The Dark Mod Forums

New Dues Ex Video

jdude

I hope this wasn't posted already, it's the first mission from the new Dues Ex game:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HAYqjEhaiXE

I'm mad. What is wrong with game developers? Why are adult 18+ games like this being developed for little kids? I don't want 3rd person, I don't want yellow outlines, I don't want take down cutscenes and I don't want control boxed popping up every time I do something to remind me how to do it just encase I just had a concussion and forgot how to play the game!!! Right at the start the woman playing implied immersion was a big factor in the game. What a joke...

How does ANY of these features add to immersion? Do these idiots even know what immersion is? Maybe they lost their dictionary... How disconnected are the game developers from their customers today??? I know I'm not the first person to say this but after seeing the Crysis 2 multiplayer I've been very disappointed by the industry. I've traditionally been optimistic about the industry, but slowly since the release of Halflife 2 I've been going downhill. Maybe I'm no longer in the target demo or maybe it's time for a second video game industry crash?

I've lost hope that Thief 4 will be any good after seeing this. I bet it will have the same mechanics, third person crap to view around corners highlighted simplistic views etc.

...I just needed to rant because this video made me mad...

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

is it possible some or most of that stuff is just for the first level as a trainer? I'm thinking maybe the yellow outline crap and control reminders won't be in the rest of the game.

But the RETARDED third person take-downs and ladder climbing break immersion so badly I have to agree that it looks very disappointing. It's like I'll play then get the controller yanked out my hand for a few seconds, then handed back to me to play for a minute or two, then robbed again, over and over and over but with little crack highs in between that keep me coming back, mugged and raped repeatedly till there's no more man inside me to fight back.

shadowdark50.gif keep50.gif

As long as playing is optional instead of mandatory, the games industry can burn. Enough good old games, and small but fun indie games are around that all the new games can be failures and it isn't the end of the world. I'm replaying VTM Bloodlines with the community patch, trying to do all the stuff I didn't do the first time... and it's great fun. Mods, especially full conversion mods can add years of extra life to an old game.. but hell I don't have to tell you guys this, we're on the forums for a full conversion mod.

Intel Sandy Bridge i7 2600K @ 3.4ghz stock clocks
8gb Kingston 1600mhz CL8 XMP RAM stock frequency
Sapphire Radeon HD7870 2GB FLeX GHz Edition @ stock @ 1920x1080

It looks like a combination of promising classic Deus Ex environments and some seriously superfluous gimmicks. A lot about the game looks right (I am not 100% attached to the exact look, feel and gameplay of DX1, so change can be okay), and then you have things like the takedowns crap. :( I hope at least the yellow frob highlight can be switched off.

But unfortunetely, this is the price of game development in our time. It has become too expensive to do something like Thief or DX; you have to appeal to the broadest public possible.

So, again, thanks for TDM. Because this game could never exist in the current commercial environment.

Edited by Melan

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

is it possible some or most of that stuff is just for the first level as a trainer? I'm thinking maybe the yellow outline crap and control reminders won't be in the rest of the game.

Nope (as pointed out by Briareos H) on TTLG, they'll be there throughout the whole game and are not optional (the yellow outlines at least, though I wouldn't be surprised if this goes for the contextual control reminders as well).

One of the worst things about that video (asides from the third person crap) is the regenerative health, look at that baby climb! Where's the tension if I'm guaranteed to be back at full health by hiding behind a box for a few seconds?

It seems like modern developers want to do whatever they can to ensure you'll not give up on their game early. It's like whole games have become tutorials spread across 15 levels so that we are more likely to experience the whole game so we can know just how great the developers are.

At topic creator: I couldn't agree with you more when it comes to modern games. I too noticed the decline in game quality, but it started a wile earlier than you think. Just look at Unreal 2 DXIW, and TDS. The last game that I didn't feel ripped off after buying was Doom 3. Well I also enjoyed the heck out of the Penumbra games, but they "came out of nowhere". I wasn't expecting them and I had no knowledge of them during development, so Penumbra had no expectations to live up to. Thing is, while ranting about concepts in modern games sucking is fun, it has just gotten boring for me. When I read something about DNF having a two-weapon limit or health regeneration, I can't even bother to get angry anymore. I just shrug my shoulders and roll my eyes. :) If you want a Deus Ex sequel done right, check out The Nameless Mod. I absolutely loved the mod! It builds upon concepts that made the original game great, like character interaction, usable computers, branching plots, rewarding unnecessary exploration, and it has lots of replayability. While playing TNM, I would lose all track of time, which is something that used to happen to me while playing Deus Ex. "Oh look, it is six hours later now!" haha

--- War does not decide who is right, war decides who is left.

Oh, well, this looks on so many levels like TDM, but .. done slightly wrong.

Object manipulation (but objects get half-transparent?), sneaking (but switch to third-person? wtf?), sneak attack (except it is ultra-violent, three times give three different violent kills, but actually, it doesn't seem to matter in the slightest how you kill them at all. You probably might also have shot them...), frob highlight (except it is a cartoonish yellow outline and happens even from 20m away), etc.

(Edit: I forgot, the very TDM-like body-drag, which seems however useless in the game as they only do it "for fun" all the time :rolleyes: )

The only thing done right might be multi-path but don't know if this will be for the entire level or just for each scenario.

In any event, it is shocking how close TDM comes to that game (except the setting of course, and that I think TDM is the better game, but thats IMO :). The only real differences might be that we can't throw 10 level designers, 20 texture artists etc onto it.

In any event, the needless violence, the cartoonish yellow outlines from across the street and the constant switching between 1st and 3rd person will make me skip that game. The "press X to do this" is just insulting on top of that. I don't need a reminder what button to press.

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

This is what you get when developers are pretty much forced to "make something new" because they can't really afford it not selling, I may be wrong, but I guess it's NOT some hardcore fan in the main seat who's really hoping to give Deus Ex a new face no matter what the cost (even if it doesn't sell).

I'm not against the evolution and development of existing game series but when it starts to take away from what originally made the game good, then it's an absolute no go as far as I'm concerned.

So the series so far includes one genius game (which would be the first Deus Ex), one less genius (the second one, blergh) and now this, I can't even describe it... Really, I can't :P But it doesn't look too promising, at least not promising enough to fill the enormous shoes of the first game.

I think I might have more fun playing this (IF I do so) than playing the second game. (Even though I secretly found the second game to be tolerable, disregarding the shitty graphics, poor voice acting and rest of the yahoo that made it kinda suck.)

As for Thief 4.... May god have mercy on us all....

Mess up Thief 4, it would be the equivalent to stepping on what makes me a man.

Also forgot to agree with:

The "press X to do this" is just insulting on top of that. I don't need a reminder what button to press.

What ever happened to learning the controls? Are they gearing the game towards people with ridiculously short short-term memory?

Edited by GameDevGoro

Hey who did Jensons voice, it sounds very familiar! Was is the chap that did some of the lines for the AI in TDM, I can swear I have heard his voice in either some T2/TDM FMs.....

Notice the ragdoll drag - I wonder where they got that idea from, its looks a bit too much like our body drag.... i dont mind thr 3rd person, but christ I hate the fact the demo was shown on a console, the headlook is so sloooooow...

Edited by Bikerdude

Notice the ragdoll drag - I wonder where they got that idea from, its looks a bit too much like our body drag.... i dont mind thr 3rd person, but christ I hate the fact the demo was shown on a console, the headlook is so sloooooow...

I don't think that they got the body drag idea from TDM, it's not uncommon for similar ideas to appear independently at the same time. Definitely not a bad thing and looks quite good, I wonder if you'll be able to shoulder bodies though.

As soon as I saw the slow head turning I thought "Ah, this must be the Xbox version then" laugh.gif. I also saw there was some noticeable texture compression blurring or something similar (just before climbing down the first ladder), yet another reason to choose the PC version.

I don't think that they got the body drag idea from TDM,

Chronicles of Riddick (which this demo reminds me of VERY strongly) had body dragging like that years ago, as well as the "cut to 3rd person" actions, like ladder climbing.

You can bet T4 will look similar.

If thats the complete 1st level then it aint very big, I hope the yellow outline is disableable else that will be the first hack available for this game. If the color of the highlight is defined within an ini file then just change it transparent or black.

there's a problem with there multipaths, they're linear multipaths, once you go on another route you're stuck with it till you get to the end, it aint no free roaming multipath.

The video actually reminded me of the second splinter cell game, never played the rest of the game series, stupid protection system they used didn't like the scsi drive I had in my computer at that time and refused to let me run the game, unless I removed the scsi drive, wasn't going to unplug the cable to the second harddrive just to make a game work.

Have you seen the awful motion blur thing in crysis 2 multiplayer when you turn your head, its so bad I had to stop playing after 5 minutes cos I though I was going to be sick.

Edited by stumpy

Chronicles of Riddick (which this demo reminds me of VERY strongly) had body dragging like that years ago, as well as the "cut to 3rd person" actions, like ladder climbing.

I just finished Riddick: Dark Athena yesterday, and I couldn't agree more. I too was very much reminded of it when watching the trailer. Since I liked Riddick a lot, I don't mind the ladder-thing and the kill-shots so much. Of course, the ladder-climbing looks ridiculous when compared to the "ancient" Riddick game where the devs managed to make even this menial thing look cool. Just look at the way the DX character climbs the ladder: flop-flop-flop his hands go. Then compare it with Riddicks powerful grace - no comparison, really. What a shame...

My Eigenvalue is bigger than your Eigenvalue.

Just bought that on the cheap from playtrade, looking forward to replaying butcher bay with its updated look and then DA..

Well, if you knew the "old" Riddick, you'll be in for some surprise - or rather, you won't, because as a TDM player you know what effect HDR (even lite) has on the look of a game. The updated Riddick is no exception. Everything in Butcher Bay looks way more dirty, more gritty, more ... real. You'll love it!

My Eigenvalue is bigger than your Eigenvalue.

Jensen sounds like Garrett although a lighter tone and more breathie.

And the guy doing the other voice is the car from knight rider.

Am guessing from the sloppy game play that you could actually not kill that first sentry, and just use stealth to get by him.

Edited by stumpy

This is what you get when developers are pretty much forced to "make something new" because they can't really afford it not selling, I may be wrong, but I guess it's NOT some hardcore fan in the main seat who's really hoping to give Deus Ex a new face no matter what the cost (even if it doesn't sell).

I'm not against the evolution and development of existing game series but when it starts to take away from what originally made the game good, then it's an absolute no go as far as I'm concerned.

I spent almost 20 mins typing up a big essay on how corporations are stupid for targeting mass audiences instead of niche markets like hardcore loyal gamers. But basically I thought I could sum it up much quicker:

I think the decline in the quality of games as of late is due to corporations attempting to capture the largest markets with their products. Essentially this means software companies are competing head on with one another to get the best most popular game out there which is why they take old titles like Dues Ex and apply them to their new stuff because they think that since there's already a following, lets get those customers and then some.

This is why game prices are going through the roof, not pirating. If game companies had decent leadership they'd understand the concept of Niche marketing. Tripwire is great at this. They've made Killing Floor and Red Orchestra. The audiences for these games are very clear and they've had tremendous success in gaining popularity and thus sales due to their focus on their niches. The crappy leadership of today's game corporations and most corporations want the corporation to grow to enormous size by targeting as much as possible so how could you possibly please anyone when targeting that many people?

I spent almost 20 mins typing up a big essay on how corporations are stupid for targeting mass audiences instead of niche markets like hardcore loyal gamers. But basically I thought I could sum it up much quicker:

I think the decline in the quality of games as of late is due to corporations attempting to capture the largest markets with their products. Essentially this means software companies are competing head on with one another to get the best most popular game out there which is why they take old titles like Dues Ex and apply them to their new stuff because they think that since there's already a following, lets get those customers and then some.

This is why game prices are going through the roof, not pirating. If game companies had decent leadership they'd understand the concept of Niche marketing. Tripwire is great at this. They've made Killing Floor and Red Orchestra. The audiences for these games are very clear and they've had tremendous success in gaining popularity and thus sales due to their focus on their niches. The crappy leadership of today's game corporations and most corporations want the corporation to grow to enormous size by targeting as much as possible so how could you possibly please anyone when targeting that many people?

Yes. Exactly.

There's also the difference in big game companies that produce games that already have maybe previous successful games in a series and therefore needs to satisfy the potential following of that game series.

AND then we have game companies that still make games that they would actually care to play themselves, this is kinda rare to happen these days but you hear that as a sales-pitch from time to time, most recent would be the game Brink. I think they've mentioned that they actually play and enjoy the game themselves.

And that's in reality how it should be. What do you think happens when people sit down and make a game that they don't care about? That's far faar faaaaar from the wanted situation.

And you know, I think it would be fantastic if a game like Deus Ex or Thief or whatever was to be picked up by some game company that actually HAS real fans of the previous games. I know, a lot of people say that they are when they decide themselves or are assigned to make a sequel to a game that they in fact are fans, but end up disappointing a lot of fans because they just didn't get it.

I listened to the main guy who's leading the Thief 4 project, his name escapes me right now, and Thief wasn't even mentioned in the bit about his favorite games.

I know he didn't/doesn't have to mention it and he probably likes the games, but you know... it just struck me as a little off-putting.

But that's just me over-thinking things. :P

some guy called Rene was leading thief 4 and he said he was a big fan of thief games, but they've replaced him with someone else, who I think is the lead person on dues ex 3 but am not too sure about that as I haven't been on the eidos site for a while due to an irritating troll, although the troll was coming across as a poisonous person, so maybe they poisoned the small team for thief 4 and they all got replaced.

If companies are aiming for the biggest audience possible and the biggest profit why do they sign up to game killing deals with exclusive content with microsoft, as they take a games profit for the first 3 games and the company who made them don't see a cent till the fourth or fifth games. Citing piracy as a reason not to make games on PC is dumb cos the most pirated games are xbox game.

Edited by stumpy

some guy called Rene was leading thief 4 and he said he was a big fan of thief games, but they've replaced him with someone else, who I think is the lead person on dues ex 3 but am not too sure about that as I haven't been on the eidos site for a while due to an irritating troll, although the troll was coming across as a poisonous person, so maybe they poisoned the small team for thief 4 and they all got replaced.

That's a "community manager" position, not a "head of design" position. Basically, someone paid to be nice and friendly on the Internet among other things, drop hardcore fans some "exclusive" bits of information now and then, and build a buzz for the game. That makes everything they say part of the marketing effort. Not that I am blaming them for doing their jobs, but that also means if they say they love Thief, Deus Ex or whatever else, they are not exactly saying anything profound.

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

looked at a leaked play testers game play video from about 6 months ago when it was still slated for a 1st quarter 2011 release, and the yellow outline isn't there, nor is the constant hints about how to play the game there either, looks like the hud was turned off, probably to hide all this mamby pamby stuff from those playing. So the play testers were probably playing the game with the hud off to stop them from complaining.