The Dark Mod Forums

Fan Mission: St Alban's Cathedral [updated] version 1.6 (13/03/2011)

Bikerdude

All in all an excellent mission and very enjoyable. The cathedral was truly beautiful and well crafted. The city portion was fun and not too big that I got lost or lost my direction. I never played the previous version with less AI but I'm glad you balanced it because they seemed about right. Lots of guards but easy enough to avoid them and sneak about.

I'm assuming that some of the bugs already mentioned in this thread have not been gotten around to (and maybe won't and that's completely fine) because I encountered most all of them aside from the glass cabinet doors in the shop. No issue with them.

I did notice in the city section while crossing some roofs that the roof was black and starry like the sky-box and the texture twisted with the player camera rotation. I'm guessing I shouldn't have been where I was which was the small building roof in the center of the city section. I'm a climber though and rope arrowed to a vertical beam directly above the outside stairway and then shimmied along the window sills till I got over on the roof.

The chest in the tomb guard area was unopenable, I picked up the Cell Key twice which I was thinking maybe one of those was suppose to be to that chest. And that guard in that area sat on me in the corner like others have mentioned but I got laugh out of that. Silly AI's!! Know your roll!

I did wish there were more "player directing" readables as I was left wondering two or three times. I put the fake skull in the chest in the correct room because of the Devinci style drawing on the bed. If that hadn't worked I'd dropped it in all the chests until the objective completed so not really a big deal at all.

I'm glad you lit the switch on the cathedral ceiling as I noticed it prior to finding the message and climbed up the light chain on a leap of faith. Previously I'd jumped on a different light off the metal rafters in the cathedral and fell to my death :) so I wasn't sure I could do that but F5 and jump takes care of that.

The Latin message I wrote down and typed in to google translate and it didn't translate in a helpful word order so I wasn't sure what I was suppose to get out of it. Wasn't until I returned to the tombs looking for the bones again that I saw the stone on the floor and the exposed lever. I pulled it and heard the sound which sounded like it was in front of me and down. My issue with that was I had entered the Cathedral through the tomb sewer entrance and already thoroughly gone over every inch of it. After hearing the sound I went back through it again but thinking I'd already gotten the loot in the stone coffins I didn't open and check them again which led to a lot of confusion as to what the lever actually did. I guess I needed something more obvious which is embarrassing for a thief but had I been more thorough after the switch had been pulled I'm sure I'd found it. I'll remember that playing your missions requires more sleuth in the future. :)

I liked it a lot, had a great time playing it and enjoyed the architecture and lighting.

Thanks for a great FM!

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 8 months later...

Hey, Bikerdude! Several days ago I found that there is no downloadable link on the mission's page and, in addition, the version on that page IS NOT a 1.6 but a 2.0. What does it mean? Are you working on another update right now?)

• 1 month later...

Hi Bikerdude,

i'll be waiting for the 2.0 too, i've just finished "Caduceus of St. Alban" today (wonderful planetarium by the way),

and I just realized I can't play the St Alban's Cathedral :/

St Albans Cathedsral 2.0

Evening

The cave is all fixed and I have improved the perf in the town noticably (the DC is down from 3300 to 2000). Im going through the list of bugs people found in this thread, but in the meantime can I have some volunteers to beta test the updated version befroe i upload it to the mirrors.

ta.

• 3 weeks later...