The Dark Mod Forums

Error Doom 3

Lady Jo

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you know what your motherboard model is?

Or which chipset it uses?

(Possibly terrible translation :blush: )

Savez-vous ce que votre modèle de carte mère est?

Ou qui chipset qu'elle utilise?

If not please install CPU-Z and click the "Mainboard" tab then post a screen:

http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html

(Another translation):

Si ce n'est pas s'il vous plaît installer CPU-Z et cliquez sur "Carte mère"puis après un écran

Edited by nbohr1more

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

I would try installing these drivers then re-installing your ATI video card drivers.

Motherboard Chipset Drivers:

http://download.gigabyte.eu/FileList/Driver/motherboard_driver_chipset_amd_7series-v2.0_xp32_novga.exe

http://download.giga..._xp32_novga.exe

(...Translation)

Je voudrais essayer d'installer ces pilotes, puis ré-installer les pilotes de votre carte vidéo ATI.

Pilotes chipset de carte mère:

Edited by nbohr1more

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

Yeah that's what I advised on the french forum but no dice. Right now I'm stumped.

What we know (editing this as we go):

• Fresh installs of Doom 3 1.3.1.1304 crash to desktop either when loading a level (80% of the time) or after up to one hour in-game (20% of the time).
  • The Dark Mod always crashes to desktop when loading missions.
  • XP SP3, Radeon HD 48XX, Phenom 9600, 4GB RAM with 3,25GB Windows XP 32-bit limit.
  • Chipset, audio and graphic drivers are up to date. Direct X is up to date. Windows is fully up to date through Windows Update.
  • Catalyst AI is off.
  • Doom 3 was cleanly reinstalled multiple times and yields the same results.
  • Windows is freshly installed, and that crash didn't happen before formatting/reinstalling the OS.
  • The hardware configuration of the PC hasn't changed.
  • Chkdsk yields nothing.
  • Turning off the antivirus doesn't help.
  • Windows page file both forced to ~4000 MB or allowed to be managed on the fly by the system doesn't help.
  • Memtest detects nothing.

Lady Jo, corrige moi si j'ai faux.

Edited by Briareos H

I think a stress/memory test might be in order, to rule out any problems with bad memory, overheating and the like. Memtest86 would be the obvious choice for memory, not sure if there are other tools for stress-testing GPU and graphics driver performance as well.

I'm no expert but I still think we're on the wrong track. The original Doom3 plays OK but small Dark Mod FMs do not. So I don't see why we are looking at hardware at all.

Lady Jo, did you back up and replace your original DoomConfig.cfg from when you previously used to play Dark Mod OK? Or did you use the default DoomConfig.cfg provided by the updater installer then just changes settings in the menus?

Can you run tdm_update.exe again and just check that it definitely says nothing to update?

I'm no expert but I still think we're on the wrong track. The original Doom3 plays OK but small Dark Mod FMs do not.

Not always, I sometimes have to relaunch Doom 3, 4 - 5 times with the same error message before the game dashes???

Thus therefore, the fms of DarkMod has the same error

I use the default DoomConfig.cfg provided by the updater installer

and for tdm_update :

Your installation is up to date

Edited by Lady Jo

So even Doom 3 crashes? Yet this is the same machine where it worked before. The only difference being you formatted Drive C and re-installed Windows and Doom3 afresh plus patch.

Please look at my post which describes everything we currently know about the computer and the problem.

Edited by Briareos H

Yeah - sorry I didn't read that properly. I didn't think it mentioned that all was well previously but it does.

Someone mentioned DirectX but I don't know if that was resolved. Anyone know if the default with Win98, or rather SP3, is enough for Doom3?

Any value in Lady Jo doing a condump just after loading Doom3 so we can see if there is anything in the console?

has it anything to do with the Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 x86 Redistributable Setup we use for dark radiant, is this version also needed for the 1.04 update.

how about an auto update from microsoft I know new versions of the operating system kernel and .net files were updated in the last 3 months

has it anything to do with the Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 x86 Redistributable Setup we use for dark radiant, is this version also needed for the 1.04 update.

TDM itself doesn't need any redistributable package, that's only needed for DarkRadiant. TDM has the runtime libraries linked in statically, DarkRadiant does not, that's why it needs the redist pack.

When I open the console of Doom 3 to the launch

2czsvwcyaq_tn.jpg

I wonder what s_driver does. Must be sound-related. It's not defined on my system either.

s_driver
"s_driver" is:"0" default:"0"
Dummy CVAR introduced by TDM to fix a console warning in Windows. Seems to be
missing, but D3's mpmain.gui references this.

• 4 weeks later...