red, red, red, red... to red, dark red, darker red, black, gray, etc). More detail = bigger when it comes to compression...

All this said, I can't really fault the mod for making prettier textures that might require some users to lower their settings.

I'm just glad it hasn't affected me. ^_^

Hi, with TDM 1.04 I've been getting the:

malloc failure for 4194312 or the "Mission Loaded: Please Wait"

problems

when running Return to the City v2 and training mission.

I doubt my laptop vRAM is too low, since my page file size is set at 5000-6000 and I have 4GB RAM.

I use ATI CCC 10.11, and disabled catalyst AI.

Any ideas? Thanks.

Moon. In your video settings menu, are the settings for compress textures and compress normals 'enabled' or 'disabled'?

If increasing the resolution causes a crash, I'd say that is a pretty good case that the textures consume more graphic RAM.

I'm highly skeptical that prettying up textures (without changing the size and/or resolution) could have that kind of an effect.

My money is on Sotha's observation:

Check your doomconfig.cfg. These settings should be like this

seta image_useNormalCompression "2"

seta image_useCompression "1"

I tested, according to FAQ to set them to 0 to speed up loading times. Doing so, however, resulted me in getting malloc errors randomly, which cleared when I set them like shown above.

Those changes introduce image compression.

If those changes reduce errors that means that the textures were too large or the scene had too many textures for the targeted hardware.

1) It could be more new players are coming into TDM and fiddling with DoomConfig.cfg before playing?

2) It could be that TDM 1.04 ships with a different DoomConfig.cfg where those are not the default?

Or...,

It could be that TDM 1.04 has larger textures such that old missions now stress lower-end cards more than they used to?

If Sotha's suggestion is correct, it does not exclude all of my hypothesis. ^_^

Edited by nbohr1more

1) It could be more new players are coming into TDM and fiddling with DoomConfig.cfg before playing?

2) It could be that TDM 1.04 ships with a different DoomConfig.cfg where those are not the default?

Or...,

It could be that TDM 1.04 has larger textures such that old missions now stress lower-end cards more than they used to?

lol It's a lot easier than even that. Have you checked the advanced video settings menu in the recent updates? We added the compression settings to the video settings menu as a way for people to bypass compression and reduce loading times. I take the blame for suggesting and implementing it. Compression has always been enabled since day 1.

It never occurred to me that allowing users to disable the compression of Normals would lead to these malloc errors. After doing some more tests, I can see that non-compressed normals do eat up a LOT of extra memory in some missions.

I'm looking into solutions.

lol It's a lot easier than even that. Have you checked the advanced video settings menu in the recent updates? We added the compression settings to the video settings menu as a way for people to bypass compression and reduce loading times. I take the blame for suggesting and implementing it. Compression has always been enabled since day 1.

It never occurred to me that allowing users to disable the compression of Normals would lead to these malloc errors. After doing some more tests, I can see that non-compressed normals do eat up a LOT of extra memory in some missions.

I'm looking into solutions.

I run 1.04 and cannot find a trace of any compression options in the advanced video menu ?!

Anyway, I activated all compression in the configuration files and I still get the error in Return to the City v2.

My hardware should be decent enough anyway - 4890 1GB, RAM 4GB.

So I feel quite out of options to fix that myself.

"Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly while bad people will find a way around the laws." - Plato

"When outmatched... cheat."— Batman

I run 1.04 and cannot find a trace of any compression options in the advanced video menu ?!

Anyway, I activated all compression in the configuration files and I still get the error in Return to the City v2.

My hardware should be decent enough anyway - 4890 1GB, RAM 4GB.

So I feel quite out of options to fix that myself.

So, under the video section...when you click advanced, you do not see the new texture compression options to enable or disable texture and normal compression? They should be right above the Level of Detail option.

I don't understand what's happening here....you're the third person who has said they don't have the menu options in 1.04.

Just to be sure, in your doomconfig you have...

image_usePrecompressedTextures "1"

image_useNormalCompression "2"

image_useAllFormats "1"

image_useCompression "1"

image_preload "1"

So, under the video section...when you click advanced, you do not see the new texture compression options to enable or disable texture and normal compression? They should be right above the Level of Detail option.

I don't understand what's happening here....you're the third person who has said they don't have the menu options in 1.04.

Just to be sure, in your doomconfig you have...

image_usePrecompressedTextures "1"

image_useNormalCompression "2"

image_useAllFormats "1"

image_useCompression "1"

image_preload "1"

I double checked all entries, all done so.

Still the malloc 4194312.

Adv. graphics options from a freshly torrented 1.04:

http://img6.immage.de/1503b1unbenannt.jpg

Edit:

Additionally disabling all graphical fancy yielded same results.

Edited by Outlooker

"Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly while bad people will find a way around the laws." - Plato

I double checked all entries, all done so.

Still the malloc 4194312.

Adv. graphics options from a freshly torrented 1.04:

http://img6.immage.de/1503b1unbenannt.jpg

Edit:

Additionally disabling all graphical fancy yielded same results.

Torrented you say. Hmmm, I wonder if the updated gui file was accidentally left out of the torrent package. Are you able to run tdm_update in the darkmod folder? I'm curious to know what happens if you do. Perhaps the torrented copy has some other issues.

Torrented you say. Hmmm, I wonder if the updated gui file was accidentally left out of the torrent package. Are you able to run tdm_update in the darkmod folder? I'm curious to know what happens if you do. Perhaps the torrented copy has some other issues.

Sorry, can't do because of adamant separation of online/non-online PCs;

However, I could copy DM over to the internet connected one, which runs Ubuntu - is the updater Linux capable too ?

Yup, tdm_update.linux should be in there too. :) That should do the trick. Thanks for helping with this Outlooker. We'll all have to double check these torrent releases a little more carefully to ensure this doesn't happen in the future.

Not sure if I'm doing it right - clicking that .linux file resulted in two seconds of activity and an updated tdm_version_info.txt

:

Oh and the logfile:

[added suffix .txt because forum didn't accept .log files]

Edit:Moving the updated darkmod folder back and running it under XP didn't change the adv. menu options nor the malloc.

tdm_version_info.txt

tdm_update.log.txt

Edited by Outlooker

• 1 month later...

Just wanted to make known I updated my ATI graphics driver today and the malloc failure is gone now.

Everything is running well (albeit slightly less fast, somehow, but what the heck).

• 1 year later...

I ran St. Albans Cathedral pretty well in 1.07, in 1.08 I get that malloc-failure. Another user reported this malloc-failure in WS1 - In the North/1.08. What has changed in 1.08? Here's a log.

Edit: Just saw this

http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/14252-malloc-failure-upon-starting-any-new-game/

I will try the suggestions.

Anyway: What's the difference in 1.08?

malloc.txt

Edited by fibanocci

I'm also interested. It happens to me with "In the North", "Rightful Property", "Sneak & Destroy" and "In Remembrance of Him".

Even after patching and nbohr1more .cfg tricks.

Even with 2GB RAM and 1GB GPU RAM !!

It never happened to my when I played last year (before 1.08) with older FMs.

@Outlooker: which drivers did you use please ?

Edited by plotzzz